Indiana 2011

alexxela
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Indiana 2011

Post by alexxela »

If anyone is looking for Division B scores they can click on this link to view the spreadsheet http://webs.purduecal.edu/scienceolympi ... te2011.pdf
Regionals, State 2012
Microbe: 2, --
Fermi: 2, 2
Ex Des: 1, 3
Chem Lab: --, 6
Overall: 1, 1
Starapollo1
Division: Grad

Post by Starapollo1 »

2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
AngryBird
Division: B

Post by AngryBird »

This is a little late Northridge, but congrats on winning states.
whadk

Post by whadk »

Well, good job anyways, Northridge actually beat Bloomington North (as they announced before).
So you guys better pwn in Nationals, or we'll be really really mad and not even give you guys a chance to go to state, okay?
keep that in mind and good luck :)
RWARRRR :)
whadk

Post by whadk »

Sigh,, btw Bloomington North might have went to nationals if everything went alright,,
Forensics: about 15 minutes lost because of the room change
Robot Ramble: :( goal box was out (it was capable to finish everything in 47 seconds >>> that's when i tried it out in my school,,)
Disease: lol the most ghetto tie-breaker ever,,,??
Mission: Coach turned in something late (i'm not blaming her, it's just that i don't know what it was)
Ecology: Too easy test
Fossils: Too easy test (ACCORDING to the person who did it)
whadk

Post by whadk »

Starapollo1 wrote:Results for division C

http://webs.purduecal.edu/scienceolympi ... -20111.pdf
lol lol, what the heck is "Forensisca" hahaha :)
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

whadk wrote:Sigh,, btw Bloomington North might have went to nationals if everything went alright,,
Robot Ramble: :( goal box was out (it was capable to finish everything in 47 seconds >>> that's when i tried it out in my school,,)
Mission: Coach turned in something late (i'm not blaming her, it's just that i don't know what it was)
As I already said earlier on the forum EVERY team had issues. And as for the easy tests, we had the same complaints- our Fossils and Ecology kids were in uproar about how easy they were. I'm with you 100% for disease (my coach tried to arbitrate it). For Mission and Robot I don't think I quite understand what the problem was, BUT for forensics I have nothing but sympathy for you. I'm incredibly sorry and I know that having medaled last year in forensics at nationals the placing you got at state was definitely bogus.

But saturday is over, a lot of the tests were janky but we all had to deal with it. I mean I could go on and on about microbe but- oh wait, i already did lol ;) the fact is though is that next year no matter where it is, it's bound to be better than Purdue Calumet!!
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
Wadhk
State: CA

Post by Wadhk »

Starapollo1 wrote:
whadk wrote:Sigh,, btw Bloomington North might have went to nationals if everything went alright,,
As I already said earlier on the forum EVERY team had issues. And as for the easy tests, we had the same complaints- our Fossils and Ecology kids were in uproar about how easy they were. I'm with you 100% for disease (my coach tried to arbitrate it). For Mission and Robot I don't think I quite understand what the problem was, BUT for forensics I have nothing but sympathy for you. I'm incredibly sorry and I know that having medaled last year in forensics at nationals the placing you got at state was definitely bogus.

But saturday is over, a lot of the tests were janky but we all had to deal with it. I mean I could go on and on about microbe but- oh wait, i already did lol ;) the fact is though is that next year no matter where it is, it's bound to be better than Purdue Calumet!!
Yea, the state Fossils test was a bit TOO easy...... :?
2014 Events: Entomology, Materials Science, Rocks and Minerals, Scrambler
whadk

Post by whadk »

Wadhk wrote:
Starapollo1 wrote:

Yea, the state Fossils test was a bit TOO easy...... :?
Little bit? Are you freaking kidding me?? you're the person who went like "omg the test was too easy... THIS IS THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE!!" :lol:
peoneill

Post by peoneill »

Looking back with regrets is not a good feeling, starapollo is wise beyond his years - remember that everyone has their issues. We (Bloomington South) won mousetrap vehicle at the WSI invite (including Centerville) with a fantastic score then got 7th at state due to mediocre runs, our mission/tower/robot all got much WORSE scores than at previous tournaments... It can be pretty lame. But I honestly feel like the results are pretty accurate. I actually made a "what if?" analysis that gave reduced weights to events I didn't trust the results from and it didn't change the top 10. Somehow my kids are incredibly resilient to stupid tests - like they came back from microbe, ecology, astro, TPS, disease... with all the same complaints as you all and nervous that they wouldn't medal; but they were 1st/1st/1st/3rd/3rd respectively. Northridge seemed especially to suffer from the stupid academic events. But then we got whacked with 22nd in Wind Power - which is just beyond absurd. Bloomington North's 20th in forensics is also absurd. You can't 2nd tier a team for bringing candles when the rules say they should bring "flame test equipment." Candles are clearly flame test equipment. Plus that's a cruel penalty - the rules don't create any provision for a 2nd tier. When I run forensics I simply take away anything a team tries to bring that's not in the rules so long as I think they were making an honest effort to compete fairly.

The bottom line is that for all three teams with whom I've actually discussed their results (Northridge and Bloomingtons) they were clearly screwed out of points in some places.

Running these tournaments is HARD. We're spoiled by the IU system which has a fantastic director (Tina Gilliland) and the input of dozens of program alumni from many different schools/states. All in all PUC did fine - I've definitely seen worse, my largest criticism of them would be that they didn't contact any of the previous state tournaments for advice. I know many program alumni volunteered to advise or assist with events and PUC personnel didn't respond. They discarded an amazing resource, and that resource would surely have helped them to realize that the level of rigor in their academic competition was inadequate to high school state finals. Again, that said, keep in mind that between both divisions they ran 46 contests - all staffed by people who are entirely volunteers.

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”