Flight Trimming

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flight Trimming

Post by illusionist »

Most of the time, it just takes a tiny drop of glue to balance out the rotors. Put it on the tips of the rotors (lever efficiency and all).
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by kjhsscioly »

The issue with that is that you can't predict how heavy the glue is going to be. I like to sand the corners of the heavy side, so I can control what I take off.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

good idea! but if it only is off enough that a single drop of glue or a little sanding fixes it, then is it really worth fixing at all? what kind of difference does it make time wise?
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

I don't know, but in my opinion, weather always amplifies imbalances, so in the event it is humid, or the room is breezy, I like to balance my stuff.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

chia wrote:Hmmm...
2e. Rotor construction: Competitors must construct the rotors themselves. Commercially available rotors or propellers must not be used in whole or part. Rotor thrust bearings may be commercially available items.
I interpreted this as meaning any part of the Ikara prop -hanger included- is not allowed.
So using this
and its corresponding hanger wouldn't be allowed. I know it says bearings can be commercially available, but that just means beads or teflon washers, right?
Again, not the place for clarifications, blah...
To be clear on my earlier post. The only thing illegal under this years rules is the plastic hub and spars to the left in that picture as they are part of the rotor. The bead, washer, wire, and round plastic dohicky (a complex technical term meaning something I don't know the name of!) to the right is part of the prop hanger and OK as others have mentioned.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

Ya requiring us to make our own bearings from wood seems rather farfetched.
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

It doesn't say wood. You could theoretically make them from metal. But I think the purpose of the rule was mainly to prevent people from using commercially made stuff to get a perfect pitch matched on both sides.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

kjhsscioly wrote:It doesn't say wood. You could theoretically make them from metal. But I think the purpose of the rule was mainly to prevent people from using commercially made stuff to get a perfect pitch matched on both sides.
ya thats true. I know teams that have gotten essentially pre-made kits that are online that are specific to SO saying 'SO legal.' I really dont like teams that use those because it's not in the spirit of the competition if someones giving you a mostly built one that all you do is attach prebuilt rotors to prebuilt motor stick.
chia

Post by chia »

Well, it's not quite that simple to build a kit - then it wouldn't actually be "SO legal". I know what you mean, though... I built my first helicopter from a kit, and I'm really glad I managed to learn from it to build my newest one.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Not to sound arrogant, but I've never built one from a kit. But I bought a kit for Wright Stuff last year, which taught me a lot toward building indoor duration models. Kit's do help, however students should take the experience and build their own helicopters.

Return to “Helicopters C”