National Qualification

sisomg11
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: National Qualification

Post by sisomg11 »

What I think was meant was that schools who were good enough would not need to attend the extra wildcard round, since they would already qualify by winning their state
2007(B):Solar System, Tower Building
2008(C):Food Chemistry, Rocks and Minerals, Fermi Questions, Disease Detectives (as a backup in case of conflicts)
2009:Environmental Chemistry, Forensics, Astronomy, TPS (as backup)
2010:Chem Lab, Environmental Chemistry, Forensics, Astronomy, Picture This
E Edgar
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by E Edgar »

Well, of the 60 teams at nats, 50 would not have to go to a region tournament.

I am sorry if everyone seems to think that I'm being condescending to many schools but that was not the way the original post was intended. The only schools who would need to go to this competition would be schools that rarely make nats anyway and would jump at this extra chance.

It would also be a back-up competition for those schools who definitely should be at nationals but because of unforeseen circumstances (like elevators not working...) did not make it through state.

Finally, our school actually provides $0 for Science Olympiad and yet we never have what I would call financial trouble. We get all of our funds through car washes, candy sales, donations from businesses, and donations from parents.

Again, if I have offended anyone, please reread my original post because I was not intending to.
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
Friedoyster3
Division: C

Post by Friedoyster3 »

Yeah Wilbur Wright for making it to nats for the 3rd time in 18 years
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
sciolyandmathcounts
Division: B

Post by sciolyandmathcounts »

WWMS is on an upward trend. We've made it to nats 3 times in the past 5 years. Maybe we'll beat TJ one day. ;)
WWMS 2010-2011!
Events:
Microbe Mission
Shock Value
Experimental Design
???????????
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by kjhsscioly »

E Edgar wrote:Well, of the 60 teams at nats, 50 would not have to go to a region tournament.

I am sorry if everyone seems to think that I'm being condescending to many schools but that was not the way the original post was intended. The only schools who would need to go to this competition would be schools that rarely make nats anyway and would jump at this extra chance.

It would also be a back-up competition for those schools who definitely should be at nationals but because of unforeseen circumstances (like elevators not working...) did not make it through state.

Finally, our school actually provides $0 for Science Olympiad and yet we never have what I would call financial trouble. We get all of our funds through car washes, candy sales, donations from businesses, and donations from parents.

Again, if I have offended anyone, please reread my original post because I was not intending to.
I agree with Phenylethylamine. Our team is quite competitive, and we usually place 3rd at state, but we have made it to nats. Our district doesn't fund us at all, and we couldn't find anyone to sponsor us. Our usual state winners have a $10,000 budget for SO, and t schools with budgets like that are at a clear advantage.
sciencegeek100
State: CA

Post by sciencegeek100 »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Two problems with 2 for each state: that ends up in 90-something teams, which is way too much. Plus, do you want a state with about 15 teams to have the same teams as one with 300? There has to be some difference, even if it's the same we have now. Personally, I thought the ideas with bonus teams were good, just a little confusing.

if it was based on competitiveness... california south should get 2 by itself, they are 4 or 5 teams in that location who had teams in the last 5 years that would probably get top 10 at nationals, however the 60 best teams in the country would come from a total of about 15 or 20 states so i guess thats why they dont do it by like 60 best scores or something... LOL
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

sciencegeek100 wrote:however the 60 best teams in the country would come from a total of about 15 or 20 states so i guess thats why they dont do it by like 60 best scores or something... LOL
wouldn't that in itself be a nationals competition ;)
SO4L
State: IL

Post by SO4L »

From Illinois:

New Trier High School
Adlai E. Stevenson High School

Marie Murphy Middle School
South Middle School
2010 State_Nationals
Ornithology - 2nd, 11th
Picture This - 7th, 16h
Ecology - 6th, 15th
Mission Possible - 1st, 12th

2011 State_Nationals
Ornithology - 6th, 9th
Towers - 2nd, 16th
Protein Modeling - 1st, 6th
Mission Possible - 1st, 9th
EpicFailOlympian
State: MO

Post by EpicFailOlympian »

andrewwski wrote:I agree with rocketman said. I do think, however, that larger states (size-wise) should get additional spots (as I believe they do). It's not fair to have a state with 50 teams send the same amount as a state with 300 teams.
But how do determine how many teams? :?:
20:05~<EpicFailOlympian> On this day, in the third age of man, EpicFailOlympian has posted. Let there be rejoicing in the streets and cake for all.

<roboefo> (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<robobear> well u know what efo, the table's angry
<robobear> ┬─┬ ︵ /(.□. \)I am 97th Assassinator
sciolyandmathcounts
Division: B

Post by sciolyandmathcounts »

I think the system is decent as it is, but we should give a few more slots for two teams for competitive states like New Jersey that usually don't get a second slot.
WWMS 2010-2011!
Events:
Microbe Mission
Shock Value
Experimental Design
???????????

Return to “2010 Nationals”