Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by zyzzyva980 »

ALWAYS make sure you have quantitative. Always.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
Helix_Nebula_Freak
Division: C
State: PA

Post by Helix_Nebula_Freak »

The lesson was definitly learned... Luckily, it was only an Invitational, and not anything that counted for real....
2010 Events: Shock Value: 1st in Region, 2nd in State Experimental Design: 2nd in State Pentatholon: 3rd in State Solar System: 2nd in Region

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” ~Rollo May
sciolyscorpio95
Division: B

Post by sciolyscorpio95 »

oh yeah...we forgot we needed a quantitative so when we went to make the graph, it made no sense...
Regionals 2011: 2nd in Road Scholar, 2nd in Exp. Design, 5th in Solar System
<3 Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, and the Hunger Games
<3 Taylor, The Scene, JB, Muse

"I'm no beauty queen, I'm just beautiful me <3"
"I've never heard silence quite this loud"
rizzyz
State: SC

Post by rizzyz »

We've had some graphing trouble too. One of the guys on my team is out "math man" who does all the graphing and we're always arguing with him at the beginning of our experiments about whether or not he can graph what we want to try to do.

That said, we've ever had a problem with bar graphs vs. line graphs. We won our state competition this year and did decently at nationals last year, both with bar graphs.
Current Events: Ornithology, Technical Problem Solving (That's a new one for me!), Experimental Design, Write It Do It
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

You can't argue with someone, you've got to trust them. It sounds like you did well enough at competitions so don't let this tear your group apart.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
rizzyz
State: SC

Post by rizzyz »

Thanks. And we won't. Please don't be too alarmed. Our team is simply rather argumentative by conception--we've all been friends for years and years. I guess it's just part of our thinking process or something. My point is just that while statistics and trends are much easier to do for line graphs, you can still get a lot done with a bar. Good point about trusting your team members though. You can't do it all by yourself. If you tried, you'd run out of time, though I'm guessing that would be the least of your problems. I know I'm nothing at all without my team! :D
Current Events: Ornithology, Technical Problem Solving (That's a new one for me!), Experimental Design, Write It Do It
Helix_Nebula_Freak

I was at Regionals today and had the MOST UNFAIR, IMPROPER Experimental design.

Okay, so first of all, they gave us an experiment to do, which they really shouldn't have, but I could deal with that. Then, I look at the experiment and realize that IT'S NOT EVEN AN EXPERIMENT!!!!!! It was "design an object to prevent an egg from breaking when dropped from a height of 8 feet." WHERE IS THE EXPERIMENT THERE????

Then, on the packet to write in, we don't see anywhere to do a graph, so I ask where we should do a graph. And the proctor's like, "Don't do a graph, because you're not doing multiple trials." :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

At this point we're all like " :x " anyway, but then we realize that the proctor gave us definitions within the packet. Fine. Until we realize that the definition for Independant Variable is 100% wrong!!!!!! It said: "The Variable that does not affect the other variables..." :?: :?: :?:

We still had to do the rest of the rubrick, but needless to say, we didn't do very well.... :evil:
2010 Events: Shock Value: 1st in Region, 2nd in State Experimental Design: 2nd in State Pentatholon: 3rd in State Solar System: 2nd in Region

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” ~Rollo May
colombiano
State: TX

Post by colombiano »

wow i thought we had a bad topic at an invitational but that really tops it off! :shock:
Regionals SLHS C Division
1st in Remote Sensing

Texas State Competition Division B WCJH!!
1st in Trajectory 1st in Expirimental Design 3rd in Anatomy
3rd place overall in our second year participating
Friedoyster3
State: IN

Post by Friedoyster3 »

i don't know about everybody else but i have a good felling about this event for nats and i found a really good way to study
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
Helix_Nebula_Freak

In general, I love this event. It's always been one of my best.

If you don't mind sharing, I would love to know what your study method is. I personally find that just straight-forward practice is the best way to study... Do you have a different method?

Return to “2010 Lab Events”