New York 2011

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: New York 2011

Post by gneissisnice » March 23rd, 2011, 11:29 am

Flavorflav wrote:Thayer and Bartlett are being gutted, so we are out of West Point for at least a couple of years. No news about an alternate site yet.
Haha, we should do Stony Brook University, then I could come and even help out =)

Though admittedly, it'd be more boring for most of the Long Island teams.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

personasaurus rex
Division: C

Post by personasaurus rex » March 23rd, 2011, 11:33 am

gneissisnice wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Thayer and Bartlett are being gutted, so we are out of West Point for at least a couple of years. No news about an alternate site yet.
Haha, we should do Stony Brook University, then I could come and even help out =)

Though admittedly, it'd be more boring for most of the Long Island teams.
They're probably gonna try and book another campus somewhere near West Point because it's geographically close to the middle of the state and it makes most teams' traveling equal. Although all the campuses around our area are crappy compared to West Point. Whatever they choose, I hope it will be good. West Point is hard to top...
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

baker

Post by baker » March 23rd, 2011, 11:55 am

West Point, geographic middle on NYS?? Once again Down State shows off it's "the universe around me". Just google the geographic center of NYS and you'll find it to be in Madison Co., 12 mi. S of Oneida and 26 mi. SW of Utica, Town of Eaton. Good thing geography isn't an event, there would another thing to cry about. By the way, I heard that Binghamon U was on the list as well as Buffalo.
Last edited by baker on March 23rd, 2011, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 » March 23rd, 2011, 12:19 pm

What do you mean by gutted?
Stonybrook is way too far away for upstate teams.

I guess West Point could be considered the "geographic center" if you weigh by how many schools each area sends.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » March 23rd, 2011, 12:21 pm

baker wrote:West Point, geographic middle on NYS?? Once again Long Island shows off it's "the universe around me". Just google the geographic center of NYS and you'll find it to be in Madison Co., 12 mi. S of Oneida and 26 mi. SW of Utica, Town of Eaton. Good thing geography isn't an event, there would another thing to cry about. By the way, I heard that Binghamon U was on the list as well as Buffalo.
First of all, I'm not from Long Island, so get your facts right before you start ripping people up online. And second of all, geographically AND DEMOGRAPHICALLY SPEAKING West Point actually is the center of NY because I believe both LI regions and the NYC region sends more teams than any other region, so there are more teams coming from those regions than, for example, Adirondack.
Oh and also, please learn grammar? Because with a possessive, there is no apostrophe in "its" and it's Binghamton not Binghamon. Thanks! =]

EDIT: and smartkid222, gutted as in they're having construction on campus. I didn't hear that it will last 2 years though =/

baker

Post by baker » March 23rd, 2011, 12:28 pm

Yeah, yeah..I missed the 't'. But I didn't cry about it... :oops:

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice » March 23rd, 2011, 12:58 pm

I was just kidding about the Stony Brook thing, no need for everyone to get so serious about it >.>
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » March 23rd, 2011, 1:01 pm

gneissisnice wrote:I was just kidding about the Stony Brook thing, no need for everyone to get so serious about it >.>
I was just saying how Stonybrook is too far away for many other teams. Although I don't really mind traveling far because I've never actually traveled for scioly ;]
But other people like to think before they speak/type =P

Primate

Post by Primate » March 23rd, 2011, 4:53 pm

baker wrote:West Point, geographic middle on NYS?? Once again Down State shows off it's "the universe around me". Just google the geographic center of NYS and you'll find it to be in Madison Co., 12 mi. S of Oneida and 26 mi. SW of Utica, Town of Eaton. Good thing geography isn't an event, there would another thing to cry about. By the way, I heard that Binghamon U was on the list as well as Buffalo.
Buffalo? That would be an absolutely awful place for a state competition. That's a good seven hours from NYC/LI.

I'll miss West Point, but both those buildings could really use some freshening up.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski » March 23rd, 2011, 5:04 pm

baker wrote: By the way, I heard that Binghamon U was on the list as well as Buffalo.
Buffalo has some great universities that could be great hosts. University at Buffalo is a great place (note, I am biased), and has great resources to host a tournament like this. Canisius College in Buffalo also did an absolutely fantastic job hosting the regional tournament this year.

Isn't half the fun of states a road trip?

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”