Michigan 2010-2011

winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Michigan 2010-2011

Post by winneratlife »

Discussion thread for everyone participating in Science Olympiad in Michigan this year.
packer-backer91

Re: Michigan 2010-2011

Post by packer-backer91 »

Wow, there really are not too many from Michigan on here, that’s odd considering we have the second most teams only behind New York. I'm going to make as safe bet for the results at State going to be very similar to last year with Gran Haven winning and West Ottawa/Troy or another region 12 team that fight for second place Grand Haven has not gotten the championship once in my six years of Science Olympiad. So who will be this year's break out school? There last year there were some teams that made large improvements and others that took a step back.
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

I'm from Michigan too!

Of course Grand Haven will go... If somehow they don't take first, they'll take second. I would guess that we'll see another Region 12 team, rather than Troy, go to nationals with them.
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

My longterm goal is to overthrow somebody for second place senior year, but yes, this year, Grand Haven will go.

I also kind of want to say Troy though, since all of their powerhouses from last year were juniors, I believe.
HannahD413
Division: C

Post by HannahD413 »

Is it just me, or does the west side (Grand Rapids, Grand Haven) generally do better at states?
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

HannahD413 wrote:Is it just me, or does the west side (Grand Rapids, Grand Haven) generally do better at states?
It's not just you.

Personally, I think it's because Country Day, IA, Troy, and yes, even my school Athens try too hard at other things. We do reasonably well in math competitions, Fed challenge, FPS, and a slew of other things, while Grand Haven dedicates themselves to SciO. Consequently, they pwn us at SciO.
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

HannahD413 wrote:Is it just me, or does the west side (Grand Rapids, Grand Haven) generally do better at states?
I's not just West Side, it's Region 12. The top 4 in the state last year for C were from Region 12 and the top 3 for B. And there were many other high placing Region 12 schools as well.
HannahD413

Post by HannahD413 »

winneratlife wrote:
It's not just you.

Personally, I think it's because Country Day, IA, Troy, and yes, even my school Athens try too hard at other things. We do reasonably well in math competitions, Fed challenge, FPS, and a slew of other things, while Grand Haven dedicates themselves to SciO. Consequently, they pwn us at SciO.
I actually attend the IA and am competing as a ninth grader on my middle school team. It is not bad for them to be well rounded.

Also, for being quite small, region 12 has a lot of good teams. Does anyone have any insight on why, other than being focused on Science Olympiad, they do so well? I was just wondering if it could be geographic, with the density of teams being a factor.
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

HannahD413 wrote:Also, for being quite small, region 12 has a lot of good teams. Does anyone have any insight on why, other than being focused on Science Olympiad, they do so well? I was just wondering if it could be geographic, with the density of teams being a factor.
Maybe everyone works harder because they're trying to beat Grand Haven even at Regional level? :|
HannahD413

Post by HannahD413 »

Does anybody know how many teams from region 12 go to states?

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”