2011-2012 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2011-2012 Events

Post by quizbowl »

It seems appropriate to start this thread considering that several states have already had their state competitions. What events will be in next year?
So far, the only big changes I see is the ID events (Fossils --> Rocks, Orni --> Forestry), Ecology being Tundra and Freshwater, and new systems for Anatomy. What others are probably going to change?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
Frogger4907
State: KS

Re: 2011-2012 Events

Post by Frogger4907 »

Dynamic planet might change topics.. but I'm not sure how often it rotates.
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals
Celeste
Division: C
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

Frogger4907 wrote:Dynamic planet might change topics.. but I'm not sure how often it rotates.
I don't think it will. This is only the first year for fresh water, and previous topics have been kept for multiple years.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

Ornitho and Fossils are gone....cry cry, but i think Forestry and R&M are coming back? Im def doing those two, i believe towers and Heli have one more year, Mission Possible is gone most likely as well....i really want to see sumo bots as a real event at the state level, in Illinois they only have it as a trial at state and they have Robot Ramble in place of it, which isn't as fun personally as Sumo Bots (lot more strategy based).
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

Celeste wrote:
Frogger4907 wrote:Dynamic planet might change topics.. but I'm not sure how often it rotates.
I don't think it will. This is only the first year for fresh water, and previous topics have been kept for multiple years.
Dynamic will remain the same for next year.
Possibly a change in topic in Remote Sensing?
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex »

lllazar wrote:Mission Possible is gone most likely as well....
But in previous years didn't they just keep mission and change the theme/tasks?
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

Newest Summer Institute agenda posted on soinc.org 3/17/11 has more changes than expected. http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... -17-11.pdf

In addition to expected return of Rocks and Minerals, Forestry, Reach of the Stars, Meteorology (climate) we see the return of Food Science (b&c), Keep the Heat replaces Shock Value (b) and Wind (c), Battery Buggy (b) becomes Mousetrap and Mousetrap (c) becomes Wheeled Vehicle. Sumo goes away and is replaced with Robot Arm. Fermi may replace Mission Possible. And the biggest shocker - Ecology B&C is Replaced with Water Quality B&C
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

rfscoach wrote:Newest Summer Institute agenda posted on soinc.org 3/17/11 has more changes than expected. http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... -17-11.pdf

In addition to expected return of Rocks and Minerals, Forestry, Reach of the Stars, Meteorology (climate) we see the return of Food Science (b&c), Keep the Heat replaces Shock Value (b) and Wind (c), Battery Buggy (b) becomes Mousetrap and Mousetrap (c) becomes Wheeled Vehicle. Sumo goes away and is replaced with Robot Arm. Fermi may replace Mission Possible. And the biggest shocker - Ecology B&C is Replaced with Water Quality B&C
That's surprising - Ecology was expected to cycle through to new topics. With Food Science coming in, what will it replace?
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

quizbowl wrote:
rfscoach wrote:Newest Summer Institute agenda posted on soinc.org 3/17/11 has more changes than expected. http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... -17-11.pdf

That's surprising - Ecology was expected to cycle through to new topics. With Food Science coming in, what will it replace?
Food Science replaces Can't Judge a Powder in B and as I look through the events it may not be in Div C.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex »

quizbowl wrote:

Yeah the nationals science olympiad committee can only give out 23 set tasks, and I think each state sets two trial events. For C division there will be 6 changes, if the information from that link is official.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

Return to “General Competition”