Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2011

Post by TheBalticSea » March 20th, 2011, 4:29 pm

According to the website, this is the procedure for appeals:

"Time Results Become Final
The results of all regional and state Science Olympiad Tournaments will become final at 10:00 A.M. on the Monday following the tournament.

Review of Grading or Scoring for an Appeal
Event supervisors are required to remain one hour after their event ends. The event supervisor is the only person who can explain the grading or scoring of the event and, therefore, any appeals must be made within one hour after the event ends."

@ quizbowl and spackenkill, they're very serious about deadlines (that is, really, REALLY serious) so they may consider it too late. i completely agree taht they should give your appeals consideration, but based on my team's experience, we have found to be mr. miller a rather, er... let's just say "noncompliant" person when it comes to these things. as much as it was our adivser's fault that we got disqualified, the "reminder" message that mr. miller left all non-registered teams' phones telling them that there would be absolutely no exceptions to the new deadline was left on a defunct cell phone. pointing this out didnn't help us. neither did appealing on behalf of the students' hard work-- that actually seemed to aggravate him more.

@ pjscio, does your school have a national science bowl team this year? the l.i. science bowl coordinator told us you guys were competing at new england scibowl instead, but i see that tournament and scioly were on the same day.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
2012: Astro, Dynamic Planet, Optics, Remote Sensing
2011: Astro, Dynamic Planet, R.I.P. Picture This
2010: Astro, Picture This, Dynamic Planet, Write It Do It

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps » March 20th, 2011, 4:35 pm

robotman09 wrote: Numbers
Okay, he lied to me, but NY still has almost 130 more teams than California, and has the most of any state.
10% of all teams in C division come from New York.
Last edited by paleonaps on March 20th, 2011, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

personasaurus rex
Division: C

Post by personasaurus rex » March 20th, 2011, 4:36 pm

TheBalticSea wrote:Review of Grading or Scoring for an Appeal
Event supervisors are required to remain one hour after their event ends. The event supervisor is the only person who can explain the grading or scoring of the event and, therefore, any appeals must be made within one hour after the event ends."
how could you appeal about scores an hour after the event ends? The awards ceremony doesn't even start an hour after the last event ends...
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

pjgscioisamazing

Post by pjgscioisamazing » March 20th, 2011, 4:39 pm

TheBalticSea wrote:@ pjscio, does your school have a national science bowl team this year? the l.i. science bowl coordinator told us you guys were competing at new england scibowl instead, but i see that tournament and scioly were on the same day.
Our SciBowl team wasn't sponsored but our school this year (the Board cut funding), so they entered as a homeschool team (Although I think there might be some unofficial association with WM) in the New England tournament. As a result we lost 3 seniors, who decided to go to SciBowl.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » March 20th, 2011, 4:39 pm

paleonaps wrote:You know Z, I have had it with your anger at everyone's suggestions. I don't know how many teams your state has, but I guarantee that NY has more. I am very sorry that you missed Nationals last year, and I am sorry that you may miss it again this year. However, I am offended at your reaction to my simple idea. New York has so many teams that do not get representation, and they deserve it. And I am not "whining". I MADE IT TO NATIONALS. I HAVE NO REASON TO BE WHINING! THIS WAS MY IDEA, NOT QUIZBOWL'S. I SAW the look on the faces of the teams that got 3rd and 4th, and it was heartbreaking. The fact that Long Island has enough teams to be its own state (and actually does have a large portion of its population trying to secede from New York) just makes me more upset, because if Long Island were its own state, Syosset and Ward Melville would be going to Nationals, and so would Spackenkill and Fayetteville-Manlius from upstate. I think that two teams is not enough for such a huge state, and population size should determine the number of teams. Look, right now SciO is like the Senate- a similar number of teams for everyone- when it should be like the House of Representatives- with population counting much more toward representation. Since it doesn't affect the state if they don't have as many teams there, a House-like system is much more fair than a Senate system.
I apologize, I mean no disrespect. I took most of this as more whining on the parts of the losing teams, which is poor sportsmanship. I even admit that I did some of that too last year, losing by that little, especially by a judging error, is difficult to take. I understand their pain, but I also don't think that this is the best way to handle it. It should be channeled into preparing for next year, for those still around. In response for your idea, though, and again I mean no disrespect, but I think the Senate system is better. When our nation was founded, larger states preferred the House system, smaller states preferred the Senate system- because they all wanted their say to count. This is no different. There's a reason that the Senate is more important than the house, if only slightly, because everyone gets an equal say. And everyone should get an equal number of qualifiers as well, regardless of skill level. I don't know what's up with California, practicality most likely, but they don't do that with Texas or Alaska so I don't know.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 » March 20th, 2011, 4:40 pm

paleonaps wrote:
robotman09 wrote: Numbers
Okay, he lied to me, but NY still has almost 130 more teams than California, and has the most of any state.
10% of all teams in C division come from New York.
Did anyone read my rant? California is split due to GEOGRAPHY not # of teams. That comes straight from starpug who actually lived there.

EDIT: on top of that, they would never send 4 teams from the same state. You know how many states would be crying foul over that? Next thing you know Texas would want to be split, Cali would want 4 teams and so on and so forth. The split in California is purely logistical. So no, FM WM Spack and Syo would not be going to nationals
Last edited by fmtiger124 on March 20th, 2011, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjgscioisamazing

Post by pjgscioisamazing » March 20th, 2011, 4:41 pm

personasaurus rex wrote:
TheBalticSea wrote:Review of Grading or Scoring for an Appeal
how could you appeal about scores an hour after the event ends? The awards ceremony doesn't even start an hour after the last event ends...
If the event is unfair, didn't follow the rules. Or like last year at Nationals the Gelinas JHS team had a problem at the "can't judge a powder" event, were seemingly DQed, so the Coach appealed, and as a result (surprisingly) won the appeal.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps » March 20th, 2011, 4:41 pm

I know, and I think that number of teams (over 600, I mean, come on) should also be a reason to split.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » March 20th, 2011, 4:43 pm

You only get 60 teams, sadly we cannot all send the number of teams we want to send. That's what the competition is for. If there was a way for New York to fairly get three or four teams while not infringing on other states, I'd be all for that. But it just can't be done, not at the moment.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

sciencegirl23

Post by sciencegirl23 » March 20th, 2011, 4:45 pm

paleonaps wrote: I SAW the look on the faces of the teams that got 3rd and 4th, and it was heartbreaking. The fact that Long Island has enough teams to be its own state (and actually does have a large portion of its population trying to secede from New York) just makes me more upset, because if Long Island were its own state, Syosset and Ward Melville would be going to Nationals, and so would Spackenkill and Fayetteville-Manlius from upstate. I think that two teams is not enough for such a huge state, and population size should determine the number of teams. Look, right now SciO is like the Senate- a similar number of teams for everyone- when it should be like the House of Representatives- with population counting much more toward representation. Since it doesn't affect the state if they don't have as many teams there, a House-like system is much more fair than a Senate system.
Thank you. I totally agree.. and people are always going to have different opinions on this, and they're allowed to have different opinions so lets not jump down each others throats for it. -_- And yeah getting 3rd or 4th is pretty heartbreaking.. especially when you've worked so hard for it, and you get terrible bad luck or accidentally bomb or something.
2012 events~!

microbe mission, water quality, disease detectives, write it do it.

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”