SO tryouts?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
French_Toast
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: SO tryouts?

Post by French_Toast »

For our B team, anyone can join, we had 35 or so people this year. We compete two different teams, 1st team, which contains everyone who will likely compete at states, and 2nd team, which is everyone else. They help each other, practice together, and everything. After invitationals, if someone from the 2nd team is looking better than someone on the first team, they get switched, events get moved around, stuff like that. So while the 1st team at the beginning of the year may look exactly like last year's state team, by the time state rolls around again, it could be(not likely, but...) completely different people, depending on who's shown they were the strongest in their events.

The C team is happy if it can find more than ten people interested...
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing
sciolystudy
Division: B
State: IL

Post by sciolystudy »

u guys r all sooooo lucky!!
every year, we get about 120 ish people wanting to join...
the tryout tests they administer are actually harder than the ones at regionals...
meeting 1- packet of tryout events (actual events) are handed out, told to study them
meeting 2- first test, easiest, weed out the bottom 10
meeting 3- second test, weed out bottom 20
and it goes on like this until we have 30-40 people, which is when the coaches consult our science teachers about our motivation

at my old school, we also had lots of people, but they just administered all the tests and then picked the top 30
Hanelia
State: WI

Post by Hanelia »

We have about 35 people trying out =-=
Trust me, not as many as sciolystudy's- but still really bad.
Especially when all of your friends believe B's the "failure team"
and would SERIOUSLY treat you like a mentally defective kid if you

1. got into B team
2. think the B team's ok too

Anyway, we basically have a bunch of pointless meetings on cooperation.
And then the self-study begins/ coach-study begins for about a couple weeks.
Just like 4 weeks or so before competitions tests are held.
The results come in like, 4 days before competition which is SERIOUSLY annoying.
WHO WANTS TO CREATE CHEAT SHEETS FOR EVENTS THEY'RE NOT NECESSARILY DOING?
Not me =-=
sweetcoop
Division: Grad
State: CO

Post by sweetcoop »

We have never had to have tryouts persay but in middle school the coach had the same eilgibility requirement as the schoo, C average, and anyone with either a D or an F a week before Regional or State was told they were off the team, we usually got about 20 or so sigh up. In high school since my school has it as a class we don't have many sign up and usually don't even have 15 members for one team. Last year we got 25 take the class so we had our Varsity team which had 12 of the best members and our Junior Varsity which had every one else. My sophmore year, 2 years ago, we had 17 take the class and there were the two cheerleaders that many of you have heard me mention that missed the regional comp to cheer at state basketball, so that was easy for the coach to decide that they were alternates at state. Three years ago we have a small turn out and only had I think a team of 9 for regionals and we didn't qualify for state.
This year we have 11 out for the team and two other people that may join at semister. So yeah we don't actually have tryouts for the team or even the events for that matter. The coach puts who has studied the most into the event, except he knows that WIDI, Exp. Design, and Forensics is mine.
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

We might actually have some sort of tryout system this year because we actually have more than 15 people currently showing up! :D Next year's going to be pretty intense since we have 11 juniors this year, so assuming all of them join next year...
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by kjhsscioly »

but you can only have 7 seniors on the team...
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Exactly my point. We'll have to weed out some people to get down to 7. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Bubba1960
State: MD

Post by Bubba1960 »

I just took a test like at reigonals. I almost failed caz I forgot my fossils notes :3
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own ~ Adam Savage
North Bethesda Middle School
purplepeopleeater
State: TX

Post by purplepeopleeater »

haha, ok so no one has posted on this in FOREVER>>>>
we had almost 300 kids tryout this year (if not more...) and we get a 100 question test packet, a lab write up, and a series of questions... then we have a mini interview with the head coach and the last day of school results are released. :) and you have from 3 - 7 pm to finish everything. and out of 300 kids 17 8th graders and 17 7th graders make it...
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

purplepeopleeater wrote:haha, ok so no one has posted on this in FOREVER>>>>
we had almost 300 kids tryout this year (if not more...) and we get a 100 question test packet, a lab write up, and a series of questions... then we have a mini interview with the head coach and the last day of school results are released. :) and you have from 3 - 7 pm to finish everything. and out of 300 kids 17 8th graders and 17 7th graders make it...
That is absolutely ridiculous.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps

Return to “General Competition”