Remote Sensing C

dirtisfun
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by dirtisfun »

So i have no idea what this event is about everyone keeps saying human impact on the earth but what does that even mean. Does anyone know some good sites to look at or just what we actually have to do. PLEASE HELP!!!! :cry:
winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

Hmph.

I seems that since zz has taken the event, the thread is alive, as opposed to last year's dead thread.

http://www.ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca/resource/tu ... tals_e.pdf

Ultimate satellite resource.

You're all welcome.

I learned this thing inside and out last year; Clio comes around; test is satellite based. Boom, first place. First gold we've had at Clio in a long long time, if I recall, and only medal that year.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Dude, that's amazing, you should put that on the wi- oh, wait, it's already there. :| But I must admit it's a very good resource.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

On the Nebraska Regional test on the exchange, anyone care to explain number 9?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

zyzzyva98 wrote:Dude, that's amazing, you should put that on the wi- oh, wait, it's already there. :| But I must admit it's a very good resource.
Knew it was there. Can't remember whether I got it from there or put it there, but doesn't really matter.

Just highlighting that, since tbh, most of the wiki's other resources are junk (NASA is way too advanced and highly unnecessary, for example; only the intro is anywhere near viable)

I went through every single resource last year.
Celeste
Division: C
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

dirtisfun wrote:So i have no idea what this event is about everyone keeps saying human impact on the earth but what does that even mean. Does anyone know some good sites to look at or just what we actually have to do. PLEASE HELP!!!! :cry:
In a nutshell, human impact on earth means global warming. You'll find questions about things like greenhouse gas emissions and preventative measures against ecologic destruction. You can have images that show things like shrinking glaciers, deforestation, desertification, and irrigation expansion.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
Galacticdude

Post by Galacticdude »

Based on my previous experiences with this event, it is helpful to have a basis in ecology and reading maps. It does help to have done Road Scholar in B division, but not essential. This really is an event that requires vast amounts of previous knowledge as well as studying, though it can be hard to figure out where to study first.
If there is something that is, but shouldn't be, follow the money.
Galacticdude

Post by Galacticdude »

Celeste wrote:
dirtisfun wrote:So i have no idea what this event is about everyone keeps saying human impact on the earth but what does that even mean. Does anyone know some good sites to look at or just what we actually have to do. PLEASE HELP!!!! :cry:
In a nutshell, human impact on earth means global warming. You'll find questions about things like greenhouse gas emissions and preventative measures against ecologic destruction. You can have images that show things like shrinking glaciers, deforestation, desertification, and irrigation expansion.
Well to say that human impact means global warming is kind of missing some key points. I have seen tests that also deal with deforestation, pollution, and desertification, though I will admit that global warming does play a critical role in this event.
If there is something that is, but shouldn't be, follow the money.
binary010101
State: PA

Post by binary010101 »

The test (as far as I've seen) is oriented more towards satellite imagery than towards the actual impact on the environment. It's mostly been "what's happening in this picture - deforestation" than "what are the effects of what is happening in this picture."
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

binary010101 wrote:The test (as far as I've seen) is oriented more towards satellite imagery than towards the actual impact on the environment. It's mostly been "what's happening in this picture - deforestation" than "what are the effects of what is happening in this picture."
+1

Which is why I suck at that part of the test.

Return to “2011 Study Events”