EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I'm curious as to how much people have seen questions about specific satellites come up. I have about 2 pages (front and back) devoted to satellites and the instruments used on them, and am wondering if I really need that much, just in case. I've only ever taken one Remote Sensing test at a competition, so I'm looking for experience.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by zyzzyva980 »

We haven't had much... I don't recall any on our first test this year, our second test maybe 5/11 questions were on satellites, and the third test didn't have very many at all... then again, I'm not very experienced in this event either.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
Gillen
State: MO

Post by Gillen »

I haven't had too much about satellites either, but there has been some. I am putting a lot about satellites and the instruments they carry on my cheat sheets, because its hard to memorize all that stuff.
greywolfst1
State: NE

Post by greywolfst1 »

quizbowl wrote:On the Nebraska Regional test on the exchange, anyone care to explain number 9?
Number 9 is using the radiant energy and heat balance and asking a hypothetical question that can be solved only numerically. Basically, look at the figure and numbers and solve. I don't know how to explain it better than this and what is already in the key.
greywolfst1
State: NE

Post by greywolfst1 »

First as a disclaimer, proctors tend to vary greatly in this event. There are ecologist that use remote sensing, but then would emphasize the ecology side. Then there are people who are in NASA and helped design/build the satellites, so they might emphasize satellites. A good exam should cover all these aspects. Since you are allowed to bring in sheets, I recommend including on these sheets the details of all the current satellites put up by NASA. For safety's sake you might put on some others. Having some background in the current topic will be useful. I suggest looking at the tests in the test bank, both of them are very different in format, but you can see what similarities there are and focus on studying those areas if you are limited on time.
2win
Division: C
State: TX

Post by 2win »

Right, so, as a sub, having done Road Scholar once, learned of all types of waves twice, and helped some other kids out with Ecology is good enough.. yes?
k-tx. retiring from scioly.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

As a sub, yes, as long as your partner has a good knowledge of satellites and principles of satellite imagery. If he/she does, then you should be prepared. Just remember to take practice tests to get a feel for the event.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
2win

Post by 2win »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:As a sub, yes, as long as your partner has a good knowledge of satellites and principles of satellite imagery. If he/she does, then you should be prepared. Just remember to take practice tests to get a feel for the event.
Alright, cool, thanks!

**Edit: Are there any formulas that should be learned?? (I just wanna really prep for this, cause I haven't even met my partner for this)
Gillen
State: MO

Post by Gillen »

The only formulas I can think of are ones to determine vegetation, such as NDVI (Normalized Difference Vegetation Index ) or EVI (enhanced vegetation index), but those aren't too terribly important. If you're new to this event, I would recommend concentrating more on the types of remote sensing techniques and their uses, image interpretation, and the effects of humans on the environment (such as global warming, deforestation, etc). Good luck, by the way!
2win

Post by 2win »

Gillen wrote:The only formulas I can think of are ones to determine vegetation, such as NDVI (Normalized Difference Vegetation Index ) or EVI (enhanced vegetation index), but those aren't too terribly important. If you're new to this event, I would recommend concentrating more on the types of remote sensing techniques and their uses, image interpretation, and the effects of humans on the environment (such as global warming, deforestation, etc). Good luck, by the way!
Alright, cool, so there's no bundle of formulas to memorize. And thanks! I've those resources on hand to study. :D

Return to “2011 Study Events”