Storm the Castle B

adithyabigal
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by adithyabigal »

Our regional competition didn't have StC event, so I don't know what increments the supervisors will use to measure the counterweight. Any help? :?:
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

adithyabigal wrote:Our regional competition didn't have StC event, so I don't know what increments the supervisors will use to measure the counterweight. Any help? :?:
Er what? The event supervisors will provide the counterweights for you to use. The counterweight can range from 1 - 3 kg. I'd imagine that for ease of use you'd get 1,2,3 kg masses or potentially 1.5 or 2.5 kg masses simply because these masses come as a single counterweight. That help?
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TX

Post by brobo »

penclspinner wrote:
adithyabigal wrote:Our regional competition didn't have StC event, so I don't know what increments the supervisors will use to measure the counterweight. Any help? :?:
Er what? The event supervisors will provide the counterweights for you to use. The counterweight can range from 1 - 3 kg. I'd imagine that for ease of use you'd get 1,2,3 kg masses or potentially 1.5 or 2.5 kg masses simply because these masses come as a single counterweight. That help?
Our invitationals had some really odd number like 2.365.... don't bet on a nice number.
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.
Slothface
State: TN

Post by Slothface »

alongusername wrote:Since my arm is unstable with a counterweight attached to it, I've built a box to hold the counterweight. Is this allowed, because it may contribute more power to the launch?
Yeah, i am wondering the same. Our counterweight fell Off cause it wasn't an actual hook. We were going to make a sling/pouch to hold the counterweight so we read the rules and it didn't say no but I would make it detachable just in case it's not allowed. :)
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TX

Post by brobo »

Yes, you are allowed to use a basket/bucket/box as long as it doesn't violate the Energy Rule.
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.
mtheleman
State: KS

Post by mtheleman »

brobo wrote:
penclspinner wrote:
Our invitationals had some really odd number like 2.365.... don't bet on a nice number.
I believe that is why you are supposed to have a calculations sheet. That way you can calculate distances between what you actually tested.
Michael Phelps trains with Chuck Norris swimming behind him.
mtheleman
State: KS

Post by mtheleman »

Friedoyster3 wrote:
That was the farthest throw that I have seen this year. I was helping run the event on Saturday. I also ran it in a January competition. It was a floating arm design painted pink. I think the color choice may have given them the edge.
Yeah because that seems to be a decent trebuchet, but I have seen way better. Also, would you agree that usually one mabey two floating arms show up to competition especially at the regional level?
About half of the devices were floating arms.
Michael Phelps trains with Chuck Norris swimming behind him.
pokegman
State: MI

Post by pokegman »

With 1 kilogram of counterweight and 55 gram projectile we were able to go about 6.1 meters. When we went any higher with the CW, we hit the ceiling! (we were practicing in the hallway) So you think this is a good distance?
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

brobo wrote:
penclspinner wrote:
Slothface wrote:
alongusername wrote:Since my arm is unstable with a counterweight attached to it, I've built a box to hold the counterweight. Is this allowed, because it may contribute more power to the launch?
Yeah, i am wondering the same. Our counterweight fell Off cause it wasn't an actual hook. We were going to make a sling/pouch to hold the counterweight so we read the rules and it didn't say no but I would make it detachable just in case it's not allowed. :)
Yeah the reason why I mentioned the nice, rounded kg values was because those are the standardized masses that come in a normal mass set, are a single counterweight and have attached hooks.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

The last time I ran this event I just added a hook to a scrap piece of 6in diameter (round) steel bar stock. The total mass was something like 1863.567 kg (I actually measured to 4 decimal places and rounded to 3).

Edit: Just a small typo! I typed kg instead of g. It should be 1863.567 g.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

Return to “2011 Build Events”