2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)

FueL
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2011

Post by FueL » April 11th, 2011, 12:22 pm

starshine wrote:My partner and I thought we got all the data correct, we double/triple checked. We thought we did well on the graph. We also made the graph and didn't leave anything blank. We also finished the questions as well.

We all love DBQ's.
Compute is unpredictable. I did it last year at states, and my partner and I were pretty sure we had everything right except for one short answer we left blank (which when we talked to people afterwards, we couldn't find a single team who'd gotten the answer). We also ended up with 9th.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by gneissisnice » April 11th, 2011, 12:25 pm

FueL wrote:
starshine wrote:My partner and I thought we got all the data correct, we double/triple checked. We thought we did well on the graph. We also made the graph and didn't leave anything blank. We also finished the questions as well.

We all love DBQ's.
Compute is unpredictable. I did it last year at states, and my partner and I were pretty sure we had everything right except for one short answer we left blank (which when we talked to people afterwards, we couldn't find a single team who'd gotten the answer). We also ended up with 9th.
Yeah, there are some events that are just really unpredictable and can go to anyone, regardless of how prepared people are. Events like Compute This, WIDI, Aquifers, Powders, Experimental, and Bottle Rocket are all unpredictable. Not that I'm undermining anyone who does well in those events, because medalling still requires a lot of skill, but they're more random than a regular study or tech event.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav » April 11th, 2011, 1:32 pm

gneissisnice wrote:
FueL wrote:

We all love DBQ's.
Yeah, there are some events that are just really unpredictable and can go to anyone, regardless of how prepared people are. Events like Compute This, WIDI, Aquifers, Powders, Experimental, and Bottle Rocket are all unpredictable. Not that I'm undermining anyone who does well in those events, because medalling still requires a lot of skill, but they're more random than a regular study or tech event.
Look at the score sheet, though - the top six teams all came in top ten in Compute. That is not an unpredictable event. Powder, on the other hand, seems like it was a disaster for most of the top teams. Anybody know what happened there?

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice » April 11th, 2011, 2:10 pm

Flavorflav wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:
FueL wrote:
Look at the score sheet, though - the top six teams all came in top ten in Compute. That is not an unpredictable event. Powder, on the other hand, seems like it was a disaster for most of the top teams. Anybody know what happened there?
I heard that the event was really really easy. Only the three basic reagents, and questions like "What color is the powder?" and other basic stuff. No difficult inferences on the questions or anything. I went over some stuff with my team the night before, and they said that nothing I told them was on it (like ions), it was just really basic. I wish we could end up seeing the actual event.

And I never did Compute, so maybe you're right that it's not unpredictable, I'm just going with what I heard.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

GreenWhite07
Division: B

Post by GreenWhite07 » April 11th, 2011, 3:19 pm

If you look at the rubric for Compute This the quantitative data(the data for the graph) is only worth 20/100 points. The means that some team could have got everything else right and obtained a better score than that of the first place at states.(Assuming first place is 51 points)

Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran » April 11th, 2011, 4:20 pm

When are the Invitationals for New York or New York City? I think that it would really help my team to go to Invitationals and because I'm not going to Nationals I feel that all my studying is in vein and can't wait for Regionals next year but I've never heard of Invitationals before. I'd be exited to go to it and find out how well my team and I were doing because we owned everyone at Regionals but failed at States.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps » April 11th, 2011, 4:23 pm

There's one at Ravena for B.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man » April 11th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Tramsarran wrote:When are the Invitationals for New York or New York City? I think that it would really help my team to go to Invitationals and because I'm not going to Nationals I feel that all my studying is in vein and can't wait for Regionals next year but I've never heard of Invitationals before. I'd be exited to go to it and find out how well my team and I were doing because we owned everyone at Regionals but failed at States.
Only certain teams get to go to invitationals. I think the team has to be chosen.

Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man » April 11th, 2011, 4:31 pm

Starapollo1 wrote:Wow!! I just took a look at the scores and let me say that was close! Murphy got killed in Junkyard! If they pull that up... things may get a little bit more competitive next year!! It looks like powders hurt everyone in the top 3... interesting...

Congrats to Eagle Hill and Gelinas!! And a special shout out for Murphy! :D Sounds like an exciting competition!
What do you mean that they misplaced a bowl? What was the actual ramp made out of?

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”