General Questions

User avatar
Sir_L_Jenkins
Member
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: November 2nd, 2009, 2:40 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: General Questions

Post by Sir_L_Jenkins » April 16th, 2010, 7:55 pm

cypressfalls Robert wrote:its the old wingnut trick, I got the motor from a garage sale, literllay it was a cordless drill motor, just the motor. so i don't know the actual voltage recomended, were using a 6 volt right now, and after using a voltmeter have found it is only at 5.92. Is a voltage regulator allowed? becasue i think that might help.
I think a voltage regulator is technically a transistor, which is not allowed
I was researching them before for that exact purpose, however I believe I concluded that they would be illegal, if they are actually allowed by all means correct me
*Ahem*
Mentlegen.

Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 705
Joined: January 4th, 2004, 5:53 pm
Division: Grad
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: General Questions

Post by Dark Sabre » April 16th, 2010, 11:58 pm

Sir_L_Jenkins wrote:I think a voltage regulator is technically a transistor, which is not allowed
I was researching them before for that exact purpose, however I believe I concluded that they would be illegal, if they are actually allowed by all means correct me
Correct, you cannot use voltage regulators. Here's the block diagram of a pretty typical linear voltage regulator:
Image
There's plenty that's not allowed, but in particular there is the transistor in the top right.
cypressfalls Robert wrote:its the old wingnut trick, I got the motor from a garage sale, literllay it was a cordless drill motor, just the motor. so i don't know the actual voltage recomended, were using a 6 volt right now, and after using a voltmeter have found it is only at 5.92. Is a voltage regulator allowed? becasue i think that might help.
If it is a cordless drill motor, then it was probably running off of a multiple of 1.2V, rather than 1.5V. I mean, it will work with whatever, but you might actually be aiming more in the 7.2V range for ideal results. But I'd just play it by ear...and by nose.

cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 499
Joined: January 6th, 2009, 7:54 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: General Questions

Post by cypressfalls Robert » April 17th, 2010, 12:07 am

are there any voltage regulators without transistors?....linear or electromagnetic/electromechanical voltage regulators......

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 433
Joined: November 10th, 2001, 3:06 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: General Questions

Post by fleet130 » April 17th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Resistors can be used to limit voltage, but they do a poor job and waste power. The problem is that they limit current which is necessary to produce torque needed to get things started. The reduction in torque can produce erratic, unpredictable results. You're better off using the proper voltage to run the motor and reducing the speed with gearing, if necessary.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

maggymay
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 4:24 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Questions

Post by maggymay » April 17th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Sometimes I think I almost hate this event...all this 'not allowed' stuff is driving us crazy. We're really really REALLY *trying* to follow the rules, but sometimes they're hard to figure out and sometimes it's hard to get a *clear* clarification.

cypressfalls Robert - Are there ANY of your task-actions that you can gear? If you gear down the pulling/pushing up/down motion that might slow down that particular task. It's kind of like the difference between a little kid's trike and a racing bike...I *think*. Could you maybe decrease the amount of voltage a task is getting, maybe even something as simple as using a smaller battery-set? :?

Have I said before that sometimes I almost hate this event?

fredfredburger
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: March 21st, 2010, 9:52 am
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Questions

Post by fredfredburger » April 17th, 2010, 3:37 pm

maggymay wrote:Sometimes I think I almost hate this event...all this 'not allowed' stuff is driving us crazy. We're really really REALLY *trying* to follow the rules, but sometimes they're hard to figure out and sometimes it's hard to get a *clear* clarification.

cypressfalls Robert - Are there ANY of your task-actions that you can gear? If you gear down the pulling/pushing up/down motion that might slow down that particular task. It's kind of like the difference between a little kid's trike and a racing bike...I *think*. Could you maybe decrease the amount of voltage a task is getting, maybe even something as simple as using a smaller battery-set? :?

Have I said before that sometimes I almost hate this event?
Well, I'd say more like riding a bike in 1st vs. 7th gear...

Decreasing voltage scares me, I feels like setting yourself up for failure.

maggymay
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 4:24 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Questions

Post by maggymay » April 17th, 2010, 7:17 pm

fredfredburger wrote:
maggymay wrote:Sometimes I think I almost hate this event...all this 'not allowed' stuff is driving us crazy. We're really really REALLY *trying* to follow the rules, but sometimes they're hard to figure out and sometimes it's hard to get a *clear* clarification.

cypressfalls Robert - Are there ANY of your task-actions that you can gear? If you gear down the pulling/pushing up/down motion that might slow down that particular task. It's kind of like the difference between a little kid's trike and a racing bike...I *think*. Could you maybe decrease the amount of voltage a task is getting, maybe even something as simple as using a smaller battery-set? :?

Have I said before that sometimes I almost hate this event?
Well, I'd say more like riding a bike in 1st vs. 7th gear...

Decreasing voltage scares me, I feels like setting yourself up for failure.
That too...

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 433
Joined: November 10th, 2001, 3:06 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: General Questions

Post by fleet130 » April 17th, 2010, 9:09 pm

but sometimes they're hard to figure out and sometimes it's hard to get a *clear* clarification.
What many people fail to understand it that technical (building) event rules are the same a written test. It's up to you to research how components work and whether they violate the rules. Use prohibited items and you've failed the test.That "muffin" fan has lot of solid state support circuitry inside and you need to do your homework to discover it.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

maggymay
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 4:24 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Questions

Post by maggymay » April 20th, 2010, 8:35 am

We want to take a 'first-aid' kit to our competition for possible emergency repairs during set-up. In SOs already run, was your extra 'stuff' impounded along with the MP 'box'?

penclspinner
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: June 1st, 2006, 10:48 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Questions

Post by penclspinner » April 20th, 2010, 12:06 pm

maggymay wrote:We want to take a 'first-aid' kit to our competition for possible emergency repairs during set-up. In SOs already run, was your extra 'stuff' impounded along with the MP 'box'?
I would impound it along with the MP box, I don't see any reason why not to unless you might need it for another event. In any case, why bother trying to toe the line if you don't need to?

Locked

Return to “Mission Possible C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests