State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Indiana 2011

Post by Starapollo1 »

This thread is to discuss Indiana's state competition, other invitationals, etc
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
sciolyandmathcounts
Division: B

Re: Indiana 2011

Post by sciolyandmathcounts »

I hope WWMS makes nats again.
WWMS 2010-2011!
Events:
Microbe Mission
Shock Value
Experimental Design
???????????
Starapollo1
Division: Grad

Post by Starapollo1 »

Last year state was dominated by the Bloomingtons!! lol They did a great job but I do hope to see a bit more competition this year! Valpo is a great school and I hope they get up there again. Of course there are a ton of excelent schools in IN, which is what makes it so much fun and stressful, am I right?
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
Comuniello36
State: NY

Post by Comuniello36 »

Hey Indiana!!

I am a freshman at the University of Notre Dame who is actually from NY. I've competed in the Western Long Island Regional 6 times (twice in Div B and four times in Div C) as well as the NYS Science Olympiad four times (two times in each division). I have also served as an event supervisor in the Div B competition while competing at the Div C level.

To be perfectly honest, this past year without Science Olympiad has been pretty boring so I'm trying to take on a new task. It is my intention to host a regional competition at the University of Notre Dame as soon as next year (2012). However, before I approach the university and ask for its permission, I wanted to see if you had any information that you think I should know.

I come from a regional where I compete in a single Division C competition where 70+ teams compete for 7 spots to the state tournament. From what I heard, in Indiana, regionals host both divisions the same day and only host a max of 12 teams per division. I'd also love to know what you all love about your regionals and wish could be improved on! I truly feel that UND would be great for a SciOly competition and I want to see if you feel the same way! Please post! I promise to read!

Your Fellow Science Olympaid (and hopefully Regional Coordinator),
M. Comuniello
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

Comuniello36 wrote:Hey Indiana!!

I am a freshman at the University of Notre Dame who is actually from NY. I've competed in the Western Long Island Regional 6 times (twice in Div B and four times in Div C) as well as the NYS Science Olympiad four times (two times in each division). I have also served as an event supervisor in the Div B competition while competing at the Div C level.

To be perfectly honest, this past year without Science Olympiad has been pretty boring so I'm trying to take on a new task. It is my intention to host a regional competition at the University of Notre Dame as soon as next year (2012). However, before I approach the university and ask for its permission, I wanted to see if you had any information that you think I should know.

I come from a regional where I compete in a single Division C competition where 70+ teams compete for 7 spots to the state tournament. From what I heard, in Indiana, regionals host both divisions the same day and only host a max of 12 teams per division. I'd also love to know what you all love about your regionals and wish could be improved on! I truly feel that UND would be great for a SciOly competition and I want to see if you feel the same way! Please post! I promise to read!

Your Fellow Science Olympaid (and hopefully Regional Coordinator),
M. Comuniello
I heard something about Notre Dame putting in a bid for a state tournament in a few years? Any truth to that?

I think that Notre Dame having a Regional would be a cool idea. I don't know how many schools there are exactly that are relatively close to Notre Dame but i'm sure you could get a group together that would be commited go, the only problem I can think of is that there are obviously set sites already in place for regionals...
In Indiana you don't have 70 teams at a regional... you have like... 12 at MAX, most of the time it's closer to 8. They're competing over 1, or 2 (sometimes 3) spots to state. Our state comp is roughly 24ish teams and it's fairly competitive (from our standpoint).
If it turns out ND can't have a regional tournament you could always host an invitational. I know a lot of schools in that area who compete in several invitationals throughout the year and it's always fun having an invitational at a college. on the one hand you get to see what the college is really like and the professors running events usually write really good tests.
Hope this helps some!

Also in other news, who is heading to the Northridge Invite this weekend? There's supposed to be a LOT of schools, any of you guys?
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

I went to Northridge! That was a great invitational - and a really nice high school! The night before we went to the mixer with the Northridge teams; it was really fun!

My team took third! I won Wind Power and Experimental Design, and placed in Forensics, Technical Problem Solving, and Astronomy.
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

REgionals are almost here!!!!! I think the first one was this past saturday at Goshen, anyone head there? We're competing at IPFW on saturday. Let me know how your schools do as you head to regionals!
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

Yeah, I helped out at Goshen with Junkyard and watched some of the other building events. There were some pretty cool devices.
Happy Feet
Division: C

Post by Happy Feet »

Can't wait for regionals. This will be my first.
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

Happy Feet wrote:Can't wait for regionals. This will be my first.
What regionals are you heading to?

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”