New York 2011

saccharinegray
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2011

Post by saccharinegray »

In Ardsley we're just starting Friday around 2:30, probably, since that's when school ends. Then we get there, impound stuff, then drive all the way back, sleep in our houses, get up at FREAKING 5:00 and drive for Saturday. FML.
Regionals: 2nd Forensics, 4th Mission, Team 3rd!
States events: Forensics, Mission, WIDI!
kwijiborjt

Post by kwijiborjt »

For those that check this message board, please inform your teams that protein modeling will be running in two time blocks. Teams 2-32 will compete from 5:30 to 6:20, and teams 33-54 will compete from 6:30-7:20. Please have your pre-build impounded by 5:00 if at all possible. This information will be provided to your teams along with room numbers at registration.
NYS/Lower Hudson Valley Protein Modeling event supervisor
Entomology 2nd and 3rd in NY state
Rocks and Minerals 5th and 6th in NY state
ZekeBud
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by ZekeBud »

It's time again - West Point weekend! Congrats to all who have made it. It's a weekend of nerdy bliss and great competition. Remember that while you are trying to do well and get medals, this is also (at most) a 3 or 4 time thing that you'll never have again. Take it all in and enjoy the moment. Be sure to see some of the amazing architecture and support your teammates in open events. Keep in mind that Science Olympiad isn't just the events - you're supposed to have fun and see science/math/engineering in a positive light.

Not everything will go perfectly (it never does), so remember to keep your wits about you. Just know that you aren't the only one who has had trouble. And even more so, you're at NY States, so you've done something right in getting there. Just push forward and do your best.

NY States was one of the defining moments of my Science Olympiad experience and it's something that will stick with you for a long time. Good luck to everybody (especially to the Mid-State teams, but that's a personal bias) and I hope that you all have a wonderful time. Study hard, good luck with the building events and make everybody in NY proud!
Camden High School Science Olympiad 2005-2007
Clarkson University Class of 2011
The Ohio State University Chemical Engineering PhD Program
In Words and Phrases
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 »

Thank you for the advance notice.

The schedule does not indicate which events are impound so I assume that all events are following the rules on that matter? For example, helicopter will not be impounded.

The website does not state where in the Arvin Gymnasium each event will take place. The entire gymnasium is apparantly comprised of multiple buildings and two floors (?).
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Last time they had events in Arvin there were pretty good signs, and there were people at the front entrance to give directions. Hopefully that will be the case again, but I would plan on leaving time to scout if I were you.
personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex »

kwijiborjt wrote:For those that check this message board, please inform your teams that protein modeling will be running in two time blocks. Teams 2-32 will compete from 5:30 to 6:20, and teams 33-54 will compete from 6:30-7:20. Please have your pre-build impounded by 5:00 if at all possible. This information will be provided to your teams along with room numbers at registration.
EDIT: oops sorry! just read your post in the protein thread haha
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
TheBalticSea

Post by TheBalticSea »

fyi, Great Neck South will not be competing tomorrow because we were disqualified. No, there was no funny business going on-- it was due to a small technicality. I believe our registration materials arrived a day late. Such a shame! I guess we'll see you next year... :|
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
2012: Astro, Dynamic Planet, Optics, Remote Sensing
2011: Astro, Dynamic Planet, R.I.P. Picture This
2010: Astro, Picture This, Dynamic Planet, Write It Do It
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 »

When did your team find out that they were disqualified?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

TheBalticSea wrote:fyi, Great Neck South will not be competing tomorrow because we were disqualified. No, there was no funny business going on-- it was due to a small technicality. I believe our registration materials arrived a day late. Such a shame! I guess we'll see you next year... :|
I heard about that, but I didn't know who it was. I think that it is patently ridiculous.
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

Tomorrow is the cumulative competition of all of our hard work. First of all, congratulations to all New Yorkers who have come this far! It will be an honor for me to compete against the likes of you, and good luck to every competitor and onlooker! May the best team prevail, and lets just hope for a Major Winn :lol:
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”