Washington 2011

User avatar
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Posts: 586
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Division: B
State: GA

Re: Washington 2011

Postby rfscoach » May 31st, 2011, 11:51 am

Luo wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote: I'm pretty sure events within the same committee don't have conflicts. Astronomy and Rocks are both "Earth Science," so I don't think they will be scheduled at the same time.

Hm, I hope you're right! I wonder whether they're going to schedule the National Tournament alphabetically, like they did this year. Anyway, Minnesota doesn't typically have the same conflicts as Nationals, so we'll see. :)


Fossils and Astronomy conflicted at Nationals this year, but I wouldn't worry about that. Got to get there first!
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Washington 2011

Postby tornado guy » June 20th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Does anyone have info on what was discussed at the WSO meeting in Ellensburg this last Saturday? I'm very curious to know if they accepted CHS request for the State and National confliction's to be the same.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

User avatar
Infinity Flat
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: March 12th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Camas, WA

Re: Washington 2011

Postby Infinity Flat » June 20th, 2011, 8:23 pm

tornado guy wrote:Does anyone have info on what was discussed at the WSO meeting in Ellensburg this last Saturday? I'm very curious to know if they accepted CHS request for the State and National confliction's to be the same.

Based on what I've heard so far, the state and national schedules will NOT be the same, unfortunately.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Washington 2011

Postby tornado guy » June 20th, 2011, 10:12 pm

Infinity Flat wrote:
tornado guy wrote:Does anyone have info on what was discussed at the WSO meeting in Ellensburg this last Saturday? I'm very curious to know if they accepted CHS request for the State and National confliction's to be the same.

Based on what I've heard so far, the state and national schedules will NOT be the same, unfortunately.


Oh... :( That will be a HUGE bummer if that does go through!
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

User avatar
Teal
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 3:45 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: in distress

Re: Washington 2011

Postby Teal » June 21st, 2011, 1:28 pm

What's this CHS request thing?
high school: birds, trees, widi, expdes, mousetrap, gravity
from the evergreen state to the farm, '17!

User avatar
Infinity Flat
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: March 12th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Camas, WA

Re: Washington 2011

Postby Infinity Flat » June 21st, 2011, 3:30 pm

Teal wrote:What's this CHS request thing?

We requested that, in order to help whatever team from washington going to nationals, that the schedules be synchronized.
There were 2 main problems with this, from what I can tell:
1. The nationals schedule hasn't been released yet, and the state directors have to plan pretty far in advance so as to make sure all rooms are available.
2. For state/regional competitions, often multiple events are relegated to a single room, often classrooms with specific resources (e.g. chemistry rooms, computer labs.) The directors try and make sure that no two events, across both divisions, both requiring the same type of room (e.g. Compute This and Protein Modeling) are scheduled for the same time, so as to help prevent conflicts.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

User avatar
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 116
Joined: February 23rd, 2008, 7:39 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Washington 2011

Postby kentuckyfan1001 » June 21st, 2011, 3:45 pm

Infinity Flat wrote:
Teal wrote:What's this CHS request thing?

We requested that, in order to help whatever team from washington going to nationals, that the schedules be synchronized.
There were 2 main problems with this, from what I can tell:
1. The nationals schedule hasn't been released yet, and the state directors have to plan pretty far in advance so as to make sure all rooms are available.
2. For state/regional competitions, often multiple events are relegated to a single room, often classrooms with specific resources (e.g. chemistry rooms, computer labs.) The directors try and make sure that no two events, across both divisions, both requiring the same type of room (e.g. Compute This and Protein Modeling) are scheduled for the same time, so as to help prevent conflicts.


Usually, the nationals tentative schedule (which, last year, didn't change at all compared to the real schedule) is posted at the end of the rulebook. You could bring that up to your state directors.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor

User avatar
Teal
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 3:45 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: in distress

Re: Washington 2011

Postby Teal » June 21st, 2011, 8:26 pm

That's a good idea - was that a conflict at Nats?
By the way, I heard from my coach that Camas isn't going to host an invitational this year (or upcoming season, whatever you want to say). Is that true?
high school: birds, trees, widi, expdes, mousetrap, gravity
from the evergreen state to the farm, '17!

User avatar
Infinity Flat
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: March 12th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Camas, WA

Re: Washington 2011

Postby Infinity Flat » June 21st, 2011, 8:29 pm

Teal wrote:That's a good idea - was that a conflict at Nats?
By the way, I heard from my coach that Camas isn't going to host an invitational this year (or upcoming season, whatever you want to say). Is that true?


For some events, yes. But it wasn't too big of a deal.

No, we are still scheduled to hold the B Invitational December 10, and the C invitational January 21. Those dates are tentative, just fyi.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Aia
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 235
Joined: April 1st, 2006, 11:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Contact:

Re: Washington 2011

Postby Aia » June 22nd, 2011, 8:35 am

Infinity Flat wrote:
tornado guy wrote:Does anyone have info on what was discussed at the WSO meeting in Ellensburg this last Saturday? I'm very curious to know if they accepted CHS request for the State and National confliction's to be the same.

Based on what I've heard so far, the state and national schedules will NOT be the same, unfortunately.


In all the years I've competed in WA SO and NSO, I've never seen a synchronized schedule. I think the only thing you can do is choose events that likely won't be scheduled at the same time (e.g., anatomy and protein modeling). Good luck!
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Washington 2011

Postby tornado guy » July 10th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Aia wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:In all the years I've competed in WA SO and NSO, I've never seen a synchronized schedule. I think the only thing you can do is choose events that likely won't be scheduled at the same time (e.g., anatomy and protein modeling). Good luck!


Why can't National's get their schedule out earlier? That would smooth some issues with kids studying all summer for an event that conflicts in the end with national's but not region and state.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Washington 2011

Postby tornado guy » August 6th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I was searching the WSO schedule site and found the tentative State schedule for Washington 2012.. washingtonscienceolympiad.com/tournaments.html
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

User avatar
Infinity Flat
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: March 12th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Camas, WA

Re: Washington 2011

Postby Infinity Flat » August 6th, 2011, 7:40 pm

tornado guy wrote:I was searching the WSO schedule site and found the tentative State schedule for Washington 2012.. washingtonscienceolympiad.com/tournaments.html

Wow, nice find!
For me, it looks like Chem Lab will conflict with Disease Detectives, which is too bad, but otherwise I'm good. :)
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Washington 2011

Postby tornado guy » August 6th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Infinity Flat wrote:Wow, nice find!
For me, it looks like Chem Lab will conflict with Disease Detectives, which is too bad, but otherwise I'm good. :)


Well as long as the National schedule doesn't mess me up, I've got my two favorite events coming back :)
As for you Infinity, it still is tentative... In the past though the official schedule has been pretty much the same as the draft schedules.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

User avatar
Infinity Flat
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: March 12th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Camas, WA

Re: Washington 2011

Postby Infinity Flat » August 6th, 2011, 10:16 pm

tornado guy wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:Wow, nice find!
For me, it looks like Chem Lab will conflict with Disease Detectives, which is too bad, but otherwise I'm good. :)


Well as long as the National schedule doesn't mess me up, I've got my two favorite events coming back :)
As for you Infinity, it still is tentative... In the past though the official schedule has been pretty much the same as the draft schedules.

Eh, I'm just glad I only got away with one conflict. :P I was expecting that since I was interested in 5 events.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)


Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron