Sumo Bots C

Ubermensch
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sumo Bots C

Post by Ubermensch »

While re-reading the rules to Sumo Bots, I realized that there is actually a rule specifically against stalling tactics such as the one mentioned.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by paleonaps »

Yes, stalling is not allowed. I think that it needs to be said that these matches are usually over very quickly. A complicated strategy is not always the best- sometimes just having a strong bot and driving well is the best approach.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
old
State: CA

Post by old »

Anyone have any idea about whether 2.4 Ghz spread spectrum radios will be allowed? In the past our team has had terrible trouble with getting jammed (accidentally or purposefully? I don't know) so we would really like to go with 2.4Ghz since this is essentially impossible to jam.

I was looking over last years rules and though there is a stalling penalty it is written to cover the case where a robot is avoiding contact, not for simply standing still once contact is made. It is hard to say if a judge would invoke that penalty for simply standing still once contact is made.

Does anyone know how often matches were won based on the weight of the Sumobot? The last time I watched this event was several years ago at Nationals. That year the overall winner had a very simple but fast little vehicle. They were able to get the advantage by out maneuvering the opponent, not by any great pushing power.
ichaelm
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

2.4 GHz was allowed last year, so I assume it will be allowed this year. There's no reason for them to ban it.

In my opinion, the best possible design would be the maximum weight, have near instant acceleration and braking, have a very high speed, high traction, and would easily get under any other robot. But usually, people decide that you have to choose between power and maneuverability, or compromise. My goal is to see how close I can get to achieving both of those qualities at a very high level.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

ichaelm wrote:2.4 GHz was allowed last year, so I assume it will be allowed this year. There's no reason for them to ban it.

In my opinion, the best possible design would be the maximum weight, have near instant acceleration and braking, have a very high speed, high traction, and would easily get under any other robot. But usually, people decide that you have to choose between power and maneuverability, or compromise. My goal is to see how close I can get to achieving both of those qualities at a very high level.
I concur

"The spirit of the rules" is to attempt to push your opponent out of the ring using your bot. Attempting to win by building a light robot and avoiding getting pushed out of the ring until the time limit is up and the bots are weighed so you can win with the lighter bot breaks the "spirit of the rules." Not that it matters as a good wedgebot can beat a bot that is attempting to exploit the "Lighter bot wins rule" any day.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

True, and the rules prohibit that kind of behavior outright. I remember a bot from a while ago that was essentially a balsa wood box with a flimsy flipping mechanism.
I was afraid I would break it, so I tapped it like a cat does to a mouse. Then I hit it at full force and it flew effortlessly out of the ring. Light bots don't work well.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

Oh how I wish they increase the weight limit
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
bridgebuilder25
State: PA

Post by bridgebuilder25 »

Are the 2011 draft rules for sumo bots any different than the sumo bot New York Trial Event Rules?
Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who actually do.
Be nice to nerds, chances are you'll end up working for one of us.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

harryk wrote:Oh how I wish they increase the weight limit
Wouldn't that just make it more of a battle of wallets? Wouldn't it be better to drop the weight limit?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

starpug wrote:
harryk wrote:Oh how I wish they increase the weight limit
Wouldn't that just make it more of a battle of wallets? Wouldn't it be better to drop the weight limit?
Well the only way to eliminate wallet battles would be to make standard motor sizes and other specifications

But I already built my robot and spent the money based on the trials rules, if they reduced the weight limit I'd have to start all over and the money I spent is wasted
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

Return to “2011 Build Events”