Egg-O-Naut C

midnightroxy13
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Egg-O-Naut C

Post by midnightroxy13 »

Yeah! that would be great if you told me about stability and how to stabilize it! would you put the fins under the cone??
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

with our design we put, 535 ml and 800ml of water and it went up to about 150 feet
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:with our design we put, 535 ml and 800ml of water and it went up to about 150 feet
The question is how did you keep the nose cone from fusing onto the bottle when that happened :P
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
midnightroxy13
Division: C
State: CO

Post by midnightroxy13 »

That's my problem! were you able to get your parachute to deploy? How did you do that? Mine flips and nose dives down.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

starpug wrote:
cypressfalls Robert wrote:with our design we put, 535 ml and 800ml of water and it went up to about 150 feet
The question is how did you keep the nose cone from fusing onto the bottle when that happened :P
we have stoppers, i'll post a pic, the bottom half shoots up and when it is out of juice the top keeps going forward and at the top it all seperates, it has gotten3 to 4 minutes consistantly.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by starpug »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:
starpug wrote:
we have stoppers, i'll post a pic, the bottom half shoots up and when it is out of juice the top keeps going forward and at the top it all seperates, it has gotten3 to 4 minutes consistantly.
You're the one with the 15 foot nose cones right?
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

lol yea, but we changed the design to a totally different one, and works a little better, ~30 seconds
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by starpug »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:lol yea, but we changed the design to a totally different one, and works a little better, ~30 seconds
With shorter nose cones? You just said you were getting 4 minutes?
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

yea, just wait for the pic
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by rocketman1555 »

midnightroxy13 wrote:Yeah! that would be great if you told me about stability and how to stabilize it! would you put the fins under the cone??
The basics of stability are that you have to have the Center of Mass (also called Center of Gravity) above the Center of Pressure on the rocket. 1 diameter is usually recommended on model rockets. The simplest way to determine center of mass is to load your rocket with both the egg and water, and then suspend it from a string, and find where it is balanced on the string. To find Center of Pressure you can just make a flat cardboard cutout of your rocket and balance that, which can probably be done on a finger. You then mark the Center of Pressure on the bottle at the same location it is on the cardboard cutout.

If the center of mass is behind the center of pressure then your rocket won't be stable, and if they are relatively close together then it is only marginally stable. To increase stability you have a few options. You can make the rocket longer, make bigger fins, or add more weight to the front. I prefer to make the rocket a little longer, because about one extra bottle length really helps.

I'll try to post some pictures of how to do this in the next few days.
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

Return to “2010 Build Events”