Ornithology B/C

Locked
User avatar
Celeste
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 3:09 pm
Division: C
State: NE
Location: Dreaming of electric sheep.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Celeste » May 23rd, 2010, 7:39 pm

paleonaps95 wrote:Where did you see an emu? I didn't think they were native to Pennsylvania.
They're native to Australia. But some people in the U.S. have them on farms. I'm not entirely positive why, but people do farm emus! That's probably how amerikestrel saw them. Unless there's a bunch of emus on the loose in Pennsylvania! (Which would be kind of funny, but also freaky. Invasive species! :shock: :shock: :shock: )
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)

User avatar
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 606
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: SCAHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by amerikestrel » May 23rd, 2010, 8:37 pm

Celeste wrote:
paleonaps95 wrote:Where did you see an emu? I didn't think they were native to Pennsylvania.
They're native to Australia. But some people in the U.S. have them on farms. I'm not entirely positive why, but people do farm emus! That's probably how amerikestrel saw them. Unless there's a bunch of emus on the loose in Pennsylvania! (Which would be kind of funny, but also freaky. Invasive species! :shock: :shock: :shock: )
Yup, they were being kept in a fenced in area by the side of the road, near someone's house. I think I saw some other birds too, like a swan.

Edit: :D How to start an emu farm
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

User avatar
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: March 7th, 2009, 7:14 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Turning and turning in the widening gyre
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by paleonaps » May 24th, 2010, 4:53 am

I was kidding about being native to Pennsylvania.I knew they were from Australia.
I didn't think about farming them, however. I wonder what they taste like.......
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

User avatar
googlyfrog
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: August 13th, 2009, 8:55 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Strath Haven Middle School
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by googlyfrog » May 24th, 2010, 12:11 pm

amerikestrel wrote:I just saw two emus on the side of the road. :D :geek:

EDIT: What was the nats test like?????????????

Also, time to start talking about next year! This event would be perfect if they:

1. Allowed us binders
2. Shortened the list (just a little bit!)
Junexia and I thought that the nats test was way harder than the states test (PA). We thought they were being really specific at nats and it seemed like it was impossible that we could've known something so specific, but we managed 29th... :x

ahsettle23
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: April 7th, 2010, 5:13 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by ahsettle23 » May 24th, 2010, 1:42 pm

amerikestrel wrote:I just saw two emus on the side of the road. :D :geek:

EDIT: What was the nats test like?????????????

Also, time to start talking about next year! This event would be perfect if they:

1. Allowed us binders
2. Shortened the list (just a little bit!)
I think the list's length keeps the event difficult enough because if it were any shorter, ID would be ridiculously easy.

And i agree that it would be great to have a binder but the field guide makes it more difficult and its unlikely that they would add a binder this year.
Nationals 2011 - 8th Overall
Sounds of Music: 1ST!!!!
Dynamic Planet: 4th!
Fossils: 13th
Ornithology: 16th

Harriton Captain 2011-2012
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning. " - Calvin and Hobbes

User avatar
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: March 7th, 2009, 7:14 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Turning and turning in the widening gyre
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by paleonaps » May 24th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Unfortunately, you're probably right.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

User avatar
googlyfrog
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: August 13th, 2009, 8:55 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Strath Haven Middle School
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by googlyfrog » May 24th, 2010, 5:15 pm

ahsettle23 wrote:
amerikestrel wrote:I just saw two emus on the side of the road. :D :geek:

EDIT: What was the nats test like?????????????

Also, time to start talking about next year! This event would be perfect if they:

1. Allowed us binders
2. Shortened the list (just a little bit!)
I think the list's length keeps the event difficult enough because if it were any shorter, ID would be ridiculously easy.

And i agree that it would be great to have a binder but the field guide makes it more difficult and its unlikely that they would add a binder this year.
Well, a short list could be hard if they put more similar-looking birds on there. There were at most 2 or 3 birds at a time that look very similar this year, but if they shortened the list and had more similar looking birds, it would make the event a lot harder. Or a couple of birds that don't really have any distinguishing features, but that's almost impossible.

User avatar
FueL
Member
Member
Posts: 410
Joined: March 7th, 2010, 12:53 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: WMHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by FueL » May 24th, 2010, 5:18 pm

googlyfrog wrote:
ahsettle23 wrote:
amerikestrel wrote:I just saw two emus on the side of the road. :D :geek:

EDIT: What was the nats test like?????????????

Also, time to start talking about next year! This event would be perfect if they:

1. Allowed us binders
2. Shortened the list (just a little bit!)
I think the list's length keeps the event difficult enough because if it were any shorter, ID would be ridiculously easy.

And i agree that it would be great to have a binder but the field guide makes it more difficult and its unlikely that they would add a binder this year.
Well, a short list could be hard if they put more similar-looking birds on there. There were at most 2 or 3 birds at a time that look very similar this year, but if they shortened the list and had more similar looking birds, it would make the event a lot harder. Or a couple of birds that don't really have any distinguishing features, but that's almost impossible.
Oh, we already have problems with the female look-alikes of all the species. :(
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

User avatar
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 606
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: SCAHS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by amerikestrel » May 24th, 2010, 5:26 pm

I don't think they should shorten the list and give us binders. The problem is it's extremely difficult to know specific details about 185 species of birds, but this could be achieved with the help of binders. Or they could keep binders out and shorten the list slightly. The length of the ornithology list is so much longer than the fossil list, for example, and in fossils you can use binders. I think that this takes away from the quality of this event.

In reality though, I highly doubt that they will do either. I'd say there's a 5% chance of us getting binders. As for the list, they will almost certainly modify it a bit, but there probably won't be any major changes.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

User avatar
junexia
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 147
Joined: August 18th, 2009, 10:24 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by junexia » May 24th, 2010, 5:29 pm

that is so true, and not only for the females, for the juveniles as well. i dont know if any came up on tests this year, but they probably did and happened to be the ones i couldnt identify. when people study for this event they just automatically go to identifying the males because theyre so distingushable, and many times the females are forgotten, which is really bad because they are honestly much much harder to remember, especially for ones that look nothing like the male, such as the red winged blackbird or the mallard. If they wanted to make this event harder they should just have lots of id of female birds or juveniles. Then we'd basically have to study twice as hard to learn all the different versions of each species of birds.
Events for 2011:
Ornithology <3, Fossils, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Dynamic Planet

Locked

Return to “2010 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests