It's About Time C

Bogoradwee
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: It's About Time C

Post by Bogoradwee »

those sound really easy.... the last one i'm pretty sure i have in my binder near the front. the other stuff i could do even in my head if i REALLY had to (the seconds in a week wouldn't be very fun)
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

Bogoradwee wrote:those sound really easy.... the last one i'm pretty sure i have in my binder near the front. the other stuff i could do even in my head if i REALLY had to (the seconds in a week wouldn't be very fun)
have you done this event yet!?!?
they may sound easy but they are much more difficult
for ex.-
How many time zones are used in the U.S.? (one of the easier ones, don't forget about territoreis)

What is a modified Julian date?

What timezone do they use in the international space station?

and many other harder questions I cant remember right now
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Has anyone considered making a pendulum that moves in the path of a cycloid? My calculus book says it is a good idea.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
texan92

Post by texan92 »

For people that have been using rigid rod pendulums, what were your masses of the the pendulum and rod? I was trying out a rigid rod and it doesn't seem to last more that a 100 seconds.

My rod is 20 g while the mass I'm using is 250 g. Is weight of the rod the issue or the contact b/w the rod and axle? I'm using a single ball bearing (3/8 in inner diameter, 5/8 in outer diameter) to put them together fyi.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bogoradwee
State: MI

Post by Bogoradwee »

i've never made a pendulum, but if you have a heavier mass, wouldn't that more force, meaning more energy behind the swing, allowing it to go longer? That just seems to make sense to me, but i can't remember the physics of a pendulum off hand right now, which probably isn't good considering regionals is on saturday
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk »

Bogoradwee wrote:i've never made a pendulum, but if you have a heavier mass, wouldn't that more force, meaning more energy behind the swing, allowing it to go longer? That just seems to make sense to me, but i can't remember the physics of a pendulum off hand right now, which probably isn't good considering regionals is on saturday
adding more weight will not help the time very much
it happens because of other forces such as friction and drag and especially the rigidness of the stand, if it sways with the swing your pendulum will not last long
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
walkingstyx

Post by walkingstyx »

texan92 wrote:For people that have been using rigid rod pendulums, what were your masses of the the pendulum and rod? I was trying out a rigid rod and it doesn't seem to last more that a 100 seconds.

My rod is 20 g while the mass I'm using is 250 g. Is weight of the rod the issue or the contact b/w the rod and axle? I'm using a single ball bearing (3/8 in inner diameter, 5/8 in outer diameter) to put them together fyi.
The contact between the rod and axle is more likely to be the issue. The weight of the rod should not be all that significant, though it could be an issue considering how similar the two are in your pendulum.
As I recall, Primate was having similar problems with his rigid pendulum, I think the issue turned out to be the bearing he was using, but you could ask him.
We use an extremely heavy weight at the bottom of our pendulum, several kilograms. Adding weight to the bottom would probably help, but the best way is just to try and see.

Also, the cycloid idea has been on these forums pretty much as long as Time has been around, and nobody has ever reported making one. I think it's too much work for too little return.
Nationals 2010- Astronomy: 4, Physics Lab: 4, Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 10, Optics: 2
Nationals 2009- Picture This: 4, It's About Time: 8, Astronomy: 9
Nationals 2008- Picture This: 2, Boomilever: 14
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

Just click on "Search" in the header menu of any page on these forums and enter "cycloid" in the "Search for Keywords" box. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Search" button. Here's just one of the results returned.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

texan92 wrote:For people that have been using rigid rod pendulums, what were your masses of the the pendulum and rod? I was trying out a rigid rod and it doesn't seem to last more that a 100 seconds.

Use a bigger mass and look for friction. Ours swings for 25 minutes or more.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

Flavorflav wrote:

Use a bigger mass and look for friction. Ours swings for 25 minutes or more.
WOW, what is the size of your mass?

Return to “2010 Build Events”