Pennsylvania 2011

oh joy
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pennsylvania 2011

Post by oh joy »

Rfeynman, even if you're upset about this, I don't think it's right to bash Athens for doing what they had to.
First of all, you don't have solid proof of them cheating.
Second, states is already over and there's nothing you can really do about it.
Third, some people really enjoy Olympiad and we don't want these negative things to destroy the spirit of Olympiad.
Fourth, if Athens turned out not to be cheating, you would be the one at terrible guilt of accusing them such.
Fifth, Athens hosts invites every year and they have the experience of holding an Olympiad event.
Sixth, they had to do it because no one else would.
And last but not least, I think that if you accuse them of cheating, you should keep it to yourself or voice your concerns to your coaches or to the Athens Olympiad team. Putting it out on the web for everyone to see is not the best way to do this because your negative words are not solving any problems. People in Athens could be reading this right now--in fact, many people from other schools are reading this and feeling very disturbed, myself included. Complaining on the internet is not helpful--if you really think there is a problem, you should be responsible for finding out if your accusations hold any truth and then bring it to people of authority.

To people from Athens: I am very sorry for what happened and we are very grateful for what you guys did for all the teams at states. Keep up the good work! We're here to support you guys!
내 호버크라프트는 장어로 가득 차 있어요
sean9keenan
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by sean9keenan »

As a former builder for Harriton, being involved in the design and construction of a lot of the builds I can say that I never had help from my parents (unless you count help as allowing me to stay up late and store equipment in my room). I also truly believe that this is the case for most competitive schools in C division, parents don't have the dedication and time to put in an event that a student in High School does, period.

As to competition day, I know that I've made quite a few mistakes before, no matter how many times I fired that Trajectory, I still fired it once without the projectile in it (and was made fun of for it for quite some time ;-) ). Stupid mistakes happen, no matter how much your practice. Although, that's not to say that practice doesn't pay, too many times have I heard "the device worked last night, we were unlucky that it didn't work today", many of the top teams have devices that they have run successfully hundreds of times, when they don't work, that's when it's really unlucky.

Instead of accusing other teams of cheating just work harder and look towards the next competition, it'll make your victory that much sweeter.

Shruggs,

Sean Keenan
SoCal Event Supervisor. H2S2O for ever. Competed in Builds & Physics events
anon y mouse

Post by anon y mouse »

I hesitated before posting this response, because we have already dedicated too much time to this troll. But I think it better to err on the side of condemning stupidity rather than ignoring it, as a general rule.

I will only speak to what I have the most expertise and knowledge of, which are building events. I am on Harriton, and I have been involved at some level in every single one of our builds this year. The single most informative and useful part of states for me was a discussion I had with a builder on Athens' team. He is as smart, courteous, and dedicated a builder as I have ever met, and quite frankly, out-designed us in many events. I was able to speak to many of his teammates, both competing and non-competing members, and I had the exact same impression of them. The hours Athens pours into each event should be an source of admiration, not accusations of cheating.

rfeynman: kindly do yourself a favor and drop this ridiculous crap.
butter side up

Post by butter side up »

rfeynman wrote:First of all sorry if youre from harriton and got offended that wasn't the intent. And to anyone who says teams dont cheat and that they are how about the fact that I have overheard the coaches and parents there talking about what they did, im not even kidding, at states there was even some adult using a dremel on something from athens, they absolutely do NOT build everything themselves and it didn't take a forensics team to realize that
I would encourage you to not jump to conclusions- the incident you mentioned was another team using the outlet near Athens home base, the adult there was supervising the use of the dremel tool. Niether Athens, nor the team using the outlet had help from coaches or parents beyond basic supervision and insruction.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
googlyfrog

Post by googlyfrog »

Ok, now that we've beaten that to death, Shadyside/Harriton/Penncrest, are you driving or flying?
mingtian

Post by mingtian »

harriton always drives
biogirl14

Post by biogirl14 »

Actually, I think Harriton might be flying, although I don't know for certain.
Jim: Why Spock, I believe you're growing more human all the time.
Spock: Captain, I see no reason to stand here and be insulted.

PS: If you get the reference for location, I love you.
Osennecho

Post by Osennecho »

This is random and delayed :p very very delayed :lol:
But could anyone from Harriton find out and reply (if they still remember) their time/distance on the laser shoot at states.
I was one of the 2 members in Optics for Rustin and we were wondering as to how much that played into us getting 2nd rather than 1st (if any, but im assuming so based upon :arrow: ). Our jigs didn't fit with the size of the mirror stand there, so we ended up taking around 110 seconds (total fail :roll: ) and got 11mm off. We didn't find the test that difficult, and felt we had 0-2 wrong in all likelihood.
~Anyways GL at nationals
2012 Events: (Regionals, States, Nationals); N/A=conflict
Astronomy (6th, 7th, 16th)
Dynamic Planet (N/A, N/A, 11th)
Optics (2nd, 3rd, 5th)
Remote Sensing (N/A, 5th, 47th)

Team Overall (3rd, 2nd, 14th)
It's been a life changing 6 year experience.
sciolygrl258

Post by sciolygrl258 »

Shady Side is driving, its about 10 hours... not that bad...
PA STATES 2012:
Optics: 3rd
Experimental Design: 5th

Team: 1st!!!!! XDD

17 hr bus drive to Orlando? I think yes! ^o^
Ceram89

Post by Ceram89 »

Hey Osennecho,

I wasn't able to compete in Optics at states because of conflicts, but I spoke with those who did and here's what I heard. The mirror set up was apparently very weird, with strange frames and second surface mirrors which possibly (I may have heard this wrong) were slightly curved? Anyways, they sucked. We ended up taking longer than normal because of that, and ended up taking around 60-70 seconds getting around 3 cm off. Depending on where on that range we actually fell, we may or may not have beaten you on the LSS. They felt like the test was easy as well. I think we felt pretty confident with all our answers, so you may have gotten 1 wrong whereas we got 0, or 2 whereas we got 1. I'm sure it was close though.

Also, to respond to the earlier questions, for the first time I can remember, we are flying! I think the last time we flew was 4 years ago, so we're enjoying the luxury :P
2011 Events: Astronomy / Chemistry Lab / ED / Optics / Remote Sensing / TPS
Nationals: 4 / - / - / - / 1 / 6. Team: 8th
States: 2 / 2/ 1/ - / 1 / 1. Team: 1st
Regionals: 2 / - / 4 / 4 / 1 / 1. Team: 1st

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”