Will/Did you make it to nationals?

3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Will/Did you make it to nationals?

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m »

Do you think that your team has what it takes to go to Science Olympiad States? Nationals?
Do you think that you are going to do well or not?
Tell us what you think here! 8-)
Good Luck!
I guess for people who already had states, this could be "Did you make it to nationals?" why/why not?
Feel free to add good memories or stories here, too
Last edited by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m on June 14th, 2011, 1:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Will you make it to nationals?

Post by quizbowl »

i think that we have what it takes, but so do two other teams :P
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I absolutely believe that my team has the talent to get to nationals. But it's something my school has never done and it will take a lot of work. In the end, I will do everything it takes to get there, but it may not be enough. I sure hope it is.

Now, I have a bit of a problem with this thread (no offense to 3nv1r0nm3ntal), and that is that someone is going to post how awesome their team is and how they get to nationals every year and how they're better than everyone else. To this person, whomever it may be: Don't be an idiot and do this. Past results have no bearing on this year. You aren't guaranteed an all-time pass to the national tournament. Don't start talking about how awesome you're going to do at nationals until you get to nationals. Past results have no bearing on this year. You aren't guaranteed an all-time pass to the national tournament. Don't start talking about how awesome you're going to do at nationals until you get to nationals. And yes, I wrote that twice for emphasis.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
State: VA

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m »

zyzzyva98 wrote: Now, I have a bit of a problem with this thread (no offense to 3nv1r0nm3ntal), and that is that someone is going to post how awesome their team is and how they get to nationals every year and how they're better than everyone else. To this person, whomever it may be: Don't be an idiot and do this. Past results have no bearing on this year. You aren't guaranteed an all-time pass to the national tournament. Don't start talking about how awesome you're going to do at nationals until you get to nationals. Past results have no bearing on this year. You aren't guaranteed an all-time pass to the national tournament. Don't start talking about how awesome you're going to do at nationals until you get to nationals. And yes, I wrote that twice for emphasis.
if you are from a tiny state though, it shouldn't be too hard because there wouldn't be very many competitive teams. :) ;)
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I don't care. If there are even just two teams, you may not get to nationals. Past results have no bearing on this year. You aren't guaranteed an all-time pass to the national tournament. Don't start talking about how awesome you're going to do at nationals until you get to nationals.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
srsvball95
State: TX

Post by srsvball95 »

zyzzyva98 wrote:I don't care. If there are even just two teams, you may not get to nationals. Past results have no bearing on this year. You aren't guaranteed an all-time pass to the national tournament. Don't start talking about how awesome you're going to do at nationals until you get to nationals.
Completely agree. Your team could be the one who misses Nationals by 2 or 3 points even though your team has what it takes to get to Nationals. Anything can happen at State that could either make/break whether you make it to Nationals or not, trust me, I've had that happen to me.

Bottom line: Nationals is never a given, even if your team is consistently top, since new kids come in, and new kids come in to other teams that may be able to beat reigning champs.
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni
frogzorz
State: PA

Post by frogzorz »

Last year, the difference between Strath Haven's and Shady Side's scores was one point. That one point determined which would go to Nationals, and it was in Strath's favor. So, getting to Nats can depend a lot on luck and coincidence. Oh, and smoothies from von Liebig :D <3

Pretty much, everyone wants to go to Nationals, but obviously not everyone can go. If you work your hardest and you don't get to Nats or if you don't medal, remember that you did your best and there are other chances to succeed, either in Sci. Oly. or in real life.
Harriton '15, Penn C'19
Design Manager and Disease Detectives co-supervisor for SOUP 2018
fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 »

srsvball95 wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote:I don't care. If there are even just two teams, you may not get to nationals. Past results have no bearing on this year. You aren't guaranteed an all-time pass to the national tournament. Don't start talking about how awesome you're going to do at nationals until you get to nationals.
Completely agree. Your team could be the one who misses Nationals by 2 or 3 points even though your team has what it takes to get to Nationals. Anything can happen at State that could either make/break whether you make it to Nationals or not, trust me, I've had that happen to me.

Bottom line: Nationals is never a given, even if your team is consistently top, since new kids come in, and new kids come in to other teams that may be able to beat reigning champs.
Ironically....z missed nats by 2 points last year
Liv

Post by Liv »

I really think we have what it takes. Considering we're not the most popular after school activity in your district, we've gotten very far. We don't have the most funding or anything, but we have a relationship in the team that can really make a difference. I really want to make it to nationals, but so does everyone else. I know there are two teams, who in doubt are amazing, they know who they are. In western long island we're known as a very good team, but in New York State I want to be known as a great team. I would do anything this year to make to Nationals.
Last edited by Liv on October 9th, 2010, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bubba1960
Division: B
State: MD

Post by Bubba1960 »

Yep. We made it last year and we have an even better team this year! :D
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own ~ Adam Savage
North Bethesda Middle School

Return to “2011 Nationals”