Primate
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2011

Post by Primate » April 15th, 2011, 4:23 pm

personasaurus rex wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:Yeah, I think Bottle Rocket is an awful event for a few reasons:

1) it's weather dependent. A gust of wind can hurt or help any team (depending if it boosts it up or down), and if it rains during the competition...well, sucks to be you.

2) Not every team can test it outdoors. Like you said, you live in an area where you can't launch it. That's a problem.

3) At states, the winning time was 25 seconds. In my opinion, any event where a 1st place score is 25 seconds is a poorly designed event, because with such a short time, the distribution of scores ends up being really close, and that's not a very good event. Something like planes, with a winning time of, say, 3 minutes, is better because that doesn't mean that half the teams have the same time like you get in Bottle Rockets.
don't even get me started on bottle rocket. Our bottle kids worked SO HARD on it and they built it so that it would glide down parallel to the ground slowly, and we were testing amazing times before the competition. We get to West Point, and naturally, it's windy near the river there, and it goes up, starts gliding down perfectly, then the wind comes and BOOM it nosedives. =/
Yeah, backsliders are known to do that >.<. Apparently, if you don't get it just right, it'll backslide 95% of the time (so unless you do twenty trials you'll never notice), but nosedive the other 5% of the time. I really wish the event supervisors had let us pick launch moment so we could wait for the wind to die down.

Just out of curiosity, what sorts of times were you getting?
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps

Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran » April 15th, 2011, 7:52 pm

My team got a little under 3 seconds probably because of the extreme amount of drag and the fact that we never tested it before. There have been excellent backsliders in NY state and the weather was great.

It would be great if there could be more than one launch for each rocket at different times and maybe on the first day and the second day at States. It's so true how weather dependent this event is and having the advantage of launching at more than one time may be difference between winning and losing. I checked the weather before I left the hotel that day too until I realized that there was no specific time for each team to launch.
Anyway, watching the rockets launch is fun too.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » April 16th, 2011, 3:37 pm

Primate wrote:Just out of curiosity, what sorts of times were you getting?
we were hitting around 30 seconds
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

Primate

Post by Primate » April 16th, 2011, 3:43 pm

personasaurus rex wrote:
Primate wrote:Just out of curiosity, what sorts of times were you getting?
we were hitting around 30 seconds
Ooh, you would've easily beaten us then (21.5 seconds). Though I don't know if ours would've flown longer in better conditions; the wind did knock it off course a bit.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps

Gemma W
Division: Grad

Post by Gemma W » April 19th, 2011, 7:48 am

I'm not sure that the New York thread is the place to post this. Wouldn't it be better in the bottle rocket thread?
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI

Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran » April 19th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Yeah, you're right. When are the NY Invitationals and where are they? How does a team get into them? Can someone tell me more about them?
So many questions.

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » April 19th, 2011, 7:21 pm

Tramsarran wrote:Yeah, you're right. When are the NY Invitationals and where are they? How does a team get into them? Can someone tell me more about them?
So many questions.
On the NY state site, there are links for invitationals for both B and C division located in the state, but there are also options for invitationals out of state. For example, one of the biggest invitationals around takes place every year over Martin Luther King Jr. weekend in Athens, PA. All the "big name" schools go there.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

Liv

Post by Liv » April 19th, 2011, 7:23 pm

Tramsarran wrote:Yeah, you're right. When are the NY Invitationals and where are they? How does a team get into them? Can someone tell me more about them?
So many questions.
http://newyorkscioly.org/SOPages/Inv-B.html

Those were the ones this year.
A team can get into them by being invited, however, a team can request to come to one, and then the person planing it can allow them to come or not, that's how we ended up going to the RCS invite.

Now, invites generally run every event(they only didn't run compute this at the RCS) so it allows you to explore other events, there is no over all team placing and a team can enter an event many times (say you are "exploring" an event, many people from the same team can sign up for different slots).

Yeah, that's basically it...

woah, you're signature is the exact same as mine except in a different order 0_0

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach » April 19th, 2011, 8:02 pm

SpudNuggits has been accepted to NOAA Weather Camp at CCNY! They are still accepting applications and the 2 week program looks like it will be a blast. Check it out if you live in the NYC area or know someone who can put you up in NYC. http://crest.ccny.cuny.edu/education-an ... her-camp-1 and http://glasslab.engr.ccny.cuny.edu/u/brianvh/index.html . The second link has links to a photo blog of the 2010 and 2009 camps.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran » April 21st, 2011, 9:09 am

I guess my team will have to start fundraisers when SO starts again so we can get some money to sign up for Invitationals. I don't think my coach even knows what Invitationals are. What are some fundraiser ideas? I could just ask for donations from kids in the school and set up something for that and say that when the SO team does well and makes it to States or maybe even Nationals (probably impossible in NY) we'd gain regonition for our school and maybe the Spirit Award thing at Nats. It's a long shot.

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”