Ornithology B/C

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by rfscoach »

junexia wrote:yes, you can write on it. on the rules it says notes containing information in any form, which means typed or handwritten.

just curious, since we can have two field guides this year, where are most of you getting it from? i bought my own last year, but i dont really want to spend another twenty or thirty dollars buying another one, and i haven't really talked to the other people doing this event about getting a field guide. even though buying another book would be a great help, im not sure if i should since i already have a lot of information in my first field guide, so do all of you buy both by yourself or do you split up the cost with the other people on your team?
I have gotten all our field guides along with various used textbooks for numerous events from Amazon.com at really low prices. Last year one of the guides I picked up was $1.97 plus shipping.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by AlphaTauri »

junexia wrote:yes, you can write on it. on the rules it says notes containing information in any form, which means typed or handwritten.

just curious, since we can have two field guides this year, where are most of you getting it from? i bought my own last year, but i dont really want to spend another twenty or thirty dollars buying another one, and i haven't really talked to the other people doing this event about getting a field guide. even though buying another book would be a great help, im not sure if i should since i already have a lot of information in my first field guide, so do all of you buy both by yourself or do you split up the cost with the other people on your team?
Mine (Sibley and Nat Geo) are also from Amazon, which is a lot cheaper than buying from a bookstore...and I buy both myself because I haven't seen my event partner in months and because I want to have a backup guide just in case.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by kjhsscioly »

We need to buy Sibley, but we bought NG yesterday for $3 at borders... :D
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

AlphaTauri wrote:

Mine (Sibley and Nat Geo) are also from Amazon, which is a lot cheaper than buying from a bookstore...and I buy both myself because I haven't seen my event partner in months and because I want to have a backup guide just in case.
Just got the Nat Geo from the local Borders bargains books section after swearing up and down I was not going to buy any more Ornithology resources.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

kjhsscioly wrote:We need to buy Sibley, but we bought NG yesterday for $3 at borders... :D
Three dollars? Lucky...it was twenty when I last checked...

The Sibley's sort of expensive though; I think Borders had it at $40...I got mine for about $25.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

rfscoach wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:

Just got the Nat Geo from the local Borders bargains books section after swearing up and down I was not going to buy any more Ornithology resources.

At amazon, you can get books for really cheap prices, and like Alpha, i just by mine by myself so that i do have a backup, just in case, which ALWAYS comes in handy, cuz my partner can be forgetful sometimes...I am still deciding on WHAT the 2nd field guide we are going to use is, i posted it before...you can help me by giving suggestions...I have a peterson, and i just borrow from library to see the choices i have, haven't done it yet, banned from books :cry: :cry: :cry: and after, i choose which i like better, and THEN go to Amazon to buy it...i don't really go to barnes and nobles because it is sometimes expensive, especially good field guides, or at least the local barnes and nobles we have is pretty expensive.....Amazon is better for buying, and i wouldn't recommend borrowing from library, because if someone else wants the book, then you cant keep renewing it...and you cant really write in it...

oh, and junexia, do you have more than 2 people on your team?? because that can be hard, because only 2 can compete, and you might have gaps in the knowledge, if you divide and conquer...my group is just me and my friend...the "forgetful" one... :lol: :lol: :lol:
peter, peter, peter
fossilgirl13
Division: C
State: OH

Post by fossilgirl13 »

Just to be sure, Birds of North America by Francois Vuilleumier IS allowed to be used as a guidebook?
Rocks and Minerals, Disease Detectives, Designer Genes
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

fossilgirl13 wrote:Just to be sure, Birds of North America by Francois Vuilleumier IS allowed to be used as a guidebook?
The rules say you can bring published books, not just field guides, so I'd say yes. If the event superviser says you can't use it, just show them that line in the rules. I'd bring a few field guides as backup though, just in case.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
junexia
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by junexia »

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote: oh, and junexia, do you have more than 2 people on your team?? because that can be hard, because only 2 can compete, and you might have gaps in the knowledge, if you divide and conquer...my group is just me and my friend...the "forgetful" one... :lol: :lol: :lol:
well im the main person for ornithology, so my knowledge is pretty thorough, and ornithology is a popular event on our team so everyone who does it is pretty good. im in charge of information, and my partner does more id
Events for 2011:
Ornithology <3, Fossils, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Dynamic Planet
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

junexia wrote:
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote: oh, and junexia, do you have more than 2 people on your team?? because that can be hard, because only 2 can compete, and you might have gaps in the knowledge, if you divide and conquer...my group is just me and my friend...the "forgetful" one... :lol: :lol: :lol:
well im the main person for ornithology, so my knowledge is pretty thorough, and ornithology is a popular event on our team so everyone who does it is pretty good. im in charge of information, and my partner does more id
thats good so you know for sure that you are going to be competing, as well with the partner with id, and the others are just doing it cuz its fun?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
peter, peter, peter

Return to “2011 Study Events”