Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2011

Post by zyzzyva980 » April 12th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Why wouldn't they be?
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

FueL
Division: C
State: NY

Post by FueL » April 12th, 2011, 5:45 pm

HappySciencePie wrote:Oh, now I know why you just asked me about that on Facebook. I thought you were planning on coming over on Sunday. :P
No, Sundays are the one day of the week that Gelinas never meets. Though according to one of our math teachers, we meet eight days a week. xD
By every day I meant weekdays, and I was referring to teams in general, not the Gelinas team.
Yes indeed. No, I'm coming over tomorrow. <3 My school only meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but our practices are usually very productive (well, as productive as middle schoolers can be).
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » April 12th, 2011, 6:51 pm

HappySciencePie wrote:Oh, now I know why you just asked me about that on Facebook.
You shouldn't have a Facebook in the first place ;]
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

HappySciencePie

Post by HappySciencePie » April 12th, 2011, 7:13 pm

personasaurus rex wrote:
HappySciencePie wrote:Oh, now I know why you just asked me about that on Facebook.
You shouldn't have a Facebook in the first place ;]
Shhhh! It's cool. I'm over 13. 8D

Our practices.. usually aren't very productive until about 1-2 weeks before competition, maybe 3.
Nationals 2011: Flying Bird; team (Gelinas) ~ 7th
Nationals 2010: Optics ~ 9th; team (Gelinas) ~ 3rd
MELLO YELLO
Ward Melville FTW <3

Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man » April 12th, 2011, 7:17 pm

zyzzyva98 wrote:Why wouldn't they be?
Just a thought.

HappySciencePie

Post by HappySciencePie » April 12th, 2011, 7:22 pm

You could have just a couple of kids meet and work on their events without their coaches too, depending on the event. If that counts as meeting. I know that one of our Bottle Rocket guys slept over his partner's house for two days to build a rocket at the last minute. They named it Excalibur. Apparently it failed epically.
Nationals 2011: Flying Bird; team (Gelinas) ~ 7th
Nationals 2010: Optics ~ 9th; team (Gelinas) ~ 3rd
MELLO YELLO
Ward Melville FTW <3

Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran » April 14th, 2011, 1:49 pm

My team built a bottle rocket very soon before the state competition and had never tested it at all. One person built it and had used super glue which lead to a construction violation as it interfered with the chemical composition of the plastic but we were allowed to launch anyway as the person who was in charge of the event decided to take the risk. We never ever tested the rocket before the state competition thus it failed epically. The nose was so wide that the drag stopped the rockets at about 15 feet in the air and I don't think any of them stayed in the air past 5 seconds. I don't know anywhere to legally test the Bottle Rockets next year because my team and I reside in Queens where we would get arrested for shooting the rocket off in most places.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by gneissisnice » April 14th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Tramsarran wrote:My team built a bottle rocket very soon before the state competition and had never tested it at all. One person built it and had used super glue which lead to a construction violation as it interfered with the chemical composition of the plastic but we were allowed to launch anyway as the person who was in charge of the event decided to take the risk. We never ever tested the rocket before the state competition thus it failed epically. The nose was so wide that the drag stopped the rockets at about 15 feet in the air and I don't think any of them stayed in the air past 5 seconds. I don't know anywhere to legally test the Bottle Rockets next year because my team and I reside in Queens where we would get arrested for shooting the rocket off in most places.
Yeah, I think Bottle Rocket is an awful event for a few reasons:

1) it's weather dependent. A gust of wind can hurt or help any team (depending if it boosts it up or down), and if it rains during the competition...well, sucks to be you.

2) Not every team can test it outdoors. Like you said, you live in an area where you can't launch it. That's a problem.

3) At states, the winning time was 25 seconds. In my opinion, any event where a 1st place score is 25 seconds is a poorly designed event, because with such a short time, the distribution of scores ends up being really close, and that's not a very good event. Something like planes, with a winning time of, say, 3 minutes, is better because that doesn't mean that half the teams have the same time like you get in Bottle Rockets.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Primate

Post by Primate » April 14th, 2011, 5:25 pm

gneissisnice wrote:
Tramsarran wrote:My team built a bottle rocket very soon before the state competition and had never tested it at all. One person built it and had used super glue which lead to a construction violation as it interfered with the chemical composition of the plastic but we were allowed to launch anyway as the person who was in charge of the event decided to take the risk. We never ever tested the rocket before the state competition thus it failed epically. The nose was so wide that the drag stopped the rockets at about 15 feet in the air and I don't think any of them stayed in the air past 5 seconds. I don't know anywhere to legally test the Bottle Rockets next year because my team and I reside in Queens where we would get arrested for shooting the rocket off in most places.
Yeah, I think Bottle Rocket is an awful event for a few reasons:

1) it's weather dependent. A gust of wind can hurt or help any team (depending if it boosts it up or down), and if it rains during the competition...well, sucks to be you.

2) Not every team can test it outdoors. Like you said, you live in an area where you can't launch it. That's a problem.

3) At states, the winning time was 25 seconds. In my opinion, any event where a 1st place score is 25 seconds is a poorly designed event, because with such a short time, the distribution of scores ends up being really close, and that's not a very good event. Something like planes, with a winning time of, say, 3 minutes, is better because that doesn't mean that half the teams have the same time like you get in Bottle Rockets.
Yeah, last year at the NY state competition, one team won Egg-O-Naut with an absolutely ridiculous time of 5+ minutes. I bet all of the top five had rockets capable of such a flight, but the winners just happened to catch the wind.

But at the same time, I really like the event. You don't see high-speed aerodynamics applied anywhere else in scioly.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » April 15th, 2011, 12:56 pm

gneissisnice wrote:Yeah, I think Bottle Rocket is an awful event for a few reasons:

don't even get me started on bottle rocket. Our bottle kids worked SO HARD on it and they built it so that it would glide down parallel to the ground slowly, and we were testing amazing times before the competition. We get to West Point, and naturally, it's windy near the river there, and it goes up, starts gliding down perfectly, then the wind comes and BOOM it nosedives. =/
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”