Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flight Trimming

Post by mrsteven »

Ya requiring us to make our own bearings from wood seems rather farfetched.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by kjhsscioly »

It doesn't say wood. You could theoretically make them from metal. But I think the purpose of the rule was mainly to prevent people from using commercially made stuff to get a perfect pitch matched on both sides.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

kjhsscioly wrote:It doesn't say wood. You could theoretically make them from metal. But I think the purpose of the rule was mainly to prevent people from using commercially made stuff to get a perfect pitch matched on both sides.
ya thats true. I know teams that have gotten essentially pre-made kits that are online that are specific to SO saying 'SO legal.' I really dont like teams that use those because it's not in the spirit of the competition if someones giving you a mostly built one that all you do is attach prebuilt rotors to prebuilt motor stick.
chia
Division: Grad

Post by chia »

Well, it's not quite that simple to build a kit - then it wouldn't actually be "SO legal". I know what you mean, though... I built my first helicopter from a kit, and I'm really glad I managed to learn from it to build my newest one.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Not to sound arrogant, but I've never built one from a kit. But I bought a kit for Wright Stuff last year, which taught me a lot toward building indoor duration models. Kit's do help, however students should take the experience and build their own helicopters.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

illusionist wrote:Not to sound arrogant, but I've never built one from a kit. But I bought a kit for Wright Stuff last year, which taught me a lot toward building indoor duration models. Kit's do help, however students should take the experience and build their own helicopters.
nah thats not arrogant, this is my first year doing building events so Im learning as im going. I started out on a kit from the SO site (and no, not prebuilt lol) and now I designed my own that works reasonably well (idk how good until state to see me compared to others)
thewinner
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by thewinner »

I built my first helicopter from a kit. IMO, I think it's actually better to start with a kit, especially if you have no prior experience with indoor flight. First of all, building a kit teaches you how to work with balsa, which is arguably very important. Also, it teaches you the basic mechanics behind how the thing flies and basically protects you from the fail whale.
However, I dislike kits being used at competition. I think I said this in the Designs and Kits thread, but most of the medaling helicopters in NJ States were kits.
I win.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Yup, I basically agree with everything above. I wish there was some way for Event Supervisors to know if it was a kit or custom-built....
BTW, what's a 'fail whale"? :oops:
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

illusionist wrote:Yup, I basically agree with everything above. I wish there was some way for Event Supervisors to know if it was a kit or custom-built....
BTW, what's a 'fail whale"? :oops:
^^ Agree, but I think you can use kits, just not ones that are basically entirely premade.
and fail whale? that was actually pretty epic
thewinner
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by thewinner »

I'm sorry. 'Fail whale' was unnecessary.
And I also wish supervisors knew whether a helicopter was built from a kit. I know that's excessive, since supervisors don't actually have a lot of time, but I can still dream, can't I? :lol:
I win.

Return to “Helicopters C”