New York 2011

Locked
Syzygy
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: February 6th, 2011, 6:08 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: New York 2011

Post by Syzygy » February 6th, 2011, 7:12 pm

In our region the teams going to states are exactly the same as last year If I recall. Thomas and Schroeder flipped, surprisingly. Last year Brighton was 8th in the state and Thomas was 10th.

1.) Brighton 1
2.) Webster Schroeder
3.) Webster Thomas
4.) Brighton 2
5.) East Rochester

User avatar
VirtualD
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 5:49 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: New York 2011

Post by VirtualD » February 7th, 2011, 6:10 am

Capital Region Regionals:

1. Columbia A
2. Niskayuna A
3. Columbia B (sigh)
4. Shaker Hill A
5. Ballston Spa
6. Niskayuna B

My team (Roxbury) got 7th place. We missed going to states by FIVE POINTS. >_< There's a chance we might go if another team drops out of States, but...
Regionals '10
Bridge - Gold
Ornithology - Gold
States '10
Bridge - Bronze
Ornithology - Silver
Physical Science Lab - Gold!
Hit For The Cycle! ^_^
Image http://dragcave.net/view/a8GX Feeed us![/color]

User avatar
Primate
Member
Member
Posts: 409
Joined: January 15th, 2009, 4:34 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: New York 2011

Post by Primate » February 7th, 2011, 7:45 am

Syzygy wrote:In our region the teams going to states are exactly the same as last year If I recall. Thomas and Schroeder flipped, surprisingly. Last year Brighton was 8th in the state and Thomas was 10th.

1.) Brighton 1
2.) Webster Schroeder
3.) Webster Thomas
4.) Brighton 2
5.) East Rochester
Thomas graduated some good kids, as did Brighton. Points were insanely close--came down to one point between first and second and between third and fourth.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps

Syzygy
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: February 6th, 2011, 6:08 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: New York 2011

Post by Syzygy » February 7th, 2011, 7:53 am

Primate wrote:
Syzygy wrote:In our region the teams going to states are exactly the same as last year If I recall. Thomas and Schroeder flipped, surprisingly. Last year Brighton was 8th in the state and Thomas was 10th.

1.) Brighton 1
2.) Webster Schroeder
3.) Webster Thomas
4.) Brighton 2
5.) East Rochester
Thomas graduated some good kids, as did Brighton. Points were insanely close--came down to one point between first and second and between third and fourth.
Yeah, we lost really most of our research powerhouses. After this year Thomas will lose at regionals, their tech events are all done by really good seniors, and they don't have any replacements. Schroeder looks really strong though...

User avatar
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: March 7th, 2009, 7:14 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Turning and turning in the widening gyre

Re: New York 2011

Post by paleonaps » February 7th, 2011, 12:09 pm

RandomPerson wrote:
paleonaps wrote:So this year, you're actually weaker than last year?
Regionals isn't a good indicator of team strength, FM in particular I see as a late blooming team. Plus, the difference is insignificant and likely due to luck. Don't get your hopes up.
My hopes are always up. I want more than anything to beat you. And to win the lottery.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

personasaurus rex
Member
Member
Posts: 358
Joined: July 7th, 2010, 9:39 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: New York 2011

Post by personasaurus rex » February 7th, 2011, 1:26 pm

sciencegirl23 wrote:For the Mid-Hudson region:

1. Spackenkill (40 points)
2. Goshen (102 points)
3. John Jay (105 points)

These are the teams that are making it to states.
Now it's top 4 teams going to states, so add Roy C. Ketcham to there
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

User avatar
quizbowl
Member
Member
Posts: 1044
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 3:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Syosset High, WLI, NY --> UChicago '16

Re: New York 2011

Post by quizbowl » February 7th, 2011, 7:24 pm

I just realized - I must have seen Smartkid222 medal in astronomy and Glacierguy1 run wind power. And I obviously saw BroNiSciGuy there - I even shook his hand!
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

User avatar
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: March 7th, 2009, 7:14 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Turning and turning in the widening gyre

Re: New York 2011

Post by paleonaps » February 8th, 2011, 12:20 pm

Isn't it weird when you realize that kind of thing a few days after the tournament? I had the same thing happen with blue cobra.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

User avatar
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 927
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 9:10 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Long Island

Re: New York 2011

Post by gneissisnice » February 8th, 2011, 4:04 pm

Syzygy wrote:
Primate wrote:
Syzygy wrote:In our region the teams going to states are exactly the same as last year If I recall. Thomas and Schroeder flipped, surprisingly. Last year Brighton was 8th in the state and Thomas was 10th.

1.) Brighton 1
2.) Webster Schroeder
3.) Webster Thomas
4.) Brighton 2
5.) East Rochester
Thomas graduated some good kids, as did Brighton. Points were insanely close--came down to one point between first and second and between third and fourth.
Yeah, we lost really most of our research powerhouses. After this year Thomas will lose at regionals, their tech events are all done by really good seniors, and they don't have any replacements. Schroeder looks really strong though...
When I was in 12th grade, we thought we were gonna do terrible. Our seniors from the year before graduated, and they were our main tech people, and they were also great at a lot of the study events. Regionals was a rude awakening; we got 2nd for the first time that anyone could remember (we've gotten first at regionals every year before that) and we thought states was gonna be terrible. But in the end, we got 2nd at States and went to Nationals for the first time in years, and we did pretty well at Nationals (16th or something). So you can't always tell.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

pri
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 3:02 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: New York 2011

Post by pri » February 10th, 2011, 4:34 pm

sciencegirl23 wrote:For the Mid-Hudson region:

1. Spackenkill (40 points)
2. Goshen (102 points)
3. John Jay (105 points)

These are the teams that are making it to states.
I was at the Mid-Hudson regional competition. Congratulations to these three teams!!

Locked

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest