2. Stevensville Lakeshore 2:33.2
3. White Pines 2:25.1
4. Scranton 2:24.6
5. Sacred Heart Academy 2:01.6
6. Paw Paw 1:59.8
1:30 takes you down to 24th
1:00 takes you to 28th
0:30 takes you to 35th

Gym height is on order of 24 ft to peak, but hanging fans (OFF!) probably drop it to 20 to 22 usable.

Great job to all the students!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
eta150
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flight Times

Post by eta150 »

It's a shame that none of Michigan's best Wright stuff teams have a shot at nationals...2:55 in a 22' gym is really good though!
#ACESWILD
Littleboy
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

My plane was capable of at least 2:30 but for some reason (witch I now know) our pland went almost strait up right away turned 90˚, leveled out and went strait into the wall leaving us with 22 seconds. Two of our rubber bands broke at about 90 winds on a 15:1 wind about .65 torch. So we ran out of time. I am still disapointed (escpecially now that I see the times). There is always next year.
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

jander14indoor wrote:Michigan State top times:
1. Plymouth Christian 2:55.6
2. Stevensville Lakeshore 2:33.2
3. White Pines 2:25.1
4. Scranton 2:24.6
5. Sacred Heart Academy 2:01.6
6. Paw Paw 1:59.8
1:30 takes you down to 24th
1:00 takes you to 28th
0:30 takes you to 35th

Gym height is on order of 24 ft to peak, but hanging fans (OFF!) probably drop it to 20 to 22 usable.

Great job to all the students!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
I don't get it! there was big gyms with nothing in them or the events could have been somewhere else. Why would they have wright stuff there :x :x :x
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Because its actually a pretty good room to fly in? I mean, look at the max times, nothing to sneeze at.

While I've looked for a higher ceiling location on campus, the IM West back gyms have allowed us to run a very FAIR contest. And I've seen times well above 5 minutes in there, course that student went on to earn a place on the Jr and then Senior national F1D teams.

I've always liked the IM West back gyms as an event supervisor to run the contest, limited entrances and exits to control, easy to quarantine spectators, easy to control air seperately, not too nasty ceiling, low cost.

And habit, the other places haven't always been available. Demonstration hall, for example, where the trajectory and mission events were held has a nice high ceiling, but the center area is surrounded by netting which can be kind of unforgiving to planes. The setup lets spectators all around the flying area, making it hard to seperate competitors from 'help'. And the ceiling, while high, is kind of a mess. Jenison Field House is too expensive. Some of the taller gyms in IM West are much harder to control access, and air. And so on.

Jeff Anderson
Former WS Supervisor for MSO contest (I got other jobs now at Michigan State Tournament)
Livonia, MI
eta150
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

talicoa wrote:The best time was 4:00 on the state bonus wing. Calculated out it was 4:48. It was very impressive to watch. AA winner was around 4:30 also impressive. Our best time was 4:05, in practice :-) 3:25 when it counted. It was enough for 4th place AA.
I know this is kind of late, but seeing as I can't open the medals sheet, do you know what teams came in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd?
#ACESWILD
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

NY's top time was 3:18, achieved by competitors from Wisdom Lane. A bit under two minutes wrapped up the medals. As well, Maine Endwell got the top Helicopter time, with 76.15 seconds. Both were held in a gym with a decent sized ceiling-I'm terrible at estimating height so I won't fill your head with faulty information. There were some hazards, folded up basketball hoops, girders (right word?), but there was a good sized portion of the ceiling that had flat tiles, so it was fairly easy to avoid these hazards, and just bounce off the ceiling tiles.
In full color since 2006
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

blue cobra wrote:NY's top time was 3:18, achieved by competitors from Wisdom Lane. A bit under two minutes wrapped up the medals. As well, Maine Endwell got the top Helicopter time, with 76.15 seconds. Both were held in a gym with a decent sized ceiling-I'm terrible at estimating height so I won't fill your head with faulty information. There were some hazards, folded up basketball hoops, girders (right word?), but there was a good sized portion of the ceiling that had flat tiles, so it was fairly easy to avoid these hazards, and just bounce off the ceiling tiles.
The height was 27 feet. There was a large center portion with no girders in the center. There were some girders to the end that didn't seem to be much of a problem.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
Taran
Division: B
State: IA

Post by Taran »

We had our best flight today in pretty small gym, about 22' by 45' gym, and about 25 feet high. We had gotten about 1:50, while we had previously only gotten 1:30.

----
First year for SO
Wright Stuff
Meteorology
Can't Judge A Powder
neo_neo_peace
Division: B
State: LA

Post by neo_neo_peace »

My partner and my plane is awesome over 1 minute (not telling the real time) it flies through rafters and flags!

Return to “Wright Stuff B”