State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by packer-backer91 »

winneratlife wrote:
:x

That ruined my day...
So I now have to waste my first run to calibrate?...

RAWR

Not cool
Yes, this is a rule that can be questionable yet at the same time I agree why the rule is in place [if you find that the vehicle is not handling like it does at practice you obviously would change something on your vehicle to correct it] now that opportunity needs to be open to all that would like to have a practice run. That can't happen at State because there is 46ish teams there and you HAVE to provide equal treatment to all teams thus if all teams cant get a practice run the NO one can gets one. That rule is in place to prevent giving teams an unfair advantage. Their is no good way to allow equal treatment if you allowed for open runs before the event started on the tracked on which you will be judged. Case and point I would show up 1.5hr before the impounding starts and I might end up staying there until I feel the vehicle is adjusted perfectly to the floor.

But, this is perfectly allowed: because you can’t run on the track you can have some test runs in areas that are not taped off. What happens is there is always a huge line to impound so to pass time some teams made a few test runs to see how the vehicle was doing. Not perfect but that may make you a little happier.
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
winneratlife
Division: Grad

Post by winneratlife »

packer-backer91 wrote:
winneratlife wrote:
:x

That ruined my day...
So I now have to waste my first run to calibrate?...

RAWR

Not cool
Yes, this is a rule that can be questionable yet at the same time I agree why the rule is in place [if you find that the vehicle is not handling like it does at practice you obviously would change something on your vehicle to correct it] now that opportunity needs to be open to all that would like to have a practice run. That can't happen at State because there is 46ish teams there and you HAVE to provide equal treatment to all teams thus if all teams cant get a practice run the NO one can gets one. That rule is in place to prevent giving teams an unfair advantage. Their is no good way to allow equal treatment if you allowed for open runs before the event started on the tracked on which you will be judged. Case and point I would show up 1.5hr before the impounding starts and I might end up staying there until I feel the vehicle is adjusted perfectly to the floor.

But, this is perfectly allowed: because you can’t run on the track you can have some test runs in areas that are not taped off. What happens is there is always a huge line to impound so to pass time some teams made a few test runs to see how the vehicle was doing. Not perfect but that may make you a little happier.
Haha that's what I did. I meant that you test it in random places, not on the actual track...

At regionals, they hadn't even laid down the track yet.

So all 46 teams can test... There's lots of space.

So I guess I'm good :D
packer-backer91

How there the times at your regional? I got 22second with my old vehicle how did that compare to what you saw at your regional? [Vehicle V3 = not done yet]
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

packer-backer91 wrote:How there the times at your regional? I got 22second with my old vehicle how did that compare to what you saw at your regional? [Vehicle V3 = not done yet]

Sorry... I didn't see anything...

I went second, then had to leave for orchestra festival.
packer-backer91

Gooblah wrote:Alright, so I managed to finish building the mousetrap vehicle, but with one significant problem: it doesn't go backward. :lol: Which is odd. The winding is correct (clockwise -> once around pin -> counter clockwise), but when I release the lever arm it simply stops halfway. When I push the lever arm forward to simulate how the vehicle would move, it goes forward a bit more then starts moving backward, indicating the problem is perhaps in the mousetrap itself? Has anyone run into a similar issue?

Does the string have tension on it for the entire run? [if there is nothing pulling on the axel that can be the cause of why your vehicle will not reverse]. I don’t exactly use your design but the principal that you use works on my vehicle well. Is the string being hocked on something? Or is our mouse trap being using all of it’s energy and your vehicle only goes halfway back? Not exactly sure what your problem may be. I’m just gave you a list of problems that I have seen happen.
beaverkid

Post by beaverkid »

packer-backer91 wrote:
franklinknights wrote:hmm, mine was done in 15 seconds

and i missed the center of start line by 63 inches
still got first cuz guy who was 2nd had his returned @ 3.5 line

those skools from chicago, U R GONNA GET WHOOPED!
that is a very good time! If you can work on your stopping distance you will have a very solid vehicle.

Also did the person that submitted the rule clarification on the track bonus ever get a reply. I'm Still waiting on mine that has sent over 3weeks ago and have yet to hear a response. Is there a limit to one question per year or something with the national clarifications I have sent 2 this year and have only got one response? I have sent more than one the last few years and have gotten a response quickly, I was just curious if they had set a limit on the clarifications one person could ask for?
They posted the answer on the National Web Page:
http://soinc.org/node/581

"The lane bonus will be given to any device whose pointer remains within the 1.5 meter lane throughout the entire run. This is consistent with the example at the end of the rules."
packer-backer91

beaverkid wrote:

"The lane bonus will be given to any device whose pointer remains within the 1.5 meter lane throughout the entire run. This is consistent with the example at the end of the rules."

Thanks, I still am confused, that’s another great National Clarification, they sometime word the rules so weird. So what are they saying?

no bonus if [x = pointer of vehicle, | = 1.5 lane, _ = finish line/8m line]
__
| | X
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

but this one would get the - 20 bounus?

X__
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

if the second pic would not get the bonus then their example is wrong!?
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

In your second example, the run is over when the pointer crosses the line, therefore it was still within the lane at all times during the run even if it crosses the line? In your first example, it crosses the lane boundary BEFORE the run is finished.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Gooblah
Division: C

Post by Gooblah »

packer-backer91 wrote:
Gooblah wrote:Alright, so I managed to finish building the mousetrap vehicle, but with one significant problem: it doesn't go backward. :lol: Which is odd. The winding is correct (clockwise -> once around pin -> counter clockwise), but when I release the lever arm it simply stops halfway. When I push the lever arm forward to simulate how the vehicle would move, it goes forward a bit more then starts moving backward, indicating the problem is perhaps in the mousetrap itself? Has anyone run into a similar issue?

Does the string have tension on it for the entire run? [if there is nothing pulling on the axel that can be the cause of why your vehicle will not reverse]. I don’t exactly use your design but the principal that you use works on my vehicle well. Is the string being hocked on something? Or is our mouse trap being using all of it’s energy and your vehicle only goes halfway back? Not exactly sure what your problem may be. I’m just gave you a list of problems that I have seen happen.
It should, the string is still taut when the lever arm is being pulled.

The axle was two lego rods connected with one of those blue pieces with a hole through it? I think the string keeps getting snagged on the blue piece, since when I push the lever arm, it goes forward then backward as it should....I'm planning on switching the axle, ultimately.
Events: Remote Sensing, Chem. Lab, It's About Time, Dynamic Planet, Mission Possible, Env. Chem. The latter two I found out I had to do 4 weeks before Regionals. Fun, fun, fun.
beaverkid

Post by beaverkid »

packer-backer91 wrote:
beaverkid wrote:

Thanks, I still am confused, that’s another great National Clarification, they sometime word the rules so weird. So what are they saying?

no bonus if [x = pointer of vehicle, | = 1.5 lane, _ = finish line/8m line]
__
| | X
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

but this one would get the - 20 bounus?

X__
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

if the second pic would not get the bonus then their example is wrong!?

I agree with fleet130 that the 2nd picture should get the lane bonus......afterall, the clarification states that the example is correct......maybe that's why they put that statement there *shrug*

Return to “2010 Build Events”