2010 NY Helicopter Champ
obstinate
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rubber

Post by obstinate »

sorry...kind of new to this event.
how many times can we expect to wind the rubber?
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

If you are familiar with Wright Stuff, think of a similar amount to that. You are gonna use a winder to wind so total winds can be over 1000, depending on what size rubber you use.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

I'm using a 1.5 gram loop of 3/32 rubber, and its not enough power to provide lift for my helicopter. Once I use two of those rubber motors, then I have enough lift. Could it be that my helicopter is overweight (It ways in the range of 5 - 6.5 grams without rubber motors)? Any suggestions?
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

Thats part of it but you might need thicker rubber if your helicopter was normal weight anyway.
If by using two, you mean that you are using a total of 3 grams, try using a double strand (4 strands total) of rubber that total 1.5grams if you don't have anything thicker.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

That is correct, for right now, I am using a total of 3 grams, which is probably going to be against the rules anyway. Double strand? Do you mean taking one loop and twisting it four times so that it is 4 strands thick? Or, taking two loops, and doubling each of them?
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

About the larger thickness, what would be ideal? 1/8, 3/16, or 1/4 ?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Weight is CRITICAL. Excess weight is bad. Any recommendation for rubber size for a 4 gm copter will just be completely WRONG for heavier copter and KILL flight time.

I'm pretty sure you will be limited to 1.5 gm rubber, don't fly with more! If your copter is heavier, just user thicker 1.5 gm motors or increase the strands of thinner motors. Or better yet, make a lighter copter.

You CAN use uneven numbers of strands, though its a little tricky. Tie a loop in both ends of the band. Hook one end over the prop hook, loop strand around tail hook, around prop hook again and the other end loop then goes over the tail hook giving you three strands as an example.

So, if you want to fly well, FIRST learn to build to weight. Then play with rubber size and rotor pitch.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Ok, I don't know exactly how much my helicopter weighs yet, I'm guessing that it is around 5-6 based on a comparison with my 7 gram Wright Stuff plane. I'll find out the actual weight once school starts.
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

jander14indoor wrote:Weight is CRITICAL. Excess weight is bad. Any recommendation for rubber size for a 4 gm copter will just be completely WRONG for heavier copter and KILL flight time.

I'm pretty sure you will be limited to 1.5 gm rubber, don't fly with more! If your copter is heavier, just user thicker 1.5 gm motors or increase the strands of thinner motors. Or better yet, make a lighter copter.

You CAN use uneven numbers of strands, though its a little tricky. Tie a loop in both ends of the band. Hook one end over the prop hook, loop strand around tail hook, around prop hook again and the other end loop then goes over the tail hook giving you three strands as an example.

So, if you want to fly well, FIRST learn to build to weight. Then play with rubber size and rotor pitch.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Thanks so much Jeff, I took off a lot of weight from the bottom of my free spinning rotor, and voila! I got 28 seconds in my small foyer!

Return to “Helicopters C”