Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Disease Detectives B/C.
Disease Detectives Wiki
2010 Thread
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
mali_16
Division: C
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by mali_16 »

Is disease going to focus on population growth this year or has the topic changed? This is my first year in C division. Can anyone tell me how it is different from B?
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

Planned 2011 Events: Anatomy, Disease Detectives and Ecology
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

It's food-borne illnesses this year, and C is not much different from B - just a little more math and research design.
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

mali_16 wrote:Is disease going to focus on population growth this year or has the topic changed? This is my first year in C division. Can anyone tell me how it is different from B?
Well in division B you get a binder for information and in division C you get a piece of paper. You shouldn't have too much to put on the sheet anyway though so it isn't that big of a deal. And yeah i'm fairly sure it's food borne illnesses

Oh on another note, anyone know if we're still going to have info sheets for the events this year? It was kind of annoying last year to be honest...
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
sciolygrl258
Division: C
State: PA

Post by sciolygrl258 »

Binder? Is that new? We didnt get a binder last year.
PA STATES 2012:
Optics: 3rd
Experimental Design: 5th

Team: 1st!!!!! XDD

17 hr bus drive to Orlando? I think yes! ^o^
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

sciolygrl258 wrote:Binder? Is that new? We didnt get a binder last year.
It was a dumb IN thing. B division got binders which was kind of pointless cause no one even knew what they should put in the binders. But anywho, anyone know if we are getting info sheets for the study events this year? I know no one knows for sure but... I thought I'd ask anyway
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Most study events are probably getting info sheets- especially B division. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't have one.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Most events. I recall Anatomy 2 years ago had no resources allowed (except a calculator) and sometimes they do weird stuff, like when Env. Chem notesheets had to be handwritten, or how you were (are?) allowed a laptop for Astronomy.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Anatomy will probably not have a notes sheet this year, either. I am convinced that the only reason that they had it was that there was so much stuff to memorize.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

I think the info sheets are kind of annyoing, you should understand the material well enough that you don't need one. Having said that I must admitt there have been times when thsoe info sheets have saved my life, like once last year when I spaced on how to do standard deviation. Anywho I'm fairly certain Anatomy will be allowed the same 8.5 by 11 in. two-sided page of notes... :(

Return to “2011 Lab Events”