Dynamic Planet B/C

HannahD413
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by HannahD413 »

There are no tests for dynamic planet this year posted on the test exchange yet, but you can find so amound the internet.
The best things that I have found are college exams on the given subject. Just google "Earth's Fresh Waters Exam" and you should get some good results. Remember that these are not designed for science olympiad in particular, but they are very good at expanding what you study, or you can only focus on the questions that pertain to topics covered in this event.

One resouce that I just found trying to answer this is a test review, but it has some sample questions. The first couple questions look good, but I am not sure beyond that.

http://geosun.sjsu.edu/paula/103/exam2-studyguide.pdf

Also, this one is a bit better:
http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~simkat/ ... iversI.pdf
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

lllazar wrote:Woot! Learned how to read topo maps today...for the most part. Can anyone tell me what specifically about them we'll need to know...i mean, there are a LOT of symbols related to topo maps, and some of them have no relation to this event.
You should know hachures and benchmarks, but other than that they would probably give you a key if you needed to know symbols. IMO calculating gradient, recognizing and constructing profiles etc. would be more important.
HannahD413

Post by HannahD413 »

lllazar wrote:Woot! Learned how to read topo maps today...for the most part. Can anyone tell me what specifically about them we'll need to know...i mean, there are a LOT of symbols related to topo maps, and some of them have no relation to this event.
I am guessing that you need to know how to read it (the basics using contour lines), as far as symbols go, it would not hurt to learn all of them. However, if you can't learn them all focus on the Rivers, Lakes, and Canals symbols, glacial and permanent snowfall, shoreline, and pretty much any ones related to the topic of fresh water. This is one of the things that would be good to have on a resource sheet, just in case it is on the test. I mean we have 4 pages, it should fit somewhere in there.
HannahD413

Post by HannahD413 »

What kinds of chemical and physical properties of lakes do we need to know? Would physical properties include things like density, temperature, shape, physical processes, ect? Would dissolved oxygen be one of the chemical properties and to what extent would we have to know about it?
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

Yea those sound about right for the properties.
maybe salinity and ph as more chemical properties
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Does anyone know any good textbooks that cover this event? I have never been a fan of learning all my info from the internet. The Earth Science books at my school touch on it but the textbook is definitely NOT college level. Would an AP Environmental Science book have this info?
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

I have been using Physical Geography by Pullmer, Carlson and McGeary
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
sciencenerd13
State: CA

Post by sciencenerd13 »

Will topo maps and water table contour maps be a big part of the event? I get most of the other stuff, but I'm not too good with maps.
I am a golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos), even though the school colors are green and black. :P

Events I'm on for 2011:

Anatomy (except not the endocrine system XD)
Astronomy
Dynamic Planet
Disease Detectives
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

sciencenerd13 wrote:Will topo maps and water table contour maps be a big part of the event? I get most of the other stuff, but I'm not too good with maps.
Depends. Topographic maps were a big part of the test last Saturday at the Atlanta Westminster Competition, but it really depends on the event supervisor.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Topographic maps were huge last year at state; different topic this year, it's entirely possible you'll still see them, but there are probably some other things you should focus on short-term; topo maps are sort of a skill you should develop in the long run after learning the basics- unless you do another map reading event (i.e. Road Scholar) or your partner does.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Return to “2011 Study Events”