Resources

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Resources

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Resources

Post by illusionist »

What are the advantages of having a longer/shorter motorstick (greate/less distance between the two rotors)? Stability?
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Also, In a dual counter-rotating rotor design, do the two rotors have to be aligned directly on top of each other, or is it okay if the top one is further away from the center of the motorstick than the bottom fixed one?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Motor stick length, longer is 'probably' more stable. Still need to hit the min weight target.

Rotor axis alignment. Theoretically aligned axes will be easier to balance/smoother spinning. That said, these things are pretty lite and slow spinning so some offset doesn't seem to be a problem. At some point it will be a problem, but not something that takes a lot of effort to avoid.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

For attaching the rotating rotor, can I use a propeller shaft holder, such as the ones used for WS planes, except with my own rotor replacing the blades?
franklinknights
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by franklinknights »

illusionist wrote:For attaching the rotating rotor, can I use a propeller shaft holder, such as the ones used for WS planes, except with my own rotor replacing the blades?
im pretty sure u can as long as its not made of rigit plastic. we used plastic ones last year so this year we will have to make it from scratch
Go Central Maroons :)
2011 Season
Helicopter
Dynamic Planet
Mousetrap
Robot Arm
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Don't the rules state that the rotors cannot be made of rigid plastic? I believe that the rules don't talk about the prop hanger.
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

Rule 2.b. states "[t]he functional components must not be constructed from rigid plastic."

"Functional components" are defined in the prior sentence and the definition does NOT include bearings.

Rule 2.e. states "[r]otor thrust bearings may be commercially available items."

This implies that an Ikara prop hanger may be acceptable.

If you want to be safe and not risk a DQ, submit a rule clarification or an FAQ to the nationals web site.
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

OK, I will submit a clarification and post it here. thanks
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

I know this may be an ENORMOUSLY stupid question, but are there any resources you guys can pass along that would help me and my teammates understand the mechanics of this type of helicopter flight?
(Such as best wing shape, big blades on top vs. big blades on bottom, optimal length of shaft, etc.)

Sorry, no one on my team has ever done this event before and I am pretty clueless about what to do.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).

Return to “Helicopters C”