Storm the Castle B

Singh1997
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by Singh1997 »

With the murlin though, the string is used only to connect the wheel, so would it be allowed?
pokegman
State: MI

Post by pokegman »

brobo wrote:
pokegman wrote:Can you put the guides/rails on the FAT at an angle?
I don't see why not, but at the same time I don't see why you would want to. You would lose a lot of energy buy angling the rails.

I know the trebuchet loses the energy, but we can't seem to keep our trebuchet from going off unexpectedly without the angle. How do we keep the rails straight and the arm from moving without the counterweight?
Thanks
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TX

Post by brobo »

pokegman wrote:
brobo wrote:
pokegman wrote:Can you put the guides/rails on the FAT at an angle?
I don't see why not, but at the same time I don't see why you would want to. You would lose a lot of energy buy angling the rails.
I know the trebuchet loses the energy, but we can't seem to keep our trebuchet from going off unexpectedly without the angle. How do we keep the rails straight and the arm from moving without the counterweight?
Thanks
Add some weights or something to the other side to make it ballance out.
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.
pokegman

Post by pokegman »

brobo wrote:
pokegman wrote:
brobo wrote:Can you put the guides/rails on the FAT at an angle?

Add some weights or something to the other side to make it ballance out.
Okay Thanks brobo! from what you told me we decided to work with lowering the incline a bit but still it doesn't fire without the CW. I just hope the judges won't think we're adding energy to the device with the decline.
Thanks again!
Friedoyster3
State: IN

Post by Friedoyster3 »

It specifically says in the rules that the center of gravity must not drop in the launch, so angling the rails
would be illegal. What we did to keep our arm from coming off the track was to put washers and pins on the ends of the falling bar that falls through vertical guides if that makes sense.
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
pokegman

Post by pokegman »

Friedoyster3 wrote:It specifically says in the rules that the center of gravity must not drop in the launch, so angling the rails
would be illegal. What we did to keep our arm from coming off the track was to put washers and pins on the ends of the falling bar that falls through vertical guides if that makes sense.
So I guess we need to redo the guides then. Our fall bar isn't the problem (the first thing we did was secure that in place w/ washers and pins). Our wheels just always roll backwards without the counterweight BECAUSE of the weight of the fall bar so we're just going to add weight to the end of the arm to even it out.
mtheleman
State: KS

Post by mtheleman »

Friedoyster3 wrote:I was at Thomas Jefferson Middle School's regional toady and they had a 2.222 kg CW and a 41.6g projectile. They had placed their target at what I'm guessing to be somewhere for 17-20 meters (granted they were plagued with a bout of 3 miss fires and ended up launching the ball backwards on all three shots). The point is is that if you can come close to that distance you should be set for most regionals if not most state competitions.
Saturday there was a team that placed the target at 22 meters and over shot it all three throws. 3kg cw and 40 gram projectile.
Michael Phelps trains with Chuck Norris swimming behind him.
Friedoyster3

Post by Friedoyster3 »

mtheleman wrote:
Friedoyster3 wrote:I was at Thomas Jefferson Middle School's regional toady and they had a 2.222 kg CW and a 41.6g projectile. They had placed their target at what I'm guessing to be somewhere for 17-20 meters (granted they were plagued with a bout of 3 miss fires and ended up launching the ball backwards on all three shots). The point is is that if you can come close to that distance you should be set for most regionals if not most state competitions.
Saturday there was a team that placed the target at 22 meters and over shot it all three throws. 3kg cw and 40 gram projectile.
Do you happen to know if this was the farthest placed target and also, what kind of trebuchet did they use?
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
mtheleman
State: KS

Post by mtheleman »

Friedoyster3 wrote:
mtheleman wrote:
Do you happen to know if this was the farthest placed target and also, what kind of trebuchet did they use?
That was the farthest throw that I have seen this year. I was helping run the event on Saturday. I also ran it in a January competition. It was a floating arm design painted pink. I think the color choice may have given them the edge.
Michael Phelps trains with Chuck Norris swimming behind him.
Friedoyster3

Post by Friedoyster3 »

That was the farthest throw that I have seen this year. I was helping run the event on Saturday. I also ran it in a January competition. It was a floating arm design painted pink. I think the color choice may have given them the edge.
Yeah because that seems to be a decent trebuchet, but I have seen way better. Also, would you agree that usually one mabey two floating arms show up to competition especially at the regional level?

Return to “2011 Build Events”