My team is better than your team, teehee

fossilgirl13
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My team is better than your team, teehee

Post by fossilgirl13 »

My coach had us spend an entire meeting thinking of strategies on how to "one-up" the other teams. Does anyone else do this (she said so)?
Rocks and Minerals, Disease Detectives, Designer Genes
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Here's how you "one-up" other teams:
1. Study
2. Study
3. Study
4. Win fairly at regionals, states, and/or nationals.

^That's what your coach should be focusing on. Hopefully that's what she means when she says "one-up"
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
purplepeopleeater
State: TX

Post by purplepeopleeater »

^^ haha agree... at first i didn't know what to say... not like we don't discuss other teams.... but...
and honestly the only way to one up other teams is study... last year, we put in literally THOUSANDS of hours individually to make it to nats. another way would be parent participation, organization, did anyone mention studying? and wait... why am i telling you this?? :)
motivation is huge huge huge as well, we were semi underdogs and at the beginning wanting to beat other teams... and ahh .. avenge all other losses was what motivated us.
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters
fossilgirl13
State: OH

Post by fossilgirl13 »

zyzzyva98 wrote:Here's how you "one-up" other teams:
1. Study
2. Study
3. Study
4. Win fairly at regionals, states, and/or nationals.

^That's what your coach should be focusing on. Hopefully that's what she means when she says "one-up"
She was kind of saying that, but she was also talking about ludicrous stuff and I swear on the Gods of Science that she said that a frog was a reptile. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Rocks and Minerals, Disease Detectives, Designer Genes
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Our team has won State for 14 years straight, gone to Nats for 15 years, and has never placed below second in a state tournament. The second year our team was formed we got second. Every other year, we've been champs. I'm in seventh grade and I've already gone to Nats twice. In fact, I am at Nats right now. Two more years of Division B...and we've got tons of brilliant people. We also don't study very much...we cram the week before, some of us are serious more, but mostly, there's a lot of horseplay. In fact, most of the build it meetings end up being horseplay sessions...actually makes me wonder how we ever got this far so many times.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Hmm, funny how some teams work really hard and never go to nationals then, eh?
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Hmm, funny how some teams work really hard and never go to nationals then, eh?
Yeah, it's hysterical :cry: .
Some teams from the most competitive states (i.e. NY, Ohio, Michigan, California, Pennsylvania, etc.) work as hard, or even harder, than most of the teams at nationals.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

foreverphysics wrote:Our team has won State for 14 years straight, gone to Nats for 15 years, and has never placed below second in a state tournament. The second year our team was formed we got second. Every other year, we've been champs. I'm in seventh grade and I've already gone to Nats twice. In fact, I am at Nats right now. Two more years of Division B...and we've got tons of brilliant people. We also don't study very much...we cram the week before, some of us are serious more, but mostly, there's a lot of horseplay. In fact, most of the build it meetings end up being horseplay sessions...actually makes me wonder how we ever got this far so many times.
Is it just me, or does the Alabama state Bdiv "powerhouse" have a team of really really big egos? :?
quizbowl wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Hmm, funny how some teams work really hard and never go to nationals then, eh?
Yeah, it's hysterical :cry: .
Some teams from the most competitive states (i.e. NY, Ohio, Michigan, California, Pennsylvania, etc.) work as hard, or even harder, than most of the teams at nationals.
True. We don't though :P
personasaurus rex
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex »

winneratlife wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:Our team has won State for 14 years straight, gone to Nats for 15 years, and has never placed below second in a state tournament. The second year our team was formed we got second. Every other year, we've been champs. I'm in seventh grade and I've already gone to Nats twice. In fact, I am at Nats right now. Two more years of Division B...and we've got tons of brilliant people. We also don't study very much...we cram the week before, some of us are serious more, but mostly, there's a lot of horseplay. In fact, most of the build it meetings end up being horseplay sessions...actually makes me wonder how we ever got this far so many times.
Is it just me, or does the Alabama state Bdiv "powerhouse" have a team of really really big egos? :?
woooooooooooow, Alabama B division..............
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

My coaches extended practices near competitions and had focus events - where the people in an event had a more serious practice. There were generally 2 or 3 focus events. We had conferences with the event veterans who knew what to do.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”