rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Re: Washington 2011

Post by rfscoach »

Luo wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote: I'm pretty sure events within the same committee don't have conflicts. Astronomy and Rocks are both "Earth Science," so I don't think they will be scheduled at the same time.
Hm, I hope you're right! I wonder whether they're going to schedule the National Tournament alphabetically, like they did this year. Anyway, Minnesota doesn't typically have the same conflicts as Nationals, so we'll see. :)
Fossils and Astronomy conflicted at Nationals this year, but I wouldn't worry about that. Got to get there first!
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tornado guy »

Does anyone have info on what was discussed at the WSO meeting in Ellensburg this last Saturday? I'm very curious to know if they accepted CHS request for the State and National confliction's to be the same.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
Infinity Flat
Division: Grad

Post by Infinity Flat »

tornado guy wrote:Does anyone have info on what was discussed at the WSO meeting in Ellensburg this last Saturday? I'm very curious to know if they accepted CHS request for the State and National confliction's to be the same.
Based on what I've heard so far, the state and national schedules will NOT be the same, unfortunately.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
tornado guy

Post by tornado guy »

Infinity Flat wrote:
tornado guy wrote:Does anyone have info on what was discussed at the WSO meeting in Ellensburg this last Saturday? I'm very curious to know if they accepted CHS request for the State and National confliction's to be the same.
Based on what I've heard so far, the state and national schedules will NOT be the same, unfortunately.
Oh... :( That will be a HUGE bummer if that does go through!
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
Teal

Post by Teal »

What's this CHS request thing?
high school: birds, trees, widi, expdes, mousetrap, gravity
from the evergreen state to the farm, '17!
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

Teal wrote:What's this CHS request thing?
We requested that, in order to help whatever team from washington going to nationals, that the schedules be synchronized.
There were 2 main problems with this, from what I can tell:
1. The nationals schedule hasn't been released yet, and the state directors have to plan pretty far in advance so as to make sure all rooms are available.
2. For state/regional competitions, often multiple events are relegated to a single room, often classrooms with specific resources (e.g. chemistry rooms, computer labs.) The directors try and make sure that no two events, across both divisions, both requiring the same type of room (e.g. Compute This and Protein Modeling) are scheduled for the same time, so as to help prevent conflicts.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

Infinity Flat wrote:
Teal wrote:What's this CHS request thing?
We requested that, in order to help whatever team from washington going to nationals, that the schedules be synchronized.
There were 2 main problems with this, from what I can tell:
1. The nationals schedule hasn't been released yet, and the state directors have to plan pretty far in advance so as to make sure all rooms are available.
2. For state/regional competitions, often multiple events are relegated to a single room, often classrooms with specific resources (e.g. chemistry rooms, computer labs.) The directors try and make sure that no two events, across both divisions, both requiring the same type of room (e.g. Compute This and Protein Modeling) are scheduled for the same time, so as to help prevent conflicts.
Usually, the nationals tentative schedule (which, last year, didn't change at all compared to the real schedule) is posted at the end of the rulebook. You could bring that up to your state directors.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
Teal

Post by Teal »

That's a good idea - was that a conflict at Nats?
By the way, I heard from my coach that Camas isn't going to host an invitational this year (or upcoming season, whatever you want to say). Is that true?
high school: birds, trees, widi, expdes, mousetrap, gravity
from the evergreen state to the farm, '17!
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

Teal wrote:That's a good idea - was that a conflict at Nats?
By the way, I heard from my coach that Camas isn't going to host an invitational this year (or upcoming season, whatever you want to say). Is that true?
For some events, yes. But it wasn't too big of a deal.

No, we are still scheduled to hold the B Invitational December 10, and the C invitational January 21. Those dates are tentative, just fyi.
(State, Nationals)
Aia
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus

Post by Aia »

Infinity Flat wrote:
In all the years I've competed in WA SO and NSO, I've never seen a synchronized schedule. I think the only thing you can do is choose events that likely won't be scheduled at the same time (e.g., anatomy and protein modeling). Good luck!
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”