Experimental Design B/C

twiggy_7
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by twiggy_7 »

uggg experimental design at my regionals was a nightmare!!! the proctor went to the wrong college so everyone was unsupervised for 30 minutes until they found a new one so we only had 25 minutes to do the experiment and write up. Then our materials were what they could find in the room; cups of water pippetes and some change out of the proctors pocket =\ so we had 2 share the coins. :x
Experimental design 1st
Science crime busters 2nd
Bio process lab 3rd
Junkyard challenge 5th
Avis_de-Incendia
Division: B

Post by Avis_de-Incendia »

twiggy_7 wrote:uggg experimental design at my regionals was a nightmare!!! the proctor went to the wrong college so everyone was unsupervised for 30 minutes until they found a new one so we only had 25 minutes to do the experiment and write up. Then our materials were what they could find in the room; cups of water pippetes and some change out of the proctors pocket =\ so we had 2 share the coins. :x
Ah, the same happened to us at invitationals, but they postponed the event until near the end of the day...I think in these situations the event should just be cancelled. >>
Hello! :]
Helix_Nebula_Freak
Division: C
State: PA

Post by Helix_Nebula_Freak »

Avis_de-Incendia wrote:
twiggy_7 wrote:uggg experimental design at my regionals was a nightmare!!! the proctor went to the wrong college so everyone was unsupervised for 30 minutes until they found a new one so we only had 25 minutes to do the experiment and write up. Then our materials were what they could find in the room; cups of water pippetes and some change out of the proctors pocket =\ so we had 2 share the coins. :x
Ah, the same happened to us at invitationals, but they postponed the event until near the end of the day...I think in these situations the event should just be cancelled. >>
That's HORRIBLE, twiggy_7!!!!!!! But at least everyone's in the same boat right? I mean it was hard for everyone.... One of the nice things about SO, I think, is that it's not how well you do that matters, it's how well you do compared to everyone else.

I agree with Avis de-Incendia, though. They should have canceled....
2010 Events: Shock Value: 1st in Region, 2nd in State Experimental Design: 2nd in State Pentatholon: 3rd in State Solar System: 2nd in Region

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” ~Rollo May
Kroo
State: IL

Post by Kroo »

Anyone mind elaborating on the qualitative observations? The rubric asks for observations about results, procedure/deviations, results/experiment not directly relating to DV, and throughout the course of the experiment.

By observations, does it simply mean... quirks in the experiment? What exactly is it asking for?
For the observations on the results given, would you just give the extremes of your data?
For observations about procedure/deviation, would you just write about possible errors, but save the elaboration for the errors section?
For observations about results/experiments not directly relating to DV, would you just describe some interesting things noticed while running the experiment?
What's an example of observations given throughout the course of the experiment? How would the judges tell if your observations were "throughout the course of the experiment"?

Also, in the errors section, it asks for "Important info about data collection given." What is it asking for? How does that relate to errors?

Thanks a bunch.
packer-backer91
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by packer-backer91 »

Kroo wrote:Anyone mind elaborating on the qualitative observations? The rubric asks for observations about results, procedure/deviations, results/experiment not directly relating to DV, and throughout the course of the experiment.

By observations, does it simply mean... quirks in the experiment? What exactly is it asking for?
For the observations on the results given, would you just give the extremes of your data?
For observations about procedure/deviation, would you just write about possible errors, but save the elaboration for the errors section?
For observations about results/experiments not directly relating to DV, would you just describe some interesting things noticed while running the experiment?
What's an example of observations given throughout the course of the experiment? How would the judges tell if your observations were "throughout the course of the experiment"?

Also, in the errors section, it asks for "Important info about data collection given." What is it asking for? How does that relate to errors?

Thanks a bunch.

talk about things you see and hear, make comment if you see something unexpected [spontaneous combustion], to give you some help on a possible idea to do is to have a beginning, middle, and end on your report and just put as much observations that you see. This area is hard to be wrong in as long as your observations don’t have numerical values to them and have some obvious thought behind them you will get full or partial points for this area.

For errors part, say what the error was due to and explain they this anomaly is valid to be considered when viewing the overall results of the experiment [ie why is it valid to "throw out" an outlier from analysis]. Definitely explain what was the cause of your deviation and how the set up was some how responsible for the creation of such data points.
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
xynon321
State: FL

Post by xynon321 »

My partner for experimental design refuse to learn all the steps!!!!! I completed a whole experiment with one second left over, I'm worried that i won't have enough time to finish the experiment at sate!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spideychief4
State: NJ

Post by Spideychief4 »

Chances are, that you will have a ball as one of your materials. So you can probably prepare beforehand for these.
Events for 2010
Regional: Write it, Do it
States: Trajectory, Physical Science Lab, Experimental Design
My Favorite Quote
"Well Done... is better than well said"
-Mr. Benjamin Franklin
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

xynon321 wrote:My partner for experimental design refuse to learn all the steps!!!!! I completed a whole experiment with one second left over, I'm worried that i won't have enough time to finish the experiment at sate!!!!!!!!!!!!
You should see if you can get another partner, it's not that hard of an event to do. If you can't (even if you do), be sure to make sure everyone knows what they're doing beforehand. One person does the experiment, one does the write-up, something like that. Whatever feels comfortable for your group.
Spideychief4 wrote:Chances are, that you will have a ball as one of your materials. So you can probably prepare beforehand for these.
It depends. The two main types of experiments I've had to deal with are physics and chemicals. If there's a physics event, a ball is probably going to be there (ready to start your ramp?). If it's chemicals, a ball would most likely not be involved. I'd prepare for everything, but have a good idea of what you're going to do if, say, a ball was one of your materials, among other things.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

Simplicity is good for this event...having a simple event with a good write up is better than wasting like 15 minutes thinking of a fancy experiment.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
packer-backer91
State: MI

Post by packer-backer91 »

lllazar wrote:Simplicity is good for this event...having a simple event with a good write up is better than wasting like 15 minutes thinking of a fancy experiment.

that is key to success, actually doing and thinking the experiment should use as little time as possible. there is no point on the rubric of experiment complexity or how creative your are. For this event there is too much to get dune in 50 minutes to have use so much time to come up with an experiment.
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss

Return to “2010 Lab Events”