Ornithology B/C

fossilgirl13
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by fossilgirl13 »

soccerkid812 wrote:What are you guys putting on your notes sheet?
And are you allowed to use both the front and back of it or only one side?
On my note sheet this year, the scioly wiki (link above) was my friend. I would put basic bird terminology, diagrams of birds (skeletal, feathers, etc), state birds (if you can fit them), and anything else that may be of use. Good luck!!!
Rocks and Minerals, Disease Detectives, Designer Genes
junexia
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by junexia »

i would also put general information and pictures w/labels about bird eggs/nests, because it came up last year at nats, and my partner and i were completely lost.
Events for 2011:
Ornithology <3, Fossils, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Dynamic Planet
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

junexia wrote:i would also put general information and pictures w/labels about bird eggs/nests, because it came up last year at nats, and my partner and i were completely lost.
Do you mean eggs and nests for specific species?
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
soccerkid812

Post by soccerkid812 »

junexia wrote:i would also put general information and pictures w/labels about bird eggs/nests, because it came up last year at nats, and my partner and i were completely lost.
what do you mean information about birds eggs and nests? I was not aware that they had specific parts. Can you please provide a link a picture with this information? Thanks
sciolygrl258

Post by sciolygrl258 »

The rules say that each person may bring a cheat sheet. does this mean that you can have 2 copies of one sheet or two different pages??

Did they show you pictures of the eggs/nests or ask you to describe the eggs/nests?
PA STATES 2012:
Optics: 3rd
Experimental Design: 5th

Team: 1st!!!!! XDD

17 hr bus drive to Orlando? I think yes! ^o^
chia
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by chia »

sciolygrl258 wrote:The rules say that each person may bring a cheat sheet. does this mean that you can have 2 copies of one sheet or two different pages??
Did they show you pictures of the eggs/nests or ask you to describe the eggs/nests?
It makes more sense for it to mean two different cheat sheets.
And I didn't go to nationals, but at our states (or regionals? don't remember) last year we were given pictures of several nests with eggs, and we had to write from which birds they were (I can't remember if it was matching or not).
soccerkid812 wrote:
what do you mean information about birds eggs and nests? I was not aware that they had specific parts. Can you please provide a link a picture with this information? Thanks
Not the parts of nests, but identifying which egg or nest belongs to which bird based on a picture/actual one (though you may want to know the parts of the egg as well - stick a diagram of one on your cheat sheets or something).
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

chia wrote:
sciolygrl258 wrote:The rules say that each person may bring a cheat sheet. does this mean that you can have 2 copies of one sheet or two different pages??
It makes more sense for it to mean two different cheat sheets.
And I didn't go to nationals, but at our states (or regionals? don't remember) last year we were given pictures of several nests with eggs, and we had to write from which birds they were (I can't remember if it was matching or not).
soccerkid812 wrote:
Not the parts of nests, but identifying which egg or nest belongs to which bird based on a picture/actual one (though you may want to know the parts of the egg as well - stick a diagram of one on your cheat sheets or something).
huh...?? that's weird...cuz we didn't have to identify the diff types of bird eggs, but we DID have to label like different parts of the egg, like the air sac and stuff...and me and my partner were soooo unprepared and we got confused....but, there is a chance, cuz identifying what bird's egg that is is probably lots harder than naming the parts and you ARE in division C...
peter, peter, peter
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

Yeah, we had to do both...

Does anyone have a guidelines on distinctive nests, because they aren't many "unique" nests. I know the ovenbird, swallows and swifts, but really, how can you tell eagle's nests from hawk's nests?
soccerkid812

Post by soccerkid812 »

Can someone provide a link to a picture or website with a bird egg or nest labeled?
I have looked around and cannot find one.
Thanks
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

this is a good overview, but you have to consult the list to see what egg each one is on this website:

http://www.boneclones.com/ko-400.htm

Return to “2011 Study Events”