New York 2011

BroNiSciGuy
Division: C
State: NY

Re: New York 2011

Post by BroNiSciGuy » March 20th, 2011, 11:11 am

saccharinegray wrote:Anyhow, congrats to everyone! Ardsley did a personal best, so hopefully we'll keep improving.
Not quite true. Ardsley was 22nd in both 1999 and 2000.
Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Regional Site Coordinator, Nassau West, NY
State Event Supervisor, NY
National Event Supervisor, USA

nattoki

Post by nattoki » March 20th, 2011, 11:19 am

paleonaps wrote:
FueL wrote:
paleonaps wrote: Why, thank you.
We had a question on IDing a bird from a feather. I think it was a barred owl.
Was it the same event coordinator from B division? How many bird calls were there? Sorry, but I must know. :geek:
Yes. 4 Calls, and we got every one.
Just curious, but what did you id the calls as? We guessed northern mockingbird for one but then changed it to yellow breasted chat at the last second...
Events: Ornithology, Disease Detectives, Microbe Mission
Regionals: 1st, 2nd, 1st
States: 2nd for ornithology (the others went very badly...)

quizbowl
Division: Grad

Post by quizbowl » March 20th, 2011, 11:29 am

Hey BroNiSciGuy, congrats on Kellenberg! 6th place is a great score! I'll see you at Regional Quiz Bowl finals in a few weeks XD
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 » March 20th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Any building event results?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » March 20th, 2011, 2:24 pm

smartkid222 wrote:Any building event results?
I'm curious what the winning maglev time was, because we got 1.7 seconds, and we only got 4th. However, the testing and the prediction may have made a difference too.
And what was the winning tower efficiency? Ours was 21.6
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

adambaine

Post by adambaine » March 20th, 2011, 2:28 pm

personasaurus rex wrote:
quizbowl wrote:From what I remember
1) Fayetteville-Manlius
2) Ward Melville
3) Spackenkill
4) Syosset :D
5) Columbia
6) Kellenberg
7) Hills East
8) Brighton
9) Niskayuna
10) Stuyvesant
Syosset! I can't believe how well you guys did this year! Basically the first half of the awards ceremony we were even considering the fact that you guys beat FM because you seemed to be getting more medals... Good job!
And good job to everyone in the competition! Lots of fun, and it was run very well. We're sad, but what can you do
I'm a captain from syo. Basically, we're sure there was a scoring error for Ecology which they say we got 33rd in. The same person (also a captain) and quizbowl who did Ecology for a few years in a row got first or second at regionals a few years in a row and medaled at states several times so we're in the process of appealing. If they do a re score and find that we got 7th or better, then we'd have gotten 2nd place and qualified. Best case scenario, they decide to send all 3 teams, syo, fm, and wm. The last time we got into nats was in like 1983 and it's my last year (starting in 7th grade, div b) so we're not gonna let this go easily.

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » March 20th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Not to burst your bubble, but I highly doubt they'll send three teams from one state, not when there are many states on the edge of two.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » March 20th, 2011, 2:35 pm

adambaine wrote:
personasaurus rex wrote:Syosset! I can't believe how well you guys did this year! Basically the first half of the awards ceremony we were even considering the fact that you guys beat FM because you seemed to be getting more medals... Good job!
And good job to everyone in the competition! Lots of fun, and it was run very well. We're sad, but what can you do
I'm a captain from syo. Basically, we're sure there was a scoring error for Ecology which they say we got 33rd in. The same person (also a captain) and quizbowl who did Ecology for a few years in a row got first or second at regionals a few years in a row and medaled at states several times so we're in the process of appealing. If they do a re score and find that we got 7th or better, then we'd have gotten 2nd place and qualified. Best case scenario, they decide to send all 3 teams, syo, fm, and wm. The last time we got into nats was in like 1983 and it's my last year (starting in 7th grade, div b) so we're not gonna let this go easily.
HAHAHHAAA actually we're in the same boat here! Spackenkill has always been know for having medaling streaks at TPS, and our people (who are two math beasts) came back saying they're confident they did really well because they knew how to do everything. Then we get it back, and they got 33rd. Our coaches are not letting this go easily and are appealing to the judges too.
However, I highly doubt that they will do anything with either your case (ecology) or ours (TPS). They probably threw all the tests out already and will refuse to look at it again. No one wants to admit they're wrong after making such an important announcement and making a team bring back its trophy and pride. Pity... =/

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » March 20th, 2011, 2:38 pm

I have experience in this sort of matter; last year we had conclusive evidence of a judging error in JYC that would have given us a spot at nationals; didn't come out in our favor. My advice: Don't get your hopes up. Be proud of your accomplishments, you did much better than many other teams, and besides, for most of you (sorry adam) there's always next year.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » March 20th, 2011, 2:42 pm

zyzzyva98 wrote:I have experience in this sort of matter; last year we had conclusive evidence of a judging error in JYC that would have given us a spot at nationals; didn't come out in our favor. My advice: Don't get your hopes up. Be proud of your accomplishments, you did much better than many other teams, and besides, for most of you (sorry adam) there's always next year.
No I know I'm not expecting anything out of this. Most likely they're not even going to do anything, but taking this one last shot wouldn't hurt though. Plus it would make our TPS people stop thinking that they caused the team to miss nats...

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”