Road Scholar

haven2
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar

Post by haven2 »

As a veteran of this event, I think some test questions on the history of cartography would be a nice addition. I know that at certain tournaments the same tests are used multiple years in a row, and some additional questions on a new topic might help to level the playing field a bit.
Image (Yes, I'm from Pa)

A proud member of the Strath Haven High School Science Olympiad Team.
My opinions are merely my own and do not represent those of my teammates or school.
eyeball138
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by eyeball138 »

eyeball138 wrote:I think map history might be a good addition.
haven2 wrote: I think some test questions on the history of cartography would be a nice addition.
I think that history of the different types of map projections, and the progression of intelligence about the shape of Earth would both make the event more challenging. Also though, they could just make the rule that you can only bring in one sheet of notes instead of anything you want for the competition.
My SHMS Team Results:
Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 2nd
States- 4th

Regionals- 1st
States- 2nd
Nationals- 19th

C Division...
eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by eak227 »

That brings up an interesting point. Larger scale cartography would be cool. Like Mercator projections versus other kinds and all that jazz.
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

Yeah I think it might be worth it to include some history of cartography or larger scale maps to add some depth.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
sweetcoop
State: CO

Post by sweetcoop »

it sucks my sixth grade year in this event i could have taken first at state if me and my partner realized that the test that we took was one that our coach wrote and that we had the answer key in our binder and a stupid question about a saddle prevented me from getting my first medal in 8th grade at regionals oh well i guess thats the way the cookie crumbles :x :x :x
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

sweetcoop wrote:it sucks my sixth grade year in this event i could have taken first at state if me and my partner realized that the test that we took was one that our coach wrote and that we had the answer key in our binder and a stupid question about a saddle prevented me from getting my first medal in 8th grade at regionals oh well i guess thats the way the cookie crumbles :x :x :x
Yeah but atleast your partner didn't get any medals and you got medals in every other event except for this one and you were in 4th and 2 points from 2nd.
-one up man :D
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
cooltiger
Division: B

Post by cooltiger »

Hi I'm new to science olympiad, I got on the events road scholar, robo-cross, and scrambler. I am having some trouble really understanding what we do in road scholar. If somebody could tell me what the competition is really like that would be great. Also any important rules or helpful tips would be appreciated
2010 Western LI Regionals: 1st Place@
Battery Buggy: 3rd Place
Junkyard Challenge: 4th Place
Road Scholar: 2nd Place

2010 NY State: 6th
Battery Buggy: 9
Junkyard Challenge: 5th
Road Scholar: 6th
Car of Tommorow: 11th
eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by eak227 »

If it's the same as it has been for years (I haven't seen this year's official rules), then this is one of the strangest layouts for a test you'll see. It's supposed to be laid out in story form, meaning you'll see the (un)creative side of your event sups. Basically, your goal is to answer all the questions, and thereby "solve" some mystery or something in the story. Why that's the layout I'm not sure, but it can be amusing.

Anyway, general strategy is to don't read the story. Usually the questions will be in bold in the story, so you just skim to the first question and answer it. If necessary read some of the context to make sure you understand exactly what is going on, but don't get caught up in the story. Save that as a reward for if you get done early. It's a way to unwind with your free time at the end and just laugh with your partner.

Here are some previous tests. You won't have the maps that go along with them of course, but if you really want to, you can order them. Otherwise, just read through some and you'll see what types of questions you'll get.

It is absolutely crucial that you go buy yourself a quadrangle or two or 5 and just go over them. Make sure you can do azimuths, bearings, gradients, stream gradients, distance conversion, elevation readings, and profile drawings super fast. You should not have to stop to look at your resources for any of that, it should be second nature to you.

Let me know if you have any questions. But before you ask, check these two sets of resources for answers: Soinc Road Scholar. Road Scholar Wiki
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11
eyeball138
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by eyeball138 »

The official rules this year have no changes at all this year. This means that there are still three sections: Quadrangles, state highway maps, and the map drawing.

I have had both tests with an entire story that goes throughout the test, as well as one where there was a few sentences before each question. If you are unfortunate enough to get the first, you should just focus on the questions, not get distracted by the story.

What's really helped me was ordering the guide for Road Scholar off soinc.org. This is a terrific place to get all the basic information needed to do well in the event (eg. azimuth, gradients, determining mileage on a quad.) This is also helpful to bring into the competition because it has pretty much everything you would need to know for the test.
My SHMS Team Results:
Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 2nd
States- 4th

Regionals- 1st
States- 2nd
Nationals- 19th

C Division...
cooltiger