New York 2011

personasaurus rex
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2011

Post by personasaurus rex »

Flavorflav wrote:No offense - I actually think Buffalo's a pretty nice town. It's just a really big pain. I'm probably going to have to call in whatever chips I have and do some - *shiver* - fundraising (The horror!) to get the coach bus and the extra night in the hotel.
Oh come on fundraising is not that horrible! I love our fall car washes and attacking the unfortunate cars that stop at the light for spare change. You'd be surprised at how much a bunch of shameless high schoolers can raise.
And our school never gives us any money so that's how we survive the season anyways. It's a fun time and good team bonding. And you get money.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
quizbowl
Division: Grad

Post by quizbowl »

At this point, I'm just waiting for the schedule to come out for states. I really hope that Harold Miller can finally put the ID events in non-conflicting slots and/or make the conflicts similar for all teams.
/me pleads to the New York Science Olympiad gods
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

personasaurus rex wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:No offense - I actually think Buffalo's a pretty nice town. It's just a really big pain. I'm probably going to have to call in whatever chips I have and do some - *shiver* - fundraising (The horror!) to get the coach bus and the extra night in the hotel.
Oh come on fundraising is not that horrible! I love our fall car washes and attacking the unfortunate cars that stop at the light for spare change. You'd be surprised at how much a bunch of shameless high schoolers can raise.
And our school never gives us any money so that's how we survive the season anyways. It's a fun time and good team bonding. And you get money.
The problem with fundraising is that my team has never done it before. Sure, in junior high we did a magazine sales fundraiser, but the high school team is (or at least pretends to be) so apathetic that floating the idea of a fundraiser gets a bunch of "...meh"s in response. We often have some tension about what the district will fund, but never enough to actually get people off their butts to fundraise.

Maybe this year. I'd love to go to the Athens invitational, but that would require a truly Herculean fundraising effort on top of the money for a possible extra night at States.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Car smash. I have mentioned it before. It's all we need.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

personasaurus rex wrote:
Agreed. When I did SO in high school we had zero funding from our district. Zero, zilch, nada. It's still that way now, and the team made states this year. They were able to get individual costs down to $30/person by fundraising. That included bus, hotel, etc.
Phenylethylamine wrote:
personasaurus rex wrote:
The problem with fundraising is that my team has never done it before. Sure, in junior high we did a magazine sales fundraiser, but the high school team is (or at least pretends to be) so apathetic that floating the idea of a fundraiser gets a bunch of "...meh"s in response. We often have some tension about what the district will fund, but never enough to actually get people off their butts to fundraise.

Maybe this year. I'd love to go to the Athens invitational, but that would require a truly Herculean fundraising effort on top of the money for a possible extra night at States.
If you want to achieve something, you've got to work hard at it. If you want to fund a trip, you've got to fundraise. It's not that difficult, and it's not too late to start.

You can start by selling things - even little items can add up. You'd be amazed how many hundreds of dollars can be made by selling suckers for a few weeks. Also pursue larger sources - write to local companies and ask for sponsorship or donations.

The club that I'm president of at college managed to fundraise $7855 last year in monetary donations. It was all just by finding potential sources of funding and pursuing them. On top of that, we got $3560 in materials donated.

Granted, that would be more money than any SO team should ever need - but my point is that the money is there. Just be proactive in looking for it.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Honestly, pheny, there is actually a lot of fundraising going on in our school. For weeks the band kids were patrolling the hallways with candy, and I believe Yearbook did the same. If we patrolled with little things of pure sodium to blow up, I'm sure people would give us hundreds!
Or maybe we could sell gallium...
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

paleonaps wrote:Honestly, pheny, there is actually a lot of fundraising going on in our school. For weeks the band kids were patrolling the hallways with candy, and I believe Yearbook did the same. If we patrolled with little things of pure sodium to blow up, I'm sure people would give us hundreds!
Or maybe we could sell gallium...
I'm pretty sure that selling pure sodium to kids in school is illegal. At least it should be.

You could charge to do people's homework =)
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
personasaurus rex

I suggest car washes and bake sales. Honestly, it's a ton of fun when you start doing it. You don't even have to wash a lot of cars because most of your income comes from nagging people on the street haha.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

I wouldn't trust high schoolers with my car.
Gallium, if we could make it work, would be pretty cool.
EDIT: Nevermind it's friggin expensive.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
personasaurus rex

paleonaps wrote:I wouldn't trust high schoolers with my car.
Gallium, if we could make it work, would be pretty cool.
EDIT: Nevermind it's friggin expensive.
lol, but we're not just normal high schoolers, we're science olympiad nerds who probably know more about cars than the people who are driving them.

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”