frogzorz
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Crime Busters B

Post by frogzorz »

poparteeb2 wrote:Hey guys, kinda need some help here for hairs...>.<

Somehow, when I put the hairs under the microscope, they look NOTHING like what they're supposed to look like on the diagrams...

Anyone have any advice on dog/cat/human hair and what to do about it? Maybe I'm using a bad reference sheet...so a website with accurate diagrams would be good as well. Grr.

Thanks guys :)
You could have gotten this from soinc. Which is what I did. Anyway, here's a pdf on fibers: http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... Fiber2.pdf
Harriton '15, Penn C'19
Design Manager and Disease Detectives co-supervisor for SOUP 2018
jjnv
Division: B
State: VA

Post by jjnv »

Newbie here, is there a one stop shop for all the supplies/chemicals we need for this event?
psychodragon_98
State: OH

Post by psychodragon_98 »

i'm like a total newbie to this too. i didnt compete last year and just got assigned it. what is it like? and no one knock me, i dont have the rulebooks or any supplies yet bcuz we just got them ordered. :/
ImageImageImageImageImage
click the eggs/hatchlings so they grow!!!

New NIHF-STEM Middle School

ORNITHOLOGY
CRIME BUSTERS
MICROBE MISSION
BATTERY BUGGY
arugi
Division: C
State: NY

Post by arugi »

psychodragon_98 wrote:i'm like a total newbie to this too. i didnt compete last year and just got assigned it. what is it like? and no one knock me, i dont have the rulebooks or any supplies yet bcuz we just got them ordered. :/
I'm new to this too. However, with some studying on the Crime Busters Wiki you should do fine. For your powders, liquids, and metals, you should ask your team coordinator for these supplies. You need a lot of stuff (as in the rulebook) to succeed in the competition.
Beforehand, you should be able to tell sand and yeast apart from all of the other powders, as well as find other surefire methods to quickly identify each item in question. Also, study fingerprints, chromos, and other stuff you find on the Wiki.
Basically, for SCB B, all you are given a crime and you have to analyze the items at the crime scene and write an essay about the verdict in about an hour. You work in groups of two, and must know about a lot of stuff that's on the Wiki. You must determine many powders, polymers, fibers, etc., try to get your event supervisor to get these to practice with. It's relatively simple, but find a way to fully utilize your time.

Hope that helps!
Johnny was a chemist's son, but Johnny is no more. What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4.
Johnny should have joined Science Olympiad.
psychodragon_98

our teacher told us to study blood spatters and the like... and where is the cb wiki?

ORNITHOLOGY
CRIME BUSTERS
MICROBE MISSION
BATTERY BUGGY
prelude to death
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by prelude to death »

psychodragon_98 wrote:our teacher told us to study blood spatters and the like... and where is the cb wiki?
You click on the little "Wiki" button. Then, you go to 2011 Events. Under B Events, there is a link to a page about Crime Busters. According to the Wiki, the event was shortened to just "Crime Busters" in 2010-2011. So it should be under "Crime Busters" not "Science Crime Busters".
"I like a quiet life, you know me."
psychodragon_98

thanks!

ORNITHOLOGY
CRIME BUSTERS
MICROBE MISSION
BATTERY BUGGY
Momo
State: MD

Post by Momo »

when you mix aluminum with petrolixide. it fizzes! :P
Momo
State: MD

Post by Momo »

prelude_to_death wrote:
psychodragon_98 wrote:our teacher told us to study blood spatters and the like... and where is the cb wiki?
You click on the little "Wiki" button. Then, you go to 2011 Events. Under B Events, there is a link to a page about Crime Busters. According to the Wiki, the event was shortened to just "Crime Busters" in 2010-2011. So it should be under "Crime Busters" not "Science Crime Busters".

your teacher?? do you mean coach or is your teacher your coach??? anyways I would NOT search wiki, they are not the best search engine, I find Bing very useful or just use google. Wiki is stuff that other people can post and it's not always accurate oh wait I need to correct myself. IT IS NEVER ACCURATE for your sake! use another search engine!

~Goodluck~ :)
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by haven chuck »

Momo wrote:
prelude_to_death wrote:

your teacher?? do you mean coach or is your teacher your coach??? anyways I would NOT search wiki, they are not the best search engine, I find Bing very useful or just use google. Wiki is stuff that other people can post and it's not always accurate oh wait I need to correct myself. IT IS NEVER ACCURATE for your sake! use another search engine!

~Goodluck~ :)
I'm fairly certain the information in the Crime Busters Wiki on this site is fully or almost fully accurate. Wikipedia.org is less reliable.
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION

Return to “2011 Lab Events”