Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
x16VOLTx
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Envirothon

Post by x16VOLTx »

Just wondering if any SciO members also compete in the Envirothon; if so, what topic do you specialize in, and how has your team done?

I've been varsity captain for two years, and we've placed first in counties the last four years... I place 8/67 in Wildlife at the state competition. =)
Last edited by x16VOLTx on March 23rd, 2010, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who have Faith
Throught it have Power
And they shall known Glory
Unto the final end

Regional Events:
~2010~
Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd
Ornithology - 3rd
Ecology
Fossils
Disease Detective
sciolympian
State: DE

Re: Envirothon

Post by sciolympian »

What's Envirothon? Does it have to do with the Pentathlon? :?:
x16VOLTx

Post by x16VOLTx »

The Envirothon is pretty much a "Get your hands dirty" version of Science Olympiad, which is why I like it more. It's not just about sitting down and studying a book, you have to have street smarts as well as book smarts. Hunting and fishing help you out alot. Many people on this website have never heard of it, but it exsists in 48 states, and I believe 7 different Canadian providences. The competitions are broken down into Counties, States, and then Nationals, which is the giant Canon Envirothon. You compete as teams of five.

Additionally, they test you on five topics: Wildlife, Aquatics, Forestry, Soils and Land Use, and Current Issue. Current Issue changes from year to year, all others stay the same. My school has won counties the last four years, and we're planning on making a fifth victory not long from now. As a team we placed 40/67 at states, but as an individual, I placed 8/67 in my topic, Wildlife. I've been Captain for two years, so I had to do good, lol...

I got lucky this year with the introduction of the Ornithology topic in SciO, as I knew about 75% of the species on the bird list from my work on Envirothon.

You should really look into it, if you like SciO, then you'll love Envirothon just as much, maybe even more!
Those who have Faith
Throught it have Power
Unto the final end

Regional Events:
~2010~
Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd
Ornithology - 3rd
Ecology
Fossils
Disease Detective
sciolykid101
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

x16VOLTx wrote:The Envirothon is pretty much a "Get your hands dirty" version of Science Olympiad, which is why I like it more. It's not just about sitting down and studying a book, you have to have street smarts as well as book smarts. Hunting and fishing help you out alot. Many people on this website have never heard of it, but it exsists in 48 states, and I believe 7 different Canadian providences. The competitions are broken down into Counties, States, and then Nationals, which is the giant Canon Envirothon. You compete as teams of five.

Additionally, they test you on five topics: Wildlife, Aquatics, Forestry, Soils and Land Use, and Current Issue. Current Issue changes from year to year, all others stay the same. My school has won counties the last four years, and we're planning on making a fifth victory not long from now. As a team we placed 40/67 at states, but as an individual, I placed 8/67 in my topic, Wildlife. I've been Captain for two years, so I had to do good, lol...

I got lucky this year with the introduction of the Ornithology topic in SciO, as I knew about 75% of the species on the bird list from my work on Envirothon.

You should really look into it, if you like SciO, then you'll love Envirothon just as much, maybe even more!
Apparently, I didn't sign up too late. XD My regionals are on the 20th of April. I'm doing Soils, and forestry is my secondary topic, if it doesn't work out. I'm new to this, and apparently the rival school in my region got 15th as a team in Nationals (my school always gets 2nd at Regionals). The rival school got an 84/100 on their soil test, so I guess they're pretty hard to beat. Instead of medals, we get plaques. I'm sort of looking forward to this, but it's not a really big deal at my high school. At your state, doesn't Penncrest always win?
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
x16VOLTx

Post by x16VOLTx »

Yes, Penn Crest is insane... They ace nearly every test. Our local game commissioner is actually investigating it though, he is entirely convinced that the team is getting copies of the state test before they compete... I don't know if its true, but 100% is crazy to me... I enjoy it either way =)
Those who have Faith
Throught it have Power
Unto the final end

Regional Events:
~2010~
Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd
Ornithology - 3rd
Ecology
Fossils
Disease Detective
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

Looks like my school doesn't have a team, but it sounds great...
In full color since 2006
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by haven chuck »

x16VOLTx wrote:Yes, Penn Crest is insane... They ace nearly every test. Our local game commissioner is actually investigating it though, he is entirely convinced that the team is getting copies of the state test before they compete... I don't know if its true, but 100% is crazy to me... I enjoy it either way =)
I remember hearing that Penncrest won Nationals in Environthon last year, so unless they also are getting the tests before that competition too, which they obviously aren't, then I think that yes, they really are just that good. You may not have started the rumour, but throwing around accusations is probably not something you want to get into. Just saying, they deserve credit.
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
x16VOLTx

Post by x16VOLTx »

Yes, Penn Crest won at nationals, and I'm not accusing anyone... You need to participate to understand exactly where some of these things are coming from... I have upmost respect for Penn Crest, and because they are doing such a good job at the competitions, they give me even more drive to work harder... As a team collectively, I don't think we'll beat them at states, but as an individual, I think it's quite possible I can beat them in my individual topic since I placed 8th in the state last year... Unlike most people on my team I have two years of experience at the state competition while they have only one, or none at all...

But moving on, if your school doesn't have a team, you should make one!!! It's easy to do, just gather four other people, a teacher to be your coach, then get into contact with your local conservation district / Envirothon Coordinator!!! The more the merrier =D If I can help in anyway let me know!!!
Those who have Faith
Throught it have Power
Unto the final end

Regional Events:
~2010~
Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd
Ornithology - 3rd
Ecology
Fossils
Disease Detective
x16VOLTx

Post by x16VOLTx »

sciolykid101 wrote:The rival school got an 84/100 on their soil test, so I guess they're pretty hard to beat. Instead of medals, we get plaques. I'm sort of looking forward to this, but it's not a really big deal at my high school. At your state, doesn't Penncrest always win?
Our Soils person scored first place with a 78/100. It's hard to compare these two scores though, because your competition and mine are from different states, so the tests are alot different... Do you have to use the soil map and texture books on your test or no?
Those who have Faith
Throught it have Power
Unto the final end

Regional Events:
~2010~
Mousetrap Vehicle - 3rd
Ornithology - 3rd
Ecology
Fossils
Disease Detective
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

We had our county Envirothon today. Our team, the Picky Porcupines (I didn't come up with the name since I was put in a week before the competition), won Forestry, which was the first time our high school won anything Envirothon-related. We also got 7th out of 18, which is not bad considering. :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “General Chat”