Frogger4907
Division: Grad
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designs and Kits

Post by Frogger4907 »

jander14indoor wrote:
Frogger4907 wrote:Just so all of you know the "river city rocket" helicopter kit, fails to comply with the 2011 helicopter rules.
Please be specific, who determined this, and based on what criteria in the rules. I looked at the picture and THINK I know, but could be wrong. If its what I think it is, its not the
Frogger4907 wrote:<SNIP> the whole bearing system on the river city rocket is illegal.
but one easily changed (as you build, a pain after the fact) piece.

Details, please!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Yes it is easy changed but the rules state that aluminum tubing must be used to attach two functional components of the copter, they have the aluminum tube connecting the tops and bottoms of the same rotor, yes the music wire does run threw it, however the music wire is what is attaching the two functional components not the aluminum tubing, which holds the top and bottom together and provides a cavity for the wire, but is doesn't actually take on the role of directly connecting two functional components. (I apologize I shouldn't have said bearing system but what I'm talking about is right next to it)
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

First, as usual, this is NOT the place for official rulings, clarifications, etc. And no statement to follow should be used as such. The only place for that is the event supervisor at your tournament, and the national clarifications web site.

OK, your logic is rule 2.b which states: "The functional components (rotors, rotor blades, vertical stabilizing surfaces, and motor stick) of the helicopter must be constructed only from wood, paper, plastic film covering, and glue." That tube glued between the spars is an integral part of the rotor, not the connection, therefore must be from one of those allowed materials, not aluminum. Correct? The rest of the bearing is OK, again, correct?

Guess I have to say that's pretty convincing. Again, not a ruling at a contest, or an official clarification, but its pretty simple to correct. Replace the tube with a balsa stick. Certainly the safe choice.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

Interesting, that sounds like a valid argument, but as Jeff says above this is not the place for official clarifications.

I would suggest submitting an official clarification through the national website if you plan on using this kit as designed.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
Frogger4907

Post by Frogger4907 »

jander14indoor wrote:First, as usual, this is NOT the place for official rulings, clarifications, etc. And no statement to follow should be used as such. The only place for that is the event supervisor at your tournament, and the national clarifications web site.

OK, your logic is rule 2.b which states: "The functional components (rotors, rotor blades, vertical stabilizing surfaces, and motor stick) of the helicopter must be constructed only from wood, paper, plastic film covering, and glue." That tube glued between the spars is an integral part of the rotor, not the connection, therefore must be from one of those allowed materials, not aluminum. Correct? The rest of the bearing is OK, again, correct?

Guess I have to say that's pretty convincing. Again, not a ruling at a contest, or an official clarification, but its pretty simple to correct. Replace the tube with a balsa stick. Certainly the safe choice.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
That is correct, and I only posted this to inform others of the flaw not to ask for a clarification.
20 Div C State Medals
WCarneyJX
Division: C
State: FL

Post by WCarneyJX »

Hello All,

I apologize for not responding to these questions sooner. As the designer of the River City Rocket I would argue that since the instructions for the kit say not to glue the tubing to the spars that it is not integral to the rotor but serves as a bushing (and therefore part of the connecting process)for the shaft.

As has been mentioned an official ruling would be in order.

Bill Carney
River City Science Academy - Florida 2010 Wright Stuff Champs
Coach for:
Storm the Castle
Helicopter

"My kid and my latinum go to Starfleet Academy"
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

As usual, this is NOT the place for official rulings. Those MUST be submitted to the NSO web-page.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Frogger4907

Post by Frogger4907 »

WCarneyJX wrote:Hello All,

I apologize for not responding to these questions sooner. As the designer of the River City Rocket I would argue that since the instructions for the kit say not to glue the tubing to the spars that it is not integral to the rotor but serves as a bushing (and therefore part of the connecting process)for the shaft.

As has been mentioned an official ruling would be in order.

Bill Carney
But the tube its self isn't actually connecting two separate "functioning components" it only serves as a place for the music wire (Which connects the two) to travel threw as it connects to the top of the rotor.
20 Div C State Medals
Lily Essence
State: TX

Post by Lily Essence »

I'm confused with all this talk about the materials...

I have a heli that uses the Ikara Prop Hanger(a small plastic piece) and the top spinning blades are connected to another small plastic piece (the tiny part above the hook in that picture) that goes into the hanger.

The biggest quesiton I have is: what defines a "rotor"?

I've only put a loose general definition to rotors being anythign that spins... the top mylared(is this a word?) blades are removeable but the inner plastic piece is attached to the blades by a piece of metal. I didn't consider the ikara parts to be part of my rotor but... does this plastic end up being included in my "rotor" and therefore my heli is not in specs? I have not been told by my proctors at three different contests that it isn't correct, but I would like to know y'alls opinion on this...

Sorry if I'm not that clear on the heli thing. This is also why I'm not in Write It Do It...
Silent and Listen are spelled with the same letters
Seven Lakes SLHS Science Olympiad
Retiring my competition career! Off to scold the newbies as a manager!
thewinner
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by thewinner »

I think a rotor is something that spins to provide lift.
I win.
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

Lily Essence wrote:I'm confused with all this talk about the materials...

I have a heli that uses the Ikara Prop Hanger(a small plastic piece) and the top spinning blades are connected to another small plastic piece (the tiny part above the hook in that picture) that goes into the hanger.

The biggest quesiton I have is: what defines a "rotor"?

I've only put a loose general definition to rotors being anythign that spins... the top mylared(is this a word?) blades are removeable but the inner plastic piece is attached to the blades by a piece of metal. I didn't consider the ikara parts to be part of my rotor but... does this plastic end up being included in my "rotor" and therefore my heli is not in specs? I have not been told by my proctors at three different contests that it isn't correct, but I would like to know y'alls opinion on this...

Sorry if I'm not that clear on the heli thing. This is also why I'm not in Write It Do It...
The rules state that you can't use rigid plastic on any part of your helicopter.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).

Return to “Helicopters C”