New York 2011

quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: New York 2011

Post by quizbowl » March 20th, 2011, 2:46 pm

personasaurus rex wrote:
adambaine wrote:
personasaurus rex wrote:Syosset! I can't believe how well you guys did this year! Basically the first half of the awards ceremony we were even considering the fact that you guys beat FM because you seemed to be getting more medals... Good job!
And good job to everyone in the competition! Lots of fun, and it was run very well. We're sad, but what can you do
I'm a captain from syo. Basically, we're sure there was a scoring error for Ecology which they say we got 33rd in. The same person (also a captain) and quizbowl who did Ecology for a few years in a row got first or second at regionals a few years in a row and medaled at states several times so we're in the process of appealing. If they do a re score and find that we got 7th or better, then we'd have gotten 2nd place and qualified. Best case scenario, they decide to send all 3 teams, syo, fm, and wm. The last time we got into nats was in like 1983 and it's my last year (starting in 7th grade, div b) so we're not gonna let this go easily.
HAHAHHAAA actually we're in the same boat here! Spackenkill has always been know for having medaling streaks at TPS, and our people (who are two math beasts) came back saying they're confident they did really well because they knew how to do everything. Then we get it back, and they got 33rd. Our coaches are not letting this go easily and are appealing to the judges too.
However, I highly doubt that they will do anything with either your case (ecology) or ours (TPS). They probably threw all the tests out already and will refuse to look at it again. No one wants to admit they're wrong after making such an important announcement and making a team bring back its trophy and pride. Pity... =/
Actually, no. The tests are kept until 5PM tomorrow, and that is when the results become final. Really, it is feasibly possible that the tests can be rescored and rechecked for all error. All it takes is for Harold Miller (or the event coordinator) to have a heart. I don't even care about the medal at this point - I just want to know what really happened.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

personasaurus rex
Division: C

Post by personasaurus rex » March 20th, 2011, 2:51 pm

quizbowl wrote:Actually, no. The tests are kept until 5PM tomorrow, and that is when the results become final. Really, it is feasibly possible that the tests can be rescored and rechecked for all error. All it takes is for Harold Miller (or the event coordinator) to have a heart. I don't even care about the medal at this point - I just want to know what really happened.
The problem is that they honestly don't care enough to spend the time to check it over. Plus it looks really bad on their part if they make a mistake that affects nationals.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

quizbowl

Post by quizbowl » March 20th, 2011, 2:57 pm

personasaurus rex wrote:
quizbowl wrote:Actually, no. The tests are kept until 5PM tomorrow, and that is when the results become final. Really, it is feasibly possible that the tests can be rescored and rechecked for all error. All it takes is for Harold Miller (or the event coordinator) to have a heart. I don't even care about the medal at this point - I just want to know what really happened.
The problem is that they honestly don't care enough to spend the time to check it over. Plus it looks really bad on their part if they make a mistake that affects nationals.
Yeah. I doubt they care enough to check over. Who knows, they might not be sending the right two teams :|
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

sciencegirl23

Post by sciencegirl23 » March 20th, 2011, 3:01 pm

There's no way our tps team deserved 33rd..it must a mistake, but who knows. They're probably not going to change anything.
Ugh, its just really bad luck guys. You should have seen the bad luck that hit all of our building events. It was awful and just..really really bad luck :cry: We just have to think about all the good things!
2012 events~!

microbe mission, water quality, disease detectives, write it do it.

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 » March 20th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Last edited by smartkid222 on March 20th, 2011, 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps » March 20th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Quiz and I talked about something interesting in chat, and we think that because of the exceptional amount of teams in our state, it should be divided like California is, and each region should send 2 teams (California has 19 teams total, and sends 2). The teams going do not adequately represent the amount of talent in New York state, and this year, FM, WM, Spackenkill, and Syosset should ALL be going to Madison.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

sciencegirl23

Post by sciencegirl23 » March 20th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Thanks..(: Thats really nice of you to say considering you're already going to nats. I wish it could work out like that :( NY is definitely one of the most competitive states.
2012 events~!

microbe mission, water quality, disease detectives, write it do it.

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » March 20th, 2011, 3:49 pm

paleonaps wrote:Quiz and I talked about something interesting in chat, and we think that because of the exceptional amount of teams in our state, it should be divided like California is, and each region should send 2 teams (California has 19 teams total, and sends 2). The teams going do not adequately represent the amount of talent in New York state, and this year, FM, WM, Spackenkill, and Syosset should ALL be going to Madison.
That would be interesting... How would they divide the state? Cali is Easily north and south, but for NY, where do you draw the line?
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

quizbowl

Post by quizbowl » March 20th, 2011, 3:49 pm

paleonaps wrote:Quiz and I talked about something interesting in chat, and we think that because of the exceptional amount of teams in our state, it should be divided like California is, and each region should send 2 teams (California has 19 teams total, and sends 2). The teams going do not adequately represent the amount of talent in New York state, and this year, FM, WM, Spackenkill, and Syosset should ALL be going to Madison.
First of all, California has MUCH more than 19 teams. I'm sure each region has 100+, but then again, so would each section paleonaps and I suggested NY could be split into. I'm sure that Long Island alone has enough teams to get a second spot, and so would the rest of the state. What disappoints me is that some states (not going to point fingers) send teams that get in the high 50s consistently. A few even send two that both do abysmal. It just isn't fair to have teams constantly make it and do awful when several states have teams finishing under 1st and 2nd that would certainly do well at nationals.

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice » March 20th, 2011, 3:58 pm

personasaurus rex wrote:
That would be interesting... How would they divide the state? Cali is Easily north and south, but for NY, where do you draw the line?
That's an interesting thought.

Long Island would be probably be the ideal cutoff, I think. Long Island has quite a lot of competitors that do really well.

Of course, for both "sections" of New York to send two teams, either Nationals would have accommodate two new teams, or they'd have to remove two other teams, and that seems like a bad idea.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”