2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2011

Post by quizbowl »

It's also pushed back to March 30th and 31st. Cool, more time to panic.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
personasaurus rex
Division: C

Post by personasaurus rex »

more overlap with spring track... not down with that part.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

quizbowl wrote:So instead of making States in an area close to most teams, they put it in Canisius College. In Buffalo.
/hello 8 hr drive
Yeah, that's very unfair. It's a looooooong drive for quite a lot of teams. I remember on this thread I joked about having it at Stony Brook, and someone got mad because Long Island is a long drive for some people, but Buffalo is an equally long drive for us Long Islanders.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

And considering 8 teams from WLI, 6 from ELI and 6 from NYC, thats 20 teams, or 40% of the competing teams with 7+ hours of roadtime.
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

We can have it at Buffalo if next year it is at Stony Brook, just to make it inconvenient for everyone.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Buffalo's not that bad of a place, guys >_>

Most state competitions do require an overnight trip for the majority of its teams. Look at Texas, for example. If you're capable of winning the state competition, an overnight trip shouldn't be a problem. My team looks forward to them. Sure, it might be a small inconvenience, but at least be glad you're getting the chance to compete. You're probably going to have lots of fun on the trip, that is, if you like your team. And if you don't like your team, well, then it doesn't matter how far away the competition is- you won't have fun either way.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

It is always overnight for us. But 8 hours is going to be AWFUL. My laptop has a terrible battery, and I get antsy after 3 hours on a bus. Couple that with the fact that all of my closest friends (save for one) quit makes it even worse.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

zyzzyva98 wrote:Buffalo's not that bad of a place, guys >_>

Most state competitions do require an overnight trip for the majority of its teams. Look at Texas, for example. If you're capable of winning the state competition, an overnight trip shouldn't be a problem. My team looks forward to them. Sure, it might be a small inconvenience, but at least be glad you're getting the chance to compete. You're probably going to have lots of fun on the trip, that is, if you like your team. And if you don't like your team, well, then it doesn't matter how far away the competition is- you won't have fun either way.
It's not an issue of how bad of a place it is, and like paleonaps said, it's an overnight trip for us even when the drive is only 2-ish hours. But an 8-hour drive is just insanely long. Even the bus ride to DC for Nationals in 2008 wasn't that long, and we left the school at 4 AM for that. We certainly look forward to and enjoy the trips, but the bus ride is by no means the highlight.

Buffalo isn't even close to being central in NY. Upstate/downstate rivalries aside, that's really far west. For a very small fraction of teams, this is much, much closer than the competition has ever been; for everyone else, it's a huge inconvenience.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote:Buffalo's not that bad of a place, guys >_>

It's not an issue of how bad of a place it is, and like paleonaps said, it's an overnight trip for us even when the drive is only 2-ish hours. But an 8-hour drive is just insanely long. Even the bus ride to DC for Nationals in 2008 wasn't that long, and we left the school at 4 AM for that. We certainly look forward to and enjoy the trips, but the bus ride is by no means the highlight.

Buffalo isn't even close to being central in NY. Upstate/downstate rivalries aside, that's really far west. For a very small fraction of teams, this is much, much closer than the competition has ever been; for everyone else, it's a huge inconvenience.
Plus, most teams will have to stay much longer than overnight: considering an 8 hour drive (plus pitstops) and to get there in time to check in for the Friday events would make some teams have to leave Thursday. Also, with the awards ending usually at 6ish, most teams wont get back until very early in the morning, or they have to stay over the night.

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”