Astronomy C

manutd94
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by manutd94 »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:Which spiral arm is our solar system in? It was on my States test yesterday, and we weren't completely sure. I've heard that it's the Orion Spur, but does that count as an arm?
Yes, it's the Orion Spur, which is a minor spiral arm (major arms are Perseus Arm, Sagittarius Arm, Centaurus Arm and Cygnus Arm).
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.
pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

manutd94 wrote:
pjgscioisamazing wrote:Which spiral arm is our solar system in? It was on my States test yesterday, and we weren't completely sure. I've heard that it's the Orion Spur, but does that count as an arm?
Yes, it's the Orion Spur, which is a minor spiral arm (major arms are Perseus Arm, Sagittarius Arm, Centaurus Arm and Cygnus Arm).
Ok, that's what I thought, thanks! :D
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
pjgscioisamazing

Also, there was a multiple choice question about our local group and the choices were that its:

A) An irregular group within a supercluster
B) A regular group within a supercluster
C) An irregular group not in a supercluster
D) A regular group not in a supercluster

OR something to that effect

I know that we are in a supercluster (Virgo Supercluster), but I don't know if our group is irregular or regular... Anyone know out there?

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:Also, there was a multiple choice question about our local group and the choices were that its:

I know that we are in a supercluster (Virgo Supercluster), but I don't know if our group is irregular or regular... Anyone know out there?
Well, it's shaped like a dog bone or a dumbbell. My guess, that would count as irregular.

What did you think of the test overall?
celtics09
Division: C

Post by celtics09 »

I was wondering how you guys studied for state. Is there a website that helps you understand the normal/starburst galaxies, mid-sized and massive black holes, galatic structure, globular clusters, population 1&2 stars, degree of star formation, calucating periodicty or distance.

Thanks,
Celtics09
Washington DC Nationals - 2008
Astronomy 27th
Fermi Questions 21st
Team 16th

Augusta Nationals-2009
Astronomy 18th
Technical Problem Solving 4th
Team 25th
celtics09
Division: C

Post by celtics09 »

What resources did u guys use at state? If at all possible, could u guys send me the resources?

thanks,
celtics09
Washington DC Nationals - 2008
Astronomy 27th
Fermi Questions 21st
Team 16th

Augusta Nationals-2009
Astronomy 18th
Technical Problem Solving 4th
Team 25th
pjgscioisamazing

Flavorflav wrote:
pjgscioisamazing wrote:Also, there was a multiple choice question about our local group and the choices were that its:

Well, it's shaped like a dog bone or a dumbbell. My guess, that would count as irregular.

What did you think of the test overall?
I thought it was a very good test... I focus on DSO's/Galaxy/THings of that nature, while my partner focuses on Math/Physics, and I thought the questions were pretty easy. I did like the graphing and charting we had to do though, although I had to double check my "HR" graph cause of the logarithmic scale :lol: My partner said a few math questions were weird..

Overall, good test, good questions.

JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

The rules say we may have to analyze light curves... can anyone give me an example of that would look like, and what kind of questions would go along with it?
pjgscioisamazing

JustDroobles wrote:The rules say we may have to analyze light curves... can anyone give me an example of that would look like, and what kind of questions would go along with it?
I would think one question would be to ID what kind of variable star a certain light curve is for. Also, I've seen a question asking about the light curve of Epsilon Aurigae at every competition I've been at so far (Invitationals, Regionals, and States). they gave the picture of the light curve and asked which object it is (Epsilon Aurigae)

JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

The spectral lines of two stars in a particular eclipsing binary system shift back and forth with a period of 8.00 months. The lines of both stars shift by equal amounts, and the amount of the Doppler shift indicates that each star has an orbital speed of 9.00×10^4. What are the masses of the two stars? Assume that each of the two stars traces a circular orbit around their center of mass.

How would you solve this?

Return to “2010 Study Events”