I need help building Parlor Copter from A2Z

Taji34
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I need help building Parlor Copter from A2Z

Post by Taji34 »

Hey, Does anyone know how to build the Parlor Copter from A2Z Corp? I got the rotors done but the rest of the instructions are vague and confusing, any help?
chia
Division: Grad
State: IL

Re: I need help building Parlor Copter from A2Z

Post by chia »

I built the same one for my invitationals. I ended up sort of winging it... look more at the picture than the instructions (I agree they are pretty confusing).
Also, ignore the whole "three strips of the same length" thing. I just used one 1/16x1/16 piece with a sort of v-slit and glued it against the rotor with that side facing in. I don't know if that's the best method, but it worked and kept weight off of the rotor.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Dig back through this board, that's a pretty standard design, you should see lots of hints & tips how to build. One rotor should have a wire through it and fit the bearing that's glued on the motor stick. The other end of the motor stick should have a hook attached for the other end of the rubber band. The other rotor is glued to the motor stick I suspect. In flight, the motor stick and attached rotor spin one way, the rotor in the bearing spins the other.

Hope that helps, if not, get more specific with your questions, where you are stuck, what's confusing, etc, we should be able to help.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Taji34

Post by Taji34 »

The part i'm stuck on is where i attach the two rotors it has you make, it says to make the "hub" but it only shows a picture of the "hub" and it doesn't tell you how to build it, then it says attach the rotors to it and it still doesn't give any instructions on how to do that. any help with that?
chia

Post by chia »

If you mean the hub for the fixed rotor, all I did was directly glue the middle spar to the motor stick. I honestly can't think of anything else it could be asking for there.
If you're talking about the free rotor (powered by rubber), then that's what I was talking about in my first post.
Also, all you have to do to make the rest of the prop hanger is glue the already bent piece of metal onto the end of your motor stick (it doesn't have to go inside it or anything, like it sort of looks in the picture - I think what the picture means is that you can add extra reinforcement). Make sure that's parallel, then bend the prop shaft from the piece of wire.
Either way, make sure you don't bend the wire and glue it to the rotor only to find out now you can't add the thrust bearings or attach it to the motor stick! Do one first, put the wire through the prop hanger and add bearings, then do the other.

...Does that kind of make more sense? If not, ask again about the part that was confusing. Try and look around in the image gallery, too (it's on the top right of the screen).

And not to confuse you further, but since there's wire left at the end once you have already bent it and glued it to the rotor, you can keep it instead of clipping it off to make a "ceiling bumper" thing - it prevents the top rotor from hitting the ceiling and possibly breaking.
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>
Taji34

Post by Taji34 »

That's a little better, Thanks. I'm not strong in the whole following directions part, but when it comes to crunch time I can figure anything out. :P Again Thanks.
chia

Post by chia »

Crunch time... yeah, that's me and writing assignments. ;)
Either way, did you make the rotors 30 cm across, like it comes in the kit, or extend them? I think that might have been a problem with mine - it was .25 grams under anyway, it would have been helpful for me to make them longer. I just didn't have the wood at the time >.>
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>
Taji34

Post by Taji34 »

nope, I kept them the same but now that you mention it i might change it.
Tyncidog
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by Tyncidog »

I also have a problem. I understand you have to cement one of the spars to the motor stick. But how do I connect the other rotor or spar to the motor so it can swivel. I do not understand what the hub is supposed to do. I really hate these plans that I got from this website. Please Help.... =)
Frogger4907
State: KS

Post by Frogger4907 »

Tyncidog wrote:I also have a problem. I understand you have to cement one of the spars to the motor stick. But how do I connect the other rotor or spar to the motor so it can swivel. I do not understand what the hub is supposed to do. I really hate these plans that I got from this website. Please Help.... =)
The thrust bearing which looks like a C with bend corners should be fasted to the motor stick (the side that angles up should go up) with the film included and some glue, then the wire is attached to the rotor vertically and is to be fed into and threw both holes in the thrust bearing and should then be made into a hook.
Hope this helps, write back with questions.
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals

Return to “Helicopters C”