Anatomy B/C

2jawedm
Division: C
State: CT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy B/C

Post by 2jawedm »

alright everyone. getting psyched for 2011?!

im posting to let everyone know that im here to answer questions or concerns about material/study tips. credentials, you ask? i've won this event (gold medal) 3 years in a row at the CT state competition (once in B and twice in C) ... which for some reason always includes national information. so, i have prepared for the national tournament even though our school hasn't made it...yet!
just a couple tips for y'all:

-the best review for diseases, for anything, is MayoClinic.com
-get a professional medical review book for the anatomy. if you're an EMT this helps a lot since the review books (like my EMTB one) really help. i have used for the past three years Tortora's principles of anatomy and physiology since i am in touch with a med school- none of that "for dummies" or cliffnotes
-don't use the links they give you on the scioly website to study, esp for muscles. they're only good for reviewing before the tournament once you've learned the information.
-make trillions of flash cards. no joke.

alright. hope this helps!! ask me anything if you have questions.

-2jawedm
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

I have a question.

-Ok. The Rules say that you can bring a double-sided page of notes. My mom takes this to mean handwritten only, but I believe (and hope) these can be typed. Does anyone think I will be penalized if I bring in typed notes???

P.S :Thanks 2jawedm for the helpful advice. I have already made mys muscle flashcards and think it's a pretty good way to study. (Although Tortora's is a bit pricey for me to buy just for the next two months. Any cheaper but still reputable medical books???)
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

aubrey048 wrote: -Ok. The Rules say that you can bring a double-sided page of notes. My mom takes this to mean handwritten only, but I believe (and hope) these can be typed. Does anyone think I will be penalized if I bring in typed notes???
Unless the rules specifically say handwritten notes only (which they do not) you can have the notes in any form you like. Typing your notes is a very good idea.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Paradox21 wrote:
aubrey048 wrote: -Ok. The Rules say that you can bring a double-sided page of notes. My mom takes this to mean handwritten only, but I believe (and hope) these can be typed. Does anyone think I will be penalized if I bring in typed notes???
Unless the rules specifically say handwritten notes only (which they do not) you can have the notes in any form you like. Typing your notes is a very good idea.
Yes, notes can be typed -- in fact, you can include pictures, diagrams, graphic organizers, just about anything.

Also, it is very, very rare for SO to ask you to handwrite your notes (the only instance I can recall is Environmental Chem for the 2008-09 season).
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

aubrey048 wrote:P.S :Thanks 2jawedm for the helpful advice. I have already made mys muscle flashcards and think it's a pretty good way to study. (Although Tortora's is a bit pricey for me to buy just for the next two months. Any cheaper but still reputable medical books???)
You can get an anatomy coloring book (easily found on Amazon), Applied Anatomy & Physiology: A Case Study Approach, and many other books - those have been especially helpful to me though. It's really easy to find anatomy textbooks, especially if it's a class offered at your school (ask for a book from the teacher).
EDIT: What Paradox and Alpha said about note sheets. Find pictures online, type it up, do whatever so that you can cram in information - but remember the layout so that you don't spend all your time looking for stuff.
2jawedm
State: CT

Post by 2jawedm »

AlphaTauri wrote:
Paradox21 wrote:
Yes, notes can be typed -- in fact, you can include pictures, diagrams, graphic organizers, just about anything.

Also, it is very, very rare for SO to ask you to handwrite your notes (the only instance I can recall is Environmental Chem for the 2008-09 season).
Alpha Tauri's right- you can have anything on the two-sided sheet, typed. what I did for last year was I made the font like 8 (no smaller) and the margins like 1/8" on all four sides. but when it comes down to it, you'll only be using it for muscle diagrams--
TIP: dedicate a good half of a page to a full side to muscle diagrams. Several stations require muscle identification, they're the hardest things to remember b/c they're in latin, and you'll do so much better!!
I was considering doing a Möbius strip for my "one-sided" sheet of paper, but the scioly coordinator laughed and said that was not allowed. Darn!
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice. I am so glad that we can do diagrams...

In addition my mom just unearthed a biology slash anatomy coloring book. Great idea. Who says studying can't be fun :D
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

aubrey048 wrote:I am so glad that we can do diagrams...
Diagrams are probably the most helpful thing you can have. Get a SparkCharts-type thing, scan it, and edit it to accommodate all of the muscles necessary - that's what we did last year and it worked beautifully.
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers »

does anybody have any clue what the mechanisms of the pulmonary ventilation is? My partner and I were researching and we couldn't find anything useful on the internet...
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
soinc9876
State: OH

Post by soinc9876 »

I do'nt know but I think it has something to do with calculating lung capacities, or the parts of the body used during inhalation and exhalation :)

Return to “2011 Study Events”